Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protest SOPA - Pirate Digitanks

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Englebert3rd View Post
    B-b-b-b-but I like SOPA.

Spoiler warning:
    :trollface

I'm downloading it, so I'm contributing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Hedgehog View Post
    SOPA sucks! it's a very dangerous bill as well PIPA
    Are you sure "Englebert3rd" was not being sarcastic?

(there is a mispelled "trollface" that was supposed to be this smile in his spoiler: )

Thanks
    EP Points

Quite a few sites are on blackout. Keep up the good fight.

Thanks

"You may stop me, but you can't stop us all." Hackers (1995)

Thanks
    EP Points

SOPA
    Attachment 29350

PIPA
    Attachment 29351

These are what those words mean in my language. I think that the whole world will be affected by that, but my country really doesn't seem to care. Besides words on news about the blackout, the brazilian versions of Google and Wikipedia didn't block us in any way. They seem to be taking those words by the meaning I just gave.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Fischer View Post
    SOPA
    Attachment 29350

PIPA
    Attachment 29351

These are what those words mean in my language. I think that the whole world will be affected by that, but my country really doesn't seem to care. Besides words on news about the blackout, the brazilian versions of Google and Wikipedia didn't block us in any way. They seem to be taking those words by the meaning I just gave.
    Pretty funny stuff man, those Hidden agenda bastards can take a "PIPA" and shove it up their ASS

Thanks
    EP Points

you know if people were this aware about the detention bill (the one that will put us in fema camps) this might not have happend in the first place.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm glad someone decided to spread the word about this to people who know what their doing, political-wise. I would probably send my local governor a rubbish E-Mail that would get ignored. X'D

KILL SOPA AND PIPA! >(

This game, what's it like? I have a crappy computer that probably won't be able to play it. :p Oh, actually, I don't currently have the hard drive space or bandwidth for it right now... (Seeding a bunch of other large torrents, heheh)

Hooray for just about everyone on the internet being against it! I thought there would be a few fools who are all like, "But SOPA and PIPA should be passed because of (X bad reason here)!". Luckily, I've seen nothing of the sort so far. Just so you all know, if either one of them passes, I'm done with the internet for the rest of my life, until something comes along to counter-balance them out. So yeah. I've already forgotten about the healthcare bill. What ever happened with that? Lol
    - Lots of cliché pictures, "cards" and quotes here -
    - Random GIF image here -
    - Custom user graphic here -

Thanks

DOWN WITH SOPA! TELL EVERYONE!

Thanks

Hope SOPA and PIPA will go down the drain

Thanks

Wait everyone there is a new bill called OPEN and basically it's the same thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Myst219 View Post
    Wait everyone there is a new bill called OPEN and basically it's the same thing.
    Myst219, you need to check out this website: www.dictionary.com . Then maybe you could better understand things... english and your grasp of it don't seem to be your strong suit. (That is probably overboard, but I'm annoyed)

I'm not saying that OPEN is perfect and great, or that it even should happen, but you obviously only know that people are comparing it to SOPA, so it MUST be bad. Learn the issues, kid.

OPEN is at http://www.keepthewebopen.com/

OPEN is much better written to do what should be done to control some out-of-control practices in a way that SOPA made impossible. First off, and most importantly, OPEN DOES NOT do anything to touch DNS entries or search engines. These were the two big flaws with SOPA. What does this mean? Well, under SOPA, the government could force Google to not link to anything that links to illegal material. OPEN has no effect on Google, et al. The DNS part? SOPA allowed websites to be 100% cut off from the internet through the DNS server. OPEN DOES NOT let this happen.

Also:
    - There is no assumption of guilt. Under SOPA, if there was a complaint, it was acted upon. With OPEN, it opens up an adjudication for review, where the complaintant HAS to prove their case (and just saying "see, that's copyrighted material!" isn't enough). In other words: full disclosure and (some) due process. The "some" comes into play in that it depends how it would actually be impliemnted by the courts, compared to how it's written.

- If a site is considered a "rogue" site under that review, the site can make changes and apply to be taken off the "rogue" list. SOPA is more or less a one-way street.

- It actually ID's what a "rogue site" is.... and very explicitly. Most importantly, it only applies if your site "Has only limited purpose or use other than engaging in infringing activity and whose owner or operator primarily uses the site to willfully engage in infringing activity." In other words, Say you run a website that is 50% news, etc, etc and 50% illegal activities, OPEN doesn't apply to you. (concession: No word yet what the threshold for "limited purpose" means) Even better: they say you need to WILLFULLY engage. This means that a webmaster loses a lot of responsibility for what users do on the system. Additionally, they say that if you're registered at a U.S. address, you can't be a rogue website (but are held to U.S. laws), If you have a "domestic domain name" (in other words, no .com, .net, etc... and actually this isn't adequtely defined yet, so it might not end up this way) you can't be a rogue website. If you do business in the U.S., you can't be a rogue website. (In a second, I'll show why I bring those up)

- Other sites that are excluded are those with good "notice-and-takedown" procedures. If you appear to be trying, you're fine. And while people hate DMCA (understandably so), it included a safe harbor section called a 512. SOPA walked right over that "safe harbor" section.

There are a few other odd things, though, and not all good of course. For example, a foreign website can opt out of it if they agree to consent to follow U.S. jurisdiction rules.

And there is a significant economic situation that has already popped up, related to the above... there is a fear that, to avoid some of this oversight (since this is all only a U.S. law and how the U.S. responds to global actions that happen in the country), websites will register in the U.S., but will use foreign services for ad servers and other providers for the side parts (but not the actual website itself), leading to an exodus of people using foreign companies for these jobs... in other words, using a Chinese company to supply Google Ads rather than a U.S. company.

Now, there are still significant problems with it (some great articles at Ars Technica last month), and I'm not saying it will or should happen, but comparing it to SOPA is asinine and shows you don't know anything about the actual issue other than you want free stuff.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well i can say that SOPA and PIPA is good for devs, producers, and othe kind of people.. on the other hand its not so bad for us too, i mean the more they earn the more they create.. But i can proudly say that i HATE SOPA and PIPA =P

If you ask me, there's no happiness to be found in death... no peace either. I'm leaving here alive

Thanks

If any of these things did get passed, and the majority of the people were against it, there would probably be another internet created by hackers and the like. Plus if everyone is against it, how is it supposed to get passed? I feel like I need to do reasearch on this bill since all I've heard is it's anti-piracy, but probably through loopholes or something the government is trying to censor/strongly control the entire internet. Am I right on this, or can someone give me a link explaining how these things are supposed to work?

Thanks

With SOPA and PIPA, the internet will become a very desolate, poor of information place. Can you imagine not being able to watch your favorite animes!? Because of internet's free reign, the japanese culture and animes became popular. What about games? Yes, you can find pirated games on the internet, but who wants to waste money on a bad game? Why not give it a test drive first? If you like it, then buy it to support the creators. Piracy is also another way of free advertisement. I can see they will most likely lose a lot of money. I could be wrong, though. But nevertheless, the retaliation after megaupload was taken down was really impressive. Can you imagine what will happen if SOPA and PIPA pass... :O

Thanks
    EP Points

if SOPA passes, Anonnymus would take out ALL major websites

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean