Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey guys need help with processer.

Thanks

Default Hey guys need help with processer.

Hey guys I wanna record videos in my pcsx2 with fraps and i need a good processor.

Is this processor good http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-BX8061...ht_1392wt_1139

thanks and i want one cheap

Thanks

When recording in fraps, your disk access speed will slow down your game, not the processor. What resolution size do you plan on recording and what games do you have in mind? I ask because some games are still unplayable at speeds of even 5ghz due to the emulator. I've used the crappy (not really) A4-3400 and most PS2 games don't require me to add speed hacks. Only the later made games that had more polish require speed hacks. Mainly the bulit-in video card is the only limiting factor.

Although I write that, the i5-650 should do the job. Consider trying to overclock it to 3.6-4ghz if you buy that and wait for a second opinion. I don't know what you are attempting so no one can give you a definite answer.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nemo View Post
    When recording in fraps, your disk access speed will slow down your game, not the processor. What resolution size do you plan on recording and what games do you have in mind? I ask because some games are still unplayable at speeds of even 5ghz due to the emulator. I've used the crappy (not really) A4-3400 and most PS2 games don't require me to add speed hacks. Only the later made games that had more polish require speed hacks. Mainly the bulit-in video card is the only limiting factor.

Although I write that, the i5-650 should do the job. Consider trying to overclock it to 3.6-4ghz if you buy that and wait for a second opinion. I don't know what you are attempting so no one can give you a definite answer.
    TBH i don't like Intel's i find them slow and heat heat up

but also you want to make sure that your mother board is a Intel if your getting a Intel (can you tell my your Current CPU (processor)

to find out right click on my Computer go to properties and it will say either AMD or Intel

Because if you have a AMD you can get a quad for the price of that Intel i5

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:
    Processor: AMD FX PileDriver FX-8350 8 Core CPU ~4.0GHz (4.2GHz When Turbe Kicks in )
    Memory: 16GB AMD Entertainment Edition Ram Sticks (4x4096)
    Hard Drives: 180GB OCZ Vertex SSD for OS 1TB For Games 750GB For Data 500GB for Movies and Ubuntu)
    DVD Drive:1 ASUS Blu-Ray Burner and 2 DVD burners
    Video Card: Asus GeForce 660
    Motherboard: ASUS M5A97
    Power Supply: OCZ ModXstream 650 Watt
    Computer Case: Cooler Master Strom Stryker (White)

Thanks

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53 GHz 2.53 GHz

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bradyownz View Post
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53 GHz 2.53 GHz
    OK so you already had a Intel then there's no point in switching to a amd right now since you want to spend little money the I5 you picked isn't Much better then yours right now there both dual cores the i5 just has a fast clock speed

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:
    Processor: AMD FX PileDriver FX-8350 8 Core CPU ~4.0GHz (4.2GHz When Turbe Kicks in )
    Hard Drives: 180GB OCZ Vertex SSD for OS 1TB For Games 750GB For Data 500GB for Movies and Ubuntu)

Thanks

Intel doesn't equal gold. A dual core 2.5ghz processor will still be slow, regardless if it is AMD or Intel. Intel will generally be faster than AMD, but that is due to Intel having lower timers, not being of better quality. Of course, you wouldn't be asking for advice on a better CPU if you haven't tried your current CPU, right? If you want a better processor, consider dropping around $300-400 for a quad core so you can use the computer for more than just emulators, unless that is all you want. Last thing, confirm what games you plan on recording and test run them on your current system before seeing if you need a new CPU.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymooshu View Post
    there both dual cores the i5 just has a fast clock speed
    Actually, most Sandy Bridge i5s and some Nehalem i5s have 4 cores.

Source

IMO get corei5-2500k. It's what I have, it's a quad core CPU that's perfect for current games and not too expensive either. Also should the need arise, you can overclock it to higher speeds.
    Last edited by gezegond; 14th-January-2012 at 23:44.

Thanks
    EP Points

Intel doesn't equal gold. A dual core 2.5ghz processor will still be slow, regardless if it is AMD or Intel. Intel will generally be faster than AMD, but that is due to Intel having lower timers, not being of better quality. Of course, you wouldn't be asking for advice on a better CPU if you haven't tried your current CPU, right? If you want a better processor, consider dropping around $300-400 for a quad core so you can use the computer for more than just emulators, unless that is all you want. Last thing, confirm what games you plan on recording and test run them on your current system before seeing if you need a new CPU.
    It all depends on what CPU you get like if your looking at the Clock speed alone (witch isn't the most important part put is 1 of them) the highest AMD CPU is a 6 Core at 3.4 -3.7 with turbo (for about 300$ ) and the fasted Intel CPU is a i7 6 core at like 3.23 for about 1200$ (or something like that) its about 4 times the price to get the Intel 1 and AMD runs Cooler and Last WAY long

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    Actually, most Sandy Bridge i5s and some Nehalem i5s have 4 cores.

Source

IMO get corei5-2500k. It's what I have, it's a quad core CPU that's perfect for current games and not too expensive either. Also should the need arise, you can overclock it to higher speeds.
    i know that but the 1 he sent the link to is a Dual i know there's multiple "versions" of Ii3 , i5 and i7 just like there's multiple "versions" of AMD Phenom (which is what i got and it about 3 years old and i have Never had a problem with any game)
    Last edited by Crazymooshu; 15th-January-2012 at 06:02.

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymooshu View Post
    i know that but the 1 he sent the link to is a Dual i know there's multiple "versions" of Ii3 , i5 and i7 just like there's multiple "versions" of AMD Phenom (which is what i got and it about 3 years old and i have Never had a problem with any game)
    The OP is trying to play PS2 games with fraps. Your example of your own processor is a very poor example since the emulator is almost entirely CPU based, can only utilize two cores, and pretty much requires a dual core of 3 ghz to run well for the majority of games. Anyways, it seems the OP isn't responding anytime soon and their response is needed before being able to make an educated suggestion for them.

Thanks
    EP Points

The OP is trying to play PS2 games with fraps. Your example of your own processor is a very poor example since the emulator is almost entirely CPU based, can only utilize two cores, and pretty much requires a dual core of 3 ghz to run well for the majority of games. Anyways, it seems the OP isn't responding anytime soon and their response is needed before being able to make an educated suggestion for them.
    actually the emulator can now utilise more than 2 cores with the latest revisions it can emulate 3+ cores just thought i would throw that out there
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennieboi20 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bennieboi20 View Post
    actually the emulator can now utilise more than 2 cores with the latest revisions it can emulate 3+ cores just thought i would throw that out there
    Hey I didn't know that, is this the official release or unofficial/beta/alpha release? If so, can you give me a link to it? Mine utilizes 2 cores afaik.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bennieboi20 View Post
    That's misleading since I've read about that on their site and it's 3 cores under a special hack that doesn't work with every game. The reason why it's that way is due to certain games not needing fast time responses for data. Kind of like how multiple cores are used today. Certain threads aren't required at all times and are isolated to specific cores, but the ones that are constantly needed stay on the same core, regardless if they can be separated.

Thanks
    EP Points

That's misleading since I've read about that on their site and it's 3 cores under a special hack that doesn't work with every game. The reason why it's that way is due to certain games not needing fast time responses for data. Kind of like how multiple cores are used today. Certain threads aren't required at all times and are isolated to specific cores, but the ones that are constantly needed stay on the same core, regardless if they can be separated.
    Well I did some searching and it says on he official site that it's a speed hack that's compatible with "most" games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bositman
    -For those of you who haven't heard, the latest SVN builds of PCSX2 have a new speed hack thanks to cottonvibes, named MTVU (multi threaded VU) which enables PCSX2 to use 3 threads now! (4 if you count the minor GUI thread). The speed hack has very high compatibility and provides a big speed boost in most games, especially for triple and quad core CPUs (but even on dual cores).
    Source: News and updates ( Posted by Bositman 12:07 on 21 10 11 )

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gezegond For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would still check to see which games you would want to play with that hack since a third core would allow for a much slower clock rate if it worked with the game you wanted. The only problem I'm seeing right now is my CPU can handle two threads per core. Will that cause a problem in having the program determine to go to an unused core or to a second thread on a core already being used? I know processors have a certain limit of data they can read/write per thread, so it makes a sizable difference if the former was used over the latter.

Thanks
    EP Points

my CPU can handle two threads per core. Will that cause a problem in having the program determine to go to an unused core or to a second thread on a core already being used?
    afaik even though the programs need to be able to utilize more cores, it's the OS that decides which core/thread they use. The OS manages the hardware, so the emulator can't just "decide to go on a core already being used". I'm not 100% sure though.

Source
    Last edited by gezegond; 16th-January-2012 at 00:16.