Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game character(s) you most identify with, and the industry’s efforts to create them

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Game character(s) you most identify with, and the industry’s efforts to create them

It seems fairly obvious that a key feature of any great story driven game is its cast of characters. Writers and developers are constantly trying to create protagonists that their target audience can identify with, and the greatest villains are those that cause a genuine feeling of hatred in the heart of the player. Though many of the stories we see in the games we play occur in fictional settings, the struggles, hopes, and dreams of their characters are often familiar to us. This familiarity allows us to feel sympathy, and a sympathetic character is a wonderful tool for getting the player to feel involved in a game’s story. If you absolutely hate the PC of a story driven game, you’re not going to be too enthusiastic about advancing the story. Most likely, the game experience will be ruined for you –perhaps you won’t even finish the game. On the other hand, if a character’s personality traits and reactions cause you to think something like, “I know how you must feel,” then you’ll be able to develop an emotional involvement in the story that will keep you interested in reaching the game’s conclusion.

With all this in mind, it should also be obvious that if a game’s developers are doing a good job of involving their audiences, and thereby keeping gamers interested in their product, they are probably going to sell more games. And for really great stories or characters, there is the opportunity to create sequels and/or spinoffs that may also sell well. Sometimes we hear of changes that were made during the development of a particular game to make the PC more sympathetic (e.g. changing the ages of the protagonists of Final Fantasy XII and Nier). Sometimes a character is really written well, other times we might feel as though they’re a little over- or underwhelming. Seldom is a game 100% spot on, but it is inevitable that some characters (and thus the games they were a part of) will stick with us more than others.

Personally, I identify most with the silent types, especially when the PC communicates with the world using text based dialogue options a la Baldur’s Gate or Dragon Age Origins. When a character lacks a voice of their own, it’s easier to project your own personality traits onto them. Rather than hearing an actor’s portrayal of their dialogue, you’re able to choose an option that feels the most appropriate, and feel as though you’re really interacting with the game’s other characters. I may have no idea what it’s like to be hunting an archdemon to save the world, but if I can identify with my PC, then that character’s struggle is also my own. Her sadness in reaction to her companion’s death, her triumph over impossible odds, her involvement in the story is my own.

So which characters have you been able to most identify with in the past? What did you feel you had in common with them, or what was it about them that drew you into the story? What instances are you aware of in which a developer has purposefully altered their character(s) to attract a wider target audience, and how did you feel about these instances? Do you even feel that being able to identify with a character is important? What other general thoughts on the matter do you have?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The silent protagonist always seemed to fit me well also.
    Someone who avoids confrontation, but when something needs to be done they get it done.
    Strange how a game where the PC doesn't speak can still have 30 - 45 min cutscenes though.

Compared to your four paragraphs my response feels a bit lacking.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't need the PC to be silent to be able to identify with him, but it's nice that you brought up the DA:O example, otherwise I might've forgotten to mention it. Which would've been a shame, since it's a fairly good example for myself as well. I remember starting a female rogue character with the intention of playing as a badass/cynical neutral sort of person who doesn't really give a damn about others but gets the job done regardless. After spending a considerable amount of time with the game and its characters, I grew to like some of them *coughAllistairandZevrancough* and hell, even disliked others. Yes, Morrigan, I'm looking at you, you stupid cow. So anyway, as my enjoyment of the game grew, so did my character's "personality", and the rogue who was dropping witty/cynical remarks in the tutorial ended up being the first person to step forward to selflessly sacrifice herself against the Archdemon. Character development, yo. Also, it might sound silly but I find it easy to relate to characters who lose a loved one during the course of the story since it's happened to me as well. As for voiced characters, I can identify with them as well, as long as I find something in their personality that fascinates me, or something that I can respect/admire, no matter how simple or utterly cliché it might be. Tales of Graces' MC, Asbel, comes to mind, who refuses to give up on his best friend even after he kinda-sorta becomes the villain. Cheesy, I know, but I ate it right the fuck up.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hi again.

I feel I must first say that I am quite surprised because, when I first saw this thread, and added it to my
    personal "to reply" list, I thought there was going to be a "train of posts" ahead of me... but there isn't.
    Which is odd, I must add, because this one is very interesting too.
    (I still like the 'gaming experiences with a lasting effect on you' thread a little more though. )

I guess, in the end, too bad for who did not post.
    (I just got the "bronze medal". )

Alright, let us start. ^^
    (oh, and... this one is really going to make me talk too... )

Quote Originally Posted by Milady View Post
    (...) if a character’s personality traits and reactions cause you to think something like, “I know how you must feel,” then you’ll be able to develop an emotional involvement in the story that will keep you interested in reaching the game’s conclusion.
    Well, I am indeed a Retro fan so, most of the "stories" tend to be mute. But that helps to the feeling
    of "identification" because, if you ask me, most of the times your imagination tends to fill in the gaps,
    but since it is "your" imagination, the story will be built according to the likes of yourself.
    That happened to me a long ago, with my very first (second, actually) game, Sonic, for the Mega Drive.
    (But I will unroll more about it after I quote some of your questions. ^^)

So which characters have you been able to most identify with in the past?
    Hm, "identify"... I remember two, at least:

- Pratty, from the first summon night, GBA
    - The heroine from Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen... (GBA too? *shock*)

There is Sonic too, the one from the 90's, but that is not really a feeling of "identifying with".
    I just grew up playing the game and learned to like his simplicity and sense of justice. ^^

What did you feel you had in common with them, or what was it about them that drew you into the story?
    Well, most of "Pratty's" appeal goes to her bravery, no doubt.
    And despite her courage, and strength, she was very innocent deep down.
    (Maybe that is the part I identify with the most, but I wish I was as brave as her... ^^')

And I appreciated the friendship she had with 'Sugar'. They got along well, and the way she dealt with the
    "summon's" affairs, not wanting to hurt her feelings, made me think about some experiences I had in the past...
    (There were some plot twists in the story, but it got a little repetitive, which kinda killed the mood. )

But I am 'pratty' proud to say I just knew that Razzy was a girl right from the start.
    (I think it is because of her expressions and girlish traits...)

Anyway, about the heroine of Pokemon LeafGreen, I really do not know why!
    Well, I think that, physically, I kinda resemble her... at least a lot more than all the "heroes"
    from the other Pokemon versions. And the Diamond/Pearl ones, sorry to say this, but their faces
    (in the "boy or girl" selection menu, at least) really resemble the ones of a chimpanze...

In the end, I think that maybe the fact of having just text to... oh, wait a minute...

*reads Milady's quote outloud*

Personally, I identify most with the silent types, especially when the PC communicates with the world using text based dialogue options a la Baldur’s Gate or Dragon Age Origins. When a character lacks a voice of their own, it’s easier to project your own personality traits onto them.
    Yes, this is exactly what I mean!

It goes hand-to-hand to what I was saying, I think, that your imagination fills in the rest,
    according to your tastes, and that results in a bigger feeling of "identifying yourself with".

I believe that most of the Retro-games' charm comes from that.
    "it’s easier to project your own personality traits onto them."

Although, I would have loved if that first summon night had better graphics.
    (Like some games for the PS2, anime styled too, but with better resolution.)

And, about silent types... they are simply awesome!

*high-five?*

What instances are you aware of in which a developer has purposefully altered their character(s) to attract a wider target audience, (...)
    Err... *stares at "modern Sonic" sitting in the chair next to me*

(...) and how did you feel about these instances?
    Disappointed...

Seriously, they just gone crazy since Sonic Adventure...

The new Sonic is like: "WHOA!" and "cooool" and... "skatebooaaaards!"
    I know the reason for that, of course. At least it seems evident to me that they
    changed Sonic to impress (or to sync with) the youngsters of the newer generations.
    But still... meh.

Now, when I first saw a "new generation Sonic" video, that was quite the shock to me.
    Seriously! Especially because I always imagined Sonic's personality like, you know, that standard
    personality of that clichéd friend (that most of us have) that is always doing everything to help
    you out but does not want to fall in love with you for the sake of the friendship.
    (...not to compromise the friendship, that is. But nevermind that. )

Oh, right, and why the change in the color of the eyes?
    As far as "looks" go, the eyes are, to me, the main factor for the "strangeness".
    (In fact, I have a picture of "modern Sonic" that I took to photoshop, recolored the eyes
    to black and just changed the color hue a little, and it feels like the classic one! ^^)

Proceeding...

Do you even feel that being able to identify with a character is important?
    Yes, but not always. Sometimes there is simply nothing to identify with.
    For example, I like Kirby (at least most of the games) and there is nothing
    I can identify with in him, but he is adorable. That makes me want to play
    a little more even if his goal is just getting that strawberry cake! ^^

Although, I agree that being able to identify with the character is important.
    For me, the character must have the same values as I, including a sense of justice, moral values,
    respect, whatever comes to mind when thinking of "values". That is a "must" to create a conncection.

Basically, I identify with the characters that have to fight to protect/save innocent beings,
    or when the PC itself is a cute creature or a character in trouble and you have to help her/him out.
    (that only "clicks" on me if they are facing serious problems and when the story is well conceived.)

What other general thoughts on the matter do you have?
    Well, I am having a thought right now, which is:
    - How come I cannot stop writing this stuff?

(Forever "gamer-girl", I guess... )

Honestly, I cannot think of anything else on the subject right now,
    which only means that you did a nice job covering so many aspects.

Maybe I will add only one thing: I do not like the tendency of most of the games nowadays
    to be more and more realistic. I think that totally destroys the part where the player,
    through the imagination (yes, I like to say imagination a lot ^^) personalizes the things
    that are not so evident, but start to make sense to us, in different ways for each individual.

I am done here. ^^
    (Better to end this abruptly before more things jump out from my memories... )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

If I haven't replied to this thread is cos, after reading what Milady posted, I realized I was doing something wrong. Maybe I'm just too realistic but I can't really think of any game where I identified myself with the main or any other character not now and not then when I was younger. I mean, I can feel sympathy for some for them (it's hard to not do it when you meet characters like Ethan Mars from Heavy Rain, a good example that came to mind) but never to the point to think it's me the one living the adventures or the stories their creators are presenting me.
    Help?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    If I haven't replied to this thread is cos, after reading what Milady posted, I realized I was doing something wrong. Maybe I'm just too realistic but I can't really think of any game where I identified myself with the main or any other character not now and not then when I was younger. I mean, I can feel sympathy for some for them (it's hard to not do it when you meet characters like Ethan Mars from Heavy Rain, a good example that came to mind) but never to the point to think it's me the one living the adventures or the stories their creators are presenting me.
    Help?
    same. I like the silent protagonists because I don't have to identify with them. I usually play the game for the gameplay, so when I'm jumping around, or murdering someone in cold blood, or conquering the world with my countless armies, I don't care why I do it. I just do it to have some fun. On the other hand, I enjoy a good story in the game if it's unpredictable. It doesn't matter whether I identify with the game's protagonist or not. I want to continue playing the game to find out what happens. In fact, I enjoy playing as someone I don't identify with, it makes me forget about myself and immerse in the game.
    What instances are you aware of in which a developer has purposefully altered their character(s) to attract a wider target audience, and how did you feel about these instances?
    Well, in Assassin's Creed series they changed the main protagonist who was a cold blooded killer into some Mr. nice guy who kills "bad" people to "save the world" or something stupid like that. It makes me not want to play the series at all although I was really interested in the first game when it was released.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm going to say Edgar from Final Fantasy VI. He's a king, but he's also a strategist and an inventor. I suppose I would like to share more of his good traits. Sometimes I charge into life with a broadsword when I should have hung back with an auto-crossbow.

Thanks

you know im more like doomguy. because me and him dont say anything but me i dont talk a lot but doomguy doesnt talk at all. i guess with me sence i dont talk a lot im i can always identify myself with doomguy

Thanks
    EP Points

In every game I play where the main character is silent and you have to pick choices yourself to go through, I always get the good choices, because, you know, you to be famous and everyone likes you and such, and sometimes get to shine upon others. But in the end, it just seems so boring that I resolved most things only through conversation, helped the weaklings who most of the times are hateable, and defeated the bad one, like it was "supposed" to be.

By analising this paragraph, I get to see that I may be a good person (at least on the outside), I get to help people when possible, and want people to love me in return. But at the same, I get to hate as well, because maybe I didn't get everything I wanted, so I wanted to go back and do things different. In game I could simply replay it and be the bad guy, but the real life is different.

Enough of "me" time, but I kind like to play games like that. Fable was one of my favourites, and I wanted to play the others as well (II and III), but I didn't get the chance.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Help?
    What? We need to find you a couple of muppet games for the PS3?

No, to be honest, I've been wanting to jump in with a response of my own, but I have a similar problem. Aside from the silent types, who find themselves hopelessly in love with NPC party members (), there isn't a specific character that I've found myself perfectly identifying with. Which is probably a good thing, I don't think I'd make for a very interesting game character.

It's quite possible I came at the idea from the wrong angle. I also might have used too many complete sentences in quick succession.

Thanks

I've always liked Chrono from ChronoTrigger, the strong, silent type. He doesn't say much, he gets the job done. That's been my personality for as long as I can remember.

Thanks

i usually relate to characters that are introverted ,avoid relationships because of fear of losing those relationships or isolate themselves from others, like Squall from FFVIII i spent most of my childhood avoiding contact with others and detaching myself from the group so I really identify with Squall.

Let your cosmo burn bright!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tsukasa01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa01 View Post
    ...Squall from FFVIII...
    Agreed. I also can't think of many characters like Squall that were nearly as well written (usually they're just generically emo and boring).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to overture2112 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mostly those resolute hero types, the guys who never give up and rally everyone else. I think Sonic is actually the best example of this, mainly that he doesn't try to inspire others at all, he simply does. It's endearing character trait when things get too dark or gray. I also like when that type of character can be turned into an accidental villain.

As for actual characters and not types, probably Youske from Persona 4 and Travis from No More Heroes. Youske seems like the best of me, somewhat immature but still intelligent and caring about others, if to a fault, but a bit awkward and sometimes goes too harsh. Travis would be the worst version of myself, sexually depraved, prone to outbursts and closed off from normal society. He's basically a serial killer who kills people that are worse than him.

Quote Originally Posted by overture2112 View Post
    Agreed. I also can't think of many characters like Squall that were nearly as well written (usually they're just generically emo and boring).
    *PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT*

Squall is a pathetic emo prick who's scared of his own feelings to a disgusting degree. Shit, not even I was that pathetic as a teenager.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I can really relate to King Hippo from Super Punch Out. It's kind of embarrassing actually.
    I have this horrible wound on my belly from the war and well, my pants fall down a lot....

No but in all seriousness, this is such an in-depth, great thread idea so I hope I can reply thusly. I kind of find myself on the Cookie Monster side of the fence. I play games for a good story most of the time but I don't need to directly identify with one character in order to enjoy it. I usually find myself relating to the overall meaning/feel of a game or what a game director was going for. For instance, I feel that I'm into a lot of the same stuff Hideo Kojima is obsessed with and puts into his games by the boatload so I'm drawn to his universes and always come back for more. So yeah I know it sounds weird but I relate to a game itself rather than one central character. Another example is a Tim Schafer game like Psychonauts. The second i jumped into that game I felt like it was the type of game I would make if I could and had always wanted to play. I'd say this is because I'm an artist and dig overall aesthetics more than just one sympatehtic character but that would sound pretentious so I won't. Whoops I just did huh? Anyway, it's becoming as cliche as all getout but like others have said, the silent type is the best way to go if you want everyone to be able to put themselves into the protagonist's shoes. So I'm goin' with the silent type!