Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite videogame controller(s)!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I wonder how many did read the first post, where I said "the reason why I prefer consoles over PC are the controllers. Which are your favorite ones?" and then many went on to say "Mouse and Keyboard".....

Anyway, I see the opinions are pretty mixed. I'm surprised to see there are people who like the N64 pad. (In a good sense, myself I'm ok with it).
    Also, other than Gypsy and me, nobody liked the Saturn Pad?
    No, wait, scratch that. Nobody liked the Model 2 Saturn controller? The last in the "pure 2D" department?
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks

Logitech G25

Thanks
    EP Points

N64's controller was very good, anatomic and buttons were laid out in a way that you always had easy access to whatever ou wanted. It could be a bit hard to use the + button and the stick at the same time, but few (if any?) games required that. I think most people who dislike it feel like so because it is indeed clumbersome for the first few hours. Fortunately I had Peach's courtyard to train in for as long as I wanted (or as long as I had Mario 64 plugged in). Messing with Mario's face in the intro for HOURS also helped.

Shame I busted my analog sticks on both controllers with Mario Party's buttan mashan. I plugged it in again some time ago and games were unplayable because of that. Argh.

Thanks

Playstation 1-3 controllers.

I've played a few consoles, but the Playstation had the easiest layout for me. Wasn't "uncomfy" either so it was fine.

But! I'm gonna say Mouse and Keyboard too haha. I'm a PC gamer.
    I think anything Third Person or Steering would make me reach out for a controller.

Username: SoySauce (or similar) Name: Kenshii

Thanks

My favorite controller ever was the Hori Horipad EX2. It was a 360 controller that doubled the RB and LB buttons on the face for fighting games and whatnot. That, combined with a great Dpad and some nice clicky buttons made for a really great controller.

As for first party shit yeah, the PSX/PS2/PS3 line. Real basic. No fucking around. Good stuff.
    CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL I'M SO WAAAAACCKYYYYYYY

Thanks

i like my ps2 usb controller quite a lot, ive also got a belkin nostroma speed pad n52 which is great for shooting games

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Playstation 2 and 3 are in my opinion the most well designed overall but I still have a soft spot for the weirdness of the Dreamcast controller. So I'm gonna say Dreamcast is my fave.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    I fucking hate using a keyboard for platformers.
    I have played hours upon hours of platformers on keyboard during DOS days. But I agree that it's easier to do it with a controller, and that's when I use my PS2 controller. I also use controllers for Racing games, because analog input works better. Also use it for the few JRPG games on PC.

But in the end, games that are designed to work with mouse and keyboard don't feel right on a controller, and games that are designed with controller input in mind feel weird when using Mouse and Keyboard. In my experience, Mouse and Keyboard is (in general) a much more accessible, customizable, and flexible control system than your average controller.

As an example, I have played indie platformer games that use both mouse and keyboard in a way that it works so well you wouldn't have it any other ways. In operations flashpoint (the first one), Mouse is used to steer your vehicle, and you can use combination of keys on your keyboard to higher or lower your acceleration/brakes. It works superbly well. I don't know why others don't use this scheme for vehicle driving on PC. And menu extensive games are easier to navigate with mouse.

When there's something wrong with Mouse+Keyboard configuration, it's usually because the developers were too lazy to implement a better control system for their game. It usually has to do with not using the mouse at all and just mapping controller keys to keyboard. Of course it wouldn't feel right.

Thanks
    EP Points

dunno if it applies but for me pc keyboard(+mouse in some cases), after you get used to it it works well for the majority of games, otherwise either ps2 or xbox controllers

Thanks

Playsatation 1-3 controllers.
    But for FPS's I'd rather have a mouse and a keyboard

Thanks
    EP Points

Well the very first controller of PlayStation 1.. It was the best.. now days they put too much buttons..

If you ask me, there's no happiness to be found in death... no peace either. I'm leaving here alive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Snake View Post
    Well the very first controller of PlayStation 1.. It was the best.. now days they put too much buttons..
    But the first version of the PS1 controller doesn't have analog sticks.
    Isn't having them kind of... better?

Thanks

Depends on what I'll be playing. For fighting games, I have my trusty Qanba Q4RAF. For emulators, I have a PS2 controller with a USB converter that's never done me wrong except get lost, however I would love to try the new Hori 360 pad.

The one controller I never truly appreciated until it was too late was the Dreamcast controller. Dreamcast will always have a spot in my memories.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

NES and PSX/PS2/PS3 (they're all the same, really).

That is all.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    NES and PSX/PS2/PS3 (they're all the same, really).

That is all.
    You cant tell me those points on the NES controller poking in your palms didnt hurt like hell after a little while of play?

The original PSX controller was my fav, wish i could get one new or mint,