Thread: The return of Neo Geo Pocket

Thanks
    EP Points

Default The return of Neo Geo Pocket

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/news.php?newsid=3503

Famicom Plaza has a look at at the new device, which carries official licensing from SNK Playmore. The device, currently going by the placeholder name of "Neo Geo Portable Device," has 4.3 inch screen, two gigabytes of internal storage, and ships with 20 Neo Geo classics built in.

thought some of you Retro fans might like this news.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knightshade For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That's pretty beast.
    I'd like to see this thing be successful but in todays market, its kinda hard pressed and late to the show

Thanks
    EP Points

In Brazil, I never really heard about this Neo Geo systems, until I started to use the internet, 7 years ago. But this new thing looks pretty nice, besides its iPhone-like look.

Thanks

Huh. I've never played a Neo Geo... Thanks for the link, I'll give it a read.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I had a Neo Geo Pocket Color when I was in middle school. I played the hell outta Metal Slug games, SNK card battling, and Sonic on that thing... Do you think a new NGP could compete with Sony and Nintendo, though? Maybe in Japan. But Neo Geo is not a household name in the US as far as I know.
    Last edited by SpuzzHardwick; 5th-February-2012 at 02:53.

Thanks
    EP Points

The thing does look cool. Though as SpuzzHardwick said, it probably won't fare well in the U.S. Though I bet it will become a collector's item sometime down the road. If I had the extra money, I'd probably pick it up. Then again I'd rather have something portable that would play all arcade games. I've heard of the Dingdongo or whatever it was called, but I also heard it was crap.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SpuzzHardwick View Post
    I had a Neo Geo Pocket Color when I was in middle school. I played the hell outta Metal Slug games, SNK card battling, and Sonic on that thing... Do you think a new NGP could compete with Sony and Nintendo, though? Maybe in Japan. But Neo Geo is not a household name in the US as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftyGuitar View Post
    The thing does look cool. Though as SpuzzHardwick said, it probably won't fare well in the U.S. Though I bet it will become a collector's item sometime down the road. If I had the extra money, I'd probably pick it up. Then again I'd rather have something portable that would play all arcade games. I've heard of the Dingdongo or whatever it was called, but I also heard it was crap.
    I don't know about that guys from what I've seen on here and the emu-paradise Facebook group the Neo Geo has a lot of fans in the U.S. as well as elsewhere.
    I believe it has a market in the U.S. after all go to the fighters thread and ask which retro system had the best fighters I bet most will tell you that it was the Neo Geo.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
    go to the fighters thread and ask which retro system had the best fighters I bet most will tell you that it was the Neo Geo.
    I dunno if you know this but there's a difference between the Neo Geo Pocket and the home system/arcade. If anyone says that in regards to fighters, they're probably referring to the home system/arcade cabinet. I could be wrong but that's just my guess because I don't remember the NGP's fighters being that amazing. Also, I can guarantee you the opinions of this fine forum or its FB page do not account for the majority of US gamers who I can ASSURE you don't know what the fuck a Neo Geo is.

Thanks
    EP Points

That's actually pretty sexy. Think they could have picked a better selection for the built-in games, though. Some really noticeable absences there.

I'm curious, though... They mention a 2GB storage capacity. I wonder if it plays Neo Geo ROMs out of the box?

Thanks

Default Did anyone notice the shoulder buttons?

When you look at L1 and L2 it seems fine, but R1 and R2 are in different places. It makes me think this could be a false product. I'm thinking someone with too much time on his hands photoshopped it and the website latched on to the idea, but I have heard rumors about the device so it could be a real pic with a mess up on the companys part I spose