Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: reaper nova answers Final Fantasy FAQs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Well I have played Final Fantasy VII in Japanese. The original version, as opposed to the International one which is completely identical to the Western release. And a handful of surprisingly small changes and general script differences / translation goofs aside, it's basically the same game. I should know; I've only played the damn thing in English a good ten or eleven times. Also, I was retranslating the game for practice once upon a time, and carefully went through almost every script file of the Japanese version. If there's dialogue in there pertaining to Sephiroth's revival, it's really well hidden.

Plus there's... you know... the fact that no Japanese websites for the game make mention of this supposed secret. Like ever. You'd think with how long it's been since the game was released, somebody would've stumbled on it. Oh wait, it's a silly rumour with no basis in reality. My bad.
    I Loled.. that musta took you ages

also this thread has been amusing to view

Thanks
    EP Points

Best thread ever, keep up the good work.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    I Loled.. that musta took you ages

also this thread has been amusing to view
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Best thread ever, keep up the good work.
    You two are cruel. Fun though. Carry on.

Thanks
    EP Points

what other differences are there between jap and u

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ivo Robotnik View Post
    EDIT: Also, late reply to Mistral

I'm going to be annoying here. Zanmato. I'll grant that it's not available 100% of the time, but it is an instant-death attack that cannot be resisted by anything when the attack is available. I'd say there are two unavoidable instant death attacks in these games.
    Zanmato works on Jecht?
    Ah, I see. Heh, that's cute.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Zanmato works on Jecht?
    Ah, I see. Heh, that's cute.
    Lemme think... Yep, you have your Aeons for that fight, so Zanmato should work. Of course, it only works for the current phase, as it's a multi-phase encounter, but I believe Selphie's The End functions in much the same way against Ultimecia.

Whoo anti-spoiler tags.

Thanks

haha this great this thread became pretty popular in the past few days lol ohh and elin you do realize that there were to different releases for the Japanese version right? Cause i know for a fact the first release doesn't have emerald or ruby in it cause i own 2 copies one sealed and the other well not so much. I understand you think it's not possible but what explains that script you found? Did you look into the fact of the different versions just like the us has? it's almost like soul reaver... the dc version was completely unbeatable because of a "important" boss not being in the version but was in the ps version lol.
    " Now is the time where you piss your self and pray to god.... but hey there is still enough time to kill yourself..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ivo Robotnik View Post
    Lemme think... Yep, you have your Aeons for that fight, so Zanmato should work. Of course, it only works for the current phase, as it's a multi-phase encounter, but I believe Selphie's The End functions in much the same way against Ultimecia.

Whoo anti-spoiler tags.
    Hey did you know that the Japanese version had two different release right? or is it just me lol
    " Now is the time where you piss your self and pray to god.... but hey there is still enough time to kill yourself..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darklinky View Post
    well first off you could collect all the mini soldier dolls... thinks thats about it lol besides what was mentioned in past posts lol i post more if i think of them...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by reaper nova View Post
    haha this great this thread became pretty popular in the past few days lol ohh and elin you do realize that there were to different releases for the Japanese version right? Cause i know for a fact the first release doesn't have emerald or ruby in it cause i own 2 copies one sealed and the other well not so much. I understand you think it's not possible but what explains that script you found? Did you look into the fact of the different versions just like the us has? it's almost like soul reaver... the dc version was completely unbeatable because of a "important" boss not being in the version but was in the ps version lol.
    Like I said, I played the original. And I wasn't claiming that Ruby and Emerald are in the original game. They're not. I was just saying that you can't revive Sephiroth in the Japanese version. Which you can't.

Also, the script wasn't found anywhere, but was dumped from the game itself. So if there isn't any text in there pertaining to Sephiroth as a playable character, then there isn't any in the game full stop.

Oh, and... um... I actually just finished Soul Reaver on the Dreamcast the other day. :'D Don't quite know what you're talking about there.

Quote Originally Posted by Darklinky View Post
    The International version is just a release of the Western game with the Japanese script and a bonus disc, so it's completely identical. The original, though, has quite a few small differences, and a couple of bigger ones. Putting the aforementioned Weapons aside, here are some off the top of my head:

- The Underwater materia, though included in the game's code, isn't obtainable in the original game for the obvious reason that it'd be completely useless. With Emerald Weapon being added in, they allowed you to obtain it via morphing a Ghost Ship and exchanging the Guidebook item you get.

- The Guidebook, Desert Rose and Earth Harp aren't obtainable for obvious reasons.

- You don't actually fight Diamond Weapon in the original game. It's purely a storyline sequence.

- Yuffie's Rising Sun weapon, a drop from Diamond Weapon, isn't obtainable in the original game. Pretty sure it's in the code like the Underwater materia, though.

- Probably the biggest change from a story perspective is two key scenes that clarify plot points: the scene with Zack and Cloud in the truck that you can access from the Nibel Mansion basement, and the flashback where Tifa finds Cloud in Midgar and recruits him into AVALANCHE. Neither are present in the original, and leave two fairly noticeable gaps in the story.

- The FMV where the weapons awaken in the crater is slightly altered in the English version to show Ruby and Emerald Weapon emerging too.

- Perhaps just my imagination, but I think the encounter rate is slightly higher in FFVII vanilla compared to the US release and the international one.

- The animation for Sephiroth's Supernova is different. It's no longer than the animation for Ifrit or Shiva, as opposed to the monster it is the the English version. In the International version, its damage is also a percentage of your character's total HP rather than a set value, meaning it can put a dent in you even at higher levels. I remember reading that his rather crappy Pale Horse attack does more damage in the original Japanese one too, but I don't remember myself.

- The game doesn't go to the scrolling stars after the ending credits and the movie with Red XIII, if I remember rightly. It just ends. Don't know why they changed it, but I like that they did~

- There are a couple of user friendly things added in the Western one. Barret tells you how to run just after you first meet him (though his line wound up so mangled that it wasn't much use anyway :'D), pressing select on maps brings up their exits / ladders, and there are useful options for tinkering with the materia of characters not currently in your party. Probably some more that I forget.

- In order to hurt Magic Pots in the English version, you have to give them Elixirs. In the original Japanese one, you can just beat up on them, making them an invaluable source of EXP and AP (though if you abuse the item clone glitch to get 99 Elixirs, you can use them anyway~)

Those are most of the changes. There's also a host of bugfixes, and probably a few other smaller things I forget.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Chosenne777 View Post
    who is the more bad-A villian, Sephiroth or Kefka? I choose sephiroth (of course as I am a hardcore FF7 fan lol)

Kefka is more disturbing; a real psychopath. Sephiroth is a badass, no doubt, but he's more of a likable guy even when he's doing his becoming a god thing.

Even Kefka's digitized awful sounding 16-bit laugh makes him seem creepier and less approachable, which to me seems to make him a more formidable villain overall.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks elin thats quite interesting.

I may go on a hunt to find out the different versions of games and find the regional differances.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by reaper nova View Post
    Hey did you know that the Japanese version had two different release right? or is it just me lol
    Yes, I did know. I believe I mentioned it earlier. The original version, which had less content (not having Ruby and Emerald Weapon, for example), which is explained in further detail by Elin, and the much later released 'international' version, which was basically the western version but retranslated into Japanese, also explained in further detail by Elin. A cookie shall be granted to Elin for being awesome. A few facts came up in that post that I wasn't aware of either, so whoo for knowing even more Final Fantasy VII trivia.

Elin? Have a cookie.
    Last edited by Dr. Ivo Robotnik; 2nd-January-2012 at 16:34.