Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo is Finally going to start patching on the wii

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation Nintendo is Finally going to start patching on the wii

For one game...

LoZ: Skyward Sword has a game breaking glitch:
    Spoiler warning:

Skyloftian heroes, beware. If you're knee deep in the middle of playing Link's latest adventure, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, you should take note of a game-breaking glitch that can occur during the Song of the Hero quest. No, it won't make your Crimson Loftwing fly backwards a la Skyrim, but it can halt your progress in the game and force you to start over. Not cool.

As first reported by the folks at Zelda Informer, Nintendo has responded to this complaint by isolating exactly what causes it to happen. Apparently the bug is triggered if you complete the Lanayru Desert portion of this quest first, then speak with Golo the Goron in Lanayru Mine, then complete the quest and receive that portion of the song, then go back to the mine and speak with Golo once more.

Doing all of these things locks the other two portions of the quest, preventing you from progressing in the game. Unless you have an earlier save file, this means having to start the adventure over. Considering this quest occurs rather late in the game, this is a tragic bug indeed for poor players who encounter it.

We've reached out to Nintendo to see if a patch will be released to fix this problem, we'll update this story as we find out more. In the meantime, avoiding this issue is actually pretty easy. Just don't talk to your Goron buddy more than once during that part. Or, even better, go for one of the other two portions of the quest first. Either of these will avoid the bug, but we certainly suggest just saving the Lanayru Desert mission for second or third. After all, it's hard to pass up a lonely, chatty Goron.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1214090p1.html

So what does Nintendo do? Make a Patch channel that will fix this issue.

At this point, why bother? The wii is dead and has been dead this whole year. Why make a patch channel just for 1 game. I hope Nintendo learned their lesson (but I doubt it) That they should stop living in the 90's and embrace DLC, online, & Patching, ect.

Thanks
    EP Points

Patching the game is cheaper than recalling it.
    If it wasn't a 1st party game, Nintendo wouldn't have bothered.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lizard81288 View Post
    embrace DLC, online, & Patching, ect.
    Embrace leaving out content of a complete game and make you pay more and just letting more broken games out because "We can just patch it later, so screw QA." I'll stick with the 90's, thanks.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aeolus Aeneas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lizard81288 View Post
    For one game...

LoZ: Skyward Sword has a game breaking glitch:
    Spoiler warning:

So what does Nintendo do? Make a Patch channel that will fix this issue.

At this point, why bother? The wii is dead and has been dead this whole year. Why make a patch channel just for 1 game. I hope Nintendo learned their lesson (but I doubt it) That they should stop living in the 90's and embrace DLC, online, & Patching, ect.
    Dead all year. hahahahaha
    Xenoblade
    fortune street
    zelda
    fishing resort
    And many more (yeah not as many good games as other consoles but NOT DEAD come on man)

Coming soon, pandoras tower, the last story.
    There is still plenty of life in the wii yet.

Thanks
    EP Points

But those games are next year. US still doesn't have any of the other 2 operation rainfall games either. Fortune Street looks meh. You can only play as your mii in story mode. It is more of a multiplayer game, but good luck finding someone who wants to play one game that lasts an average of 2 hours.

As for Aeolus Aeneas, I get your point. I guess I forgot how greedy devs/pubs are. I wouldn't mind patching though. Alot of wii games could have used it. Atleast Nintendo gives out free DLC in some games, but Nintendo doesn't really use it though. DLC in brawl would have been cool.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think that since the N64, Nintendo tended to always be one generation behind other companies. Examples: Sony launched the Playstation with its CD playback capabilities (games, music and even videos, with VCDs and the proper console), Nintendo wanted to stick with the cartridge format. Then, Sony launched the Playstation 2, with amazing DVD playback capabilities, but when Nintendo entered the disc era, it was mini-DVDs, with not much storage space for game data, much less for movies, so it couldn't do it. Then Sony launched the Playstation 3, with an even better media, great graphics, HDD inside, and more, but Nintendo just then moved to the DVD-like game media (the Wii optical disc, although it's almost the same as a DVD). I'm only making this comparisons related to storage and graphics, I know that Nintendo made great innovations for handheld gaming, game controllers, and maybe, 3D gaming. And I'm only comparing it to Sony, because it's an example, everybody knows what other companies did.

But I still like Nintendo, it has made great game series, and had great game companies as partners as well (until they dumped them, of course). Until today, they are keeping their name as "great", even being a little behind. So just let them grow the way they always did, maybe with carefull, so when the time is right, they get to launch their big changes to the gaming world.
    Last edited by Clayton Fischer; 20th-December-2011 at 22:58.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    Embrace leaving out content of a complete game and make you pay more and just letting more broken games out because "We can just patch it later, so screw QA." I'll stick with the 90's, thanks.
    Totally agree, everything now is shit thats rushed out and they make you for shit that should of been in the game in the first place.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    Totally agree, everything now is shit thats rushed out and they make you for shit that should of been in the game in the first place.
    Oh yeah, maybe because of that the 64DD didn't sell much, so Nintendo didn't want to make the same mistake.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think we could use some more publishers that are ass hat greedy bastards. Capcom, Activision, EA, & Square are known for their shitty $10 DLC, milking ways.

As far as I can tell, Nintendo does a decent job, although they are behind the times. Sony I would assume is pretty good too. Sega I don't think is too bad either. Valve is pretty good too, plus the own steam. WayForward is great as well, but hey tend to do digital downloads.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hooray, another useless bit of info we didn't really need to know, unsurprisely made by Lizard!

Is this REALLY enough to warrant a thread?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Hooray, another useless bit of info we didn't really need to know, unsurprisely made by Lizard!

Well, considering this is the 1st game the wii is or ever going to patch, I thought it would be news worthy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post

Personally, I don't think it's worth a thread, just another excuse to, yet again, bash another company

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookie Monster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Personally, I don't think it's worth a thread, just another excuse to, yet again, bash another company
    Par for the course. Personally, I am okay with this. I'd rather they do patch it rather than say fuck all and do nothing, at least they are addressing a problem.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you release something with a bug that could basically destroy a save game, and you have the means to store patch data, you should release a fix for the problem. it's simple, common sense for a company to support their product and give their customers the highest quality experience they can.

It's just that they should have bug tested the game harder before releasing it to the public.

In a house in a city in a province in a country... etc.
    Thanks

Oh, goodie. A game that's broken that I can't play anyways because I don't own a MotionPlus accessory or Wiimote+ controller.
    /sarcasm

But seriously. I can't even think of much to say that's serious. Whoopie, Nintendo made a game that requires a patch. It's news to me, as mentioned before I can't play Skyward Sword, so I don't really care, but it's at least interesting to know Nintendo screwed over a lot of players because they were lazy(?) in their testing.

How much are those testers being paid, again?