Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fav Retro Game + Memories

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymooshu View Post
    i dont mind RPG Games whats the Dif between jrpg and rpg really, and ill try those PS1 and PS2 Games soon Hopefully, and those the only PS1 games you can think of?

Thanks
    Jrpg = japanese role playing games. It's the kind you'll usually see on consoles. Emphasis on story. Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest, "Tales of" series, etc.

Wrpg = western role playing games. Usually on PC. Emphasis on player choices. Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Baldur's Gate, Drakensang, etc.

So if one is talking about consoles, it's safe to assume he means the former when talking about "rpgs". If he's a PC gamer, he probably means the latter.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

im hybrid bwahahahahah
    Over 400+ Gaming Vids @ Doctorwordsworth's
    Need an Avatar? Stop by Planet of Avatars!
    For Video game documentation of any kind head on over to Game Docs 'R' Us!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf View Post
    Nice thread topic! I will list a small handful of my absolute fav retro games that make me miss my childhood (no, really).

1.Chrono Trigger-Hands down the greatest thing I've ever played
    2.Shining Force 2-The battle, characters and story all make this game awesome!
    3.Dragon Warrior 1-The first RPG I ever played
    4.Landstalker-Awesome puzzles and story
    5.Final Fantasy 7-Not toooo retro but 5th generation is retro to me lol. Should I really have to explain why this game is on my list? I didnt think so. I cut school two days straight with a friend when it released lol.
    i See im not the only 1 who like Dragon Warrior 1 , i got a Couple games i ordered on the way to my house soon 2 NES and 2 N64 Games (dragon warrior 1 is one of them, along with Startropics 2 and Lego Racers and Star Wars Shadow Empire)

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:
    Processor: AMD FX PileDriver FX-8350 8 Core CPU ~4.0GHz (4.2GHz When Turbe Kicks in )
    Memory: 16GB AMD Entertainment Edition Ram Sticks (4x4096)
    Hard Drives: 180GB OCZ Vertex SSD for OS 1TB For Games 750GB For Data 500GB for Movies and Ubuntu)
    DVD Drive:1 ASUS Blu-Ray Burner and 2 DVD burners
    Video Card: Asus GeForce 660
    Motherboard: ASUS M5A97
    Power Supply: OCZ ModXstream 650 Watt
    Computer Case: Cooler Master Strom Stryker (White)

Thanks
    EP Points

Hmm, quite a few to choose from. I'm gonna go with Twisted Metal 2. So much fun hanging out with friends and playing it. We could play that game for hours on end. Man were those the days.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyGuitar View Post
    Hmm, quite a few to choose from. I'm gonna go with Twisted Metal 2. So much fun hanging out with friends and playing it. We could play that game for hours on end. Man were those the days.
    I feel like you could be a long lost friend, 'cause I'd have to say the same thing. Just playing Twisted Metal 2 at peoples houses, for hours and hours. It was probably the very first game I invested over 100 hours in.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by underchaos View Post
    I feel like you could be a long lost friend, 'cause I'd have to say the same thing. Just playing Twisted Metal 2 at peoples houses, for hours and hours. It was probably the very first game I invested over 100 hours in.
    Sadly i never played Twisted Metal

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:
    Processor: AMD FX PileDriver FX-8350 8 Core CPU ~4.0GHz (4.2GHz When Turbe Kicks in )
    Hard Drives: 180GB OCZ Vertex SSD for OS 1TB For Games 750GB For Data 500GB for Movies and Ubuntu)

Thanks
    EP Points

There are just too many. I mean, really. I have fond memories of playing pretty much any older PC game during the 90s. Some of my oldest memories include games like Gobliiins, or the Castle of Dr. Brain (which I was too stupid for, so I basically just watched my brother and father play it together). There's also Little Big Adventure, which stands out because I never finished it. I had no internet back then, obviously, so I had figure shit out by myself. Hell, my brother actually sent a letter (not an email, but an actual letter) to a local gaming magazine, asking for help with the first Discworld game. And they replied, which was all sorts of awesome.

I remember playing the shit out of the first two Tomb Raider games. I kinda stopped caring about the franchise by the time the third one came out, but I was a huge fan of the first two, especially TR2. And since I liked TR, I was also quite fond of the first Soul Reaver game. I remember getting stuck in it all the time. Again, no internet, so me and my brother had to figure stuff out on our own. Or buy a gaming magazine, which is something we did quite often, actually. I have a giant collection of the things starting from the early 90s up to the mid 00s.

I also remember sinking an insane amount of hours into Morrowind and Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. I even started writing a walkthrough for them, although it really was more like a journal in which I chronicled all the things my character and his companions experienced using first-person narration. I did something similar with Undying, IIRC. The whole journal thing, I mean. I did weird stuff back then.

Playing stuff like FF7-9, Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile for the very first time as a kid are also among my awesome childhood memories. I actually used to be quite the FF7 fanboy.

I suppose it's also fun to think back on all the games that I considered to have amazing graphics. Like, say, Gothic 2. It looked so awesome and next-gen, and therefore my PC could barely run it. I remember having some serious framerate issues in the more populated areas of game's biggest city. Look up screenshots and you'll probably laugh at all this.

Oh, and I destroyed peripherals with a vengeance. I broke a joystick while playing TFX and a keyboard while blasting through Scorched Planet. And I could go on. The memories, I HAVE SO MANY OF THEM. Fuck, now I remember why I didn't want to post in this thread. Because once I start reminiscing, I can't bloody stop.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gare
    I actually used to be quite the FF7 fanboy.
    Funny lot. They aren't really around anymore but I remember trolling so hard back in the day.

Thanks
    EP Points

For me its watching my cousins play legend of zelda for the snes those where teh days I had a nightmare about Super Metroid when I was like 5-6 tho lol now adays i still dream about rpg games from time to time and my mind will just create random games for me some times its just crazy some times.
    Love knows no bounds.

As a cryptography and computer security expert, I have never understood the current fuss about the open source software movement. In the cryptography world, we consider open source necessary for good security; we have for decades. Public security is always more secure than proprietary security. It's true for cryptographic algorithms, security protocols, and security source code. For us, open source isn't just a business model; it's smart engineering practice.
    Bruce Schneier, Crypto-Gram 1999/09/15

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Topken View Post
    For me its watching my cousins play legend of zelda for the snes those where teh days I had a nightmare about Super Metroid when I was like 5-6 tho lol now adays i still dream about rpg games from time to time and my mind will just create random games for me some times its just crazy some times.
    ah , I see im not the Only 1 Who Dreams Video Games

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymooshu View Post
    ah , I see im not the Only 1 Who Dreams Video Games
    Third here. Out of thread but funny thing. I heard so many rumors about UFOs on GTA: San Andreas that I actually dreamed about getting into an UFO with CJ and went abducting pedestrians, then I took them to a strange ritual site. Then I woke up. I didn't download any kind of mod really, but it was a funny dream. This is part of a gamer's memory too!
    Last edited by Clayton Fischer; 18th-December-2011 at 13:55.

Thanks
    EP Points

My favorite gaming childhood memories were:

Earthbound - I only recently owned a copy of this but every weekend after school I would go to the local movie rental place and rent this game for the weekend. Never was able to finish it until I started emulating the game on my pc though cuz someone would always rent it after me and overwrite my save file.

Pilotwings 64 - Kinda the same as Earthbound but my sister's boyfriend (husband now) had a copy of it and loaned it to me all the time so I could get some major enjoyment out of it!

The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening - My dad was a truck driver for about 15 years as a side job, we went to visit my brother in Colorado in December of 1998 and he bought me a copy to have something to play while I was on the road with my dad. Good Times!
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lordrand11 View Post
    My favorite gaming childhood memories were:

Earthbound - I only recently owned a copy of this but every weekend after school I would go to the local movie rental place and rent this game for the weekend. Never was able to finish it until I started emulating the game on my pc though cuz someone would always rent it after me and overwrite my save file.

Pilotwings 64 - Kinda the same as Earthbound but my sister's boyfriend (husband now) had a copy of it and loaned it to me all the time so I could get some major enjoyment out of it!

The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening - My dad was a truck driver for about 15 years as a side job, we went to visit my brother in Colorado in December of 1998 and he bought me a copy to have something to play while I was on the road with my dad. Good Times!
    I like Link's Awakening too, but i haven't finished it yet

Also i Like Earthbound its pretty cool

I Have also Been playing Secret of Mana Recently with my Best Friends (we have just got the 7th mana seed) and im enjoying it so far its a pretty decent game.

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Metroid (nes)
    Final Fantasy 2 (snes) Actually FF4 in Japan
    Final Fantasy 3 (snes) Actually FF6 in Japan
    Yoshi's Island (snes)
    Lufia 2 (snes)
    Secret of Mana (snes)
    Sonic 3 (sega)
    Sonic & Knuckles (sega)

Thanks
    EP Points

Nice list , But I think we should keep the Thread more on track (im guilty too of going off topic) I think its better to keep this more about the Fond Memories of Games we have

Thanks

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazymooshu For This Useful Post: