Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fav Retro Game + Memories

Thanks
    EP Points

Cool Fav Retro Game + Memories

Hey Guys

As we all know Games Now a Day's are getting pretty weak, like every bloody years they make a dam Call of Duty, WOPPDY DO its the same Sh*t Every YEAR

So im Gonna Start a thread Of Retro Games and Memories
    Ill Start

My 2 Faves that i can Think Of ATM

1- The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)
    im Sure about 90% of use have a SNES and Have Played this Game. Theres nothing like staying up at night playing a Zelda Game in the Dark with the Glow of you TV And You In a Chair/on your Floor Playing Your Fav SNES game while your Wrapped up in a blanket . But My Fav moment of this game is when you finally Get to the End to Face Ganon! i played this game ALOT as a kid so i was not as good as i em now that's why it took me FOREVER to get there multiple Times.
    But Nothing Beats the Feeling of Collecting all the Hearts and powering up all your Weapons/Items and then Facing with GANON!

2 - Mega Man X 1 -3 (SNES)
    I Personally Only Owned (still Do) Mega Man X 3, It Considered to be a "Rare" Game Cuz The 3 Mega Man X Games for SNES had a Special Chip in them to Enhance The Graphics (The Chip Was Called the Cx4), but I loved Chasing Down The Mavericks and Sigma and Getting to that Final Stage (witch is in 3 Fricken Very Difficult Parts when i was a Kid) But Its Kool when you find the "Super Chip" to Turn all your Enhancements into Gold, that is the True Ultimate Form Of Mega man.

Now its your Turn Guys, Post Your Fave Games or Memories (try to Keep Em Retro)

Enjoy

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:
    Processor: AMD FX PileDriver FX-8350 8 Core CPU ~4.0GHz (4.2GHz When Turbe Kicks in )
    Memory: 16GB AMD Entertainment Edition Ram Sticks (4x4096)
    Hard Drives: 180GB OCZ Vertex SSD for OS 1TB For Games 750GB For Data 500GB for Movies and Ubuntu)
    DVD Drive:1 ASUS Blu-Ray Burner and 2 DVD burners
    Video Card: Asus GeForce 660
    Motherboard: ASUS M5A97
    Power Supply: OCZ ModXstream 650 Watt
    Computer Case: Cooler Master Strom Stryker (White)

Thanks
    EP Points

Memories, huh? Nice thread idea. ^^
    I really enjoy retro games so I have a lot of "faves".
    Some of them I enjoyed more back then, when I was little, and some I enjoy more now, but I'll try to keep the list short.
    Well, "back then", when I was little... (Gosh, I'm starting to sound like my grandma talking )
    Anyway, my first contact with gaming was a Mega Drive that my dad bought me when I was 3,
    so that had a big influence in my preferences... (and in my childhood... 0_____o ).
    I first played Pac-Mania (came with the console, I guess) and Sonic the Hedgehog came next.
    I remember crying and telling my dad to help me jump the first ledge... (yeah... )
    But that didn't made me give up on Sonic. Some weeks later I had cleared it all. But my "fave"
    was another Sonic game:

1 - Sonic & Knuckles
    Funny story, when I went to the store with my dad, on the way back, I talked so much about
    the game (had a ridiculous ad) that he got distracted and we had a car crash!

(We still talk about that today.)

2 - Some of the Pokemon titles (can't choose one actually, but maybe "Red")
    I remember playing Pokemon Red through one night in 5 hours or so, attached to my second and
    LAST console, N64, after unlocking "Dodrio mode" in Pokemon Stadium 2, so the game speed was
    "thrice" as fast... and I didn't even sleep... and we had family the next morning for a lunch...

...ah, good times...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Most of my most beloved memories of childhood gaming involve the Genesis and the N64 my first two consoles in that order. I got the Genesis long after it had already come and gone and was never up to date with my friends gaming-wise in grade school. They were playing Starfox 64 and Zelda: OoT while I was just discovering the joys of Sonic, Toejam and Earl, and Street Fighter. I eventually got all caught up and adored the N64 games I had been missing. After those days I remained up to date with my consoles pretty much so the early Genesis days are my favorite memories. The soundtracks to Sonic 1, 2, and 3 are magnificent

Thanks
    EP Points

Yea Gotta Love Pokemon Games too , and unfortunately i never Owned a Sega Console, i Have(and still do) Every Nintendo Console (except the GameCube), but i Do Remember Playing Classic Games Liek Sonic at Friends house for the Genesis.
    and OFC Zelda is My Fave Game Series still to this date (and Probably Always will be) i Have Played and Beaten EVERY Single Zelda Game For the Consoles Except 2 , Majora's Mask and Zelda 2 (and yeas i have Beaten Skyward Sword) i Beat Link to the Past probably about 200 Times , i think i did it in 8 hours flat once too and OoT is a Classic Zelda Game too , played that 100's of times, OoT and Skyward Sword are tied for my 2nd Fav Zelda games of all time ( Link to the Past is 1st )

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:
    Processor: AMD FX PileDriver FX-8350 8 Core CPU ~4.0GHz (4.2GHz When Turbe Kicks in )
    Hard Drives: 180GB OCZ Vertex SSD for OS 1TB For Games 750GB For Data 500GB for Movies and Ubuntu)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymooshu View Post
    As we all know Games Now a Day's are getting pretty weak,
    Ah yes, as we all know. I mean, it's not like the industry has been the same since the Atari. It's not like there used to be no quality control and multiple consoles that were basically identical (pong consoles). It's not like there were unchecked 3rd party companies (tengen) releasing copies of games. It's not like 95%+ of old console game libraries are entirely unplayable or anything like that. Just had to ramble about that...now to get on topic...

Ftr SNES is just about to hit retro/vintage status. I say about 20 years, maybe 15 as a min. in which case it's already there. If you go off 20 years I have nothing but with 15 I've played a lot of SNES, Sega CD, Saturn and Playstation (Dreamcast not quite there yet ). Including PS1 any top list I make is going to be all PS1 so I'll include some non-sony console highlights...

Chrono Trigger
    Nights into Dreams
    Castlevania Rondo of Blood
    Super Mario World
    Super Metroid

As for my top games...

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
    What's to say...this is easily the best Castelvania game aside from Rondo of Blood which I would put right there with it which is saying a lot considering games like Aria of Sorrow are out there. Absolutely everything a Castlevania game should be.

Valkyrie Profile (PS1)
    Well it's norse mythology in a video game that doesn't suck ass. Something I had been waiting quite awhile for. I actually got really lucky on my first playthrough and got the proper ending. I decided to check a guide when I was more than halfway through the game after I saw some stuff about a potentially bad ending. I checked the seal rating and found out it was too late to change anything but I was already locked in for the good ending. Speaking of which the final boss fight was balls. There is almost no way to grind in this game so you can't just overlevel. I had to set out Angel Curios on everyone and use Auto-Item: Angel Plume 100% to beat that shit...then the fun doesn't stop with the Seraphic gate. Lenneth + Brahms + Freya + Lezard = pro gate party.

Lunars (PS1)
    Just gonna bundle up both of them here, and yes I know they were on other consoles but these are the definitive versions for me. Pretty much what got me in to rpgs. Classic cheesy jrpg shit but I love it. Too many classic moments to count. I took my forum name from it. ^^

Tactics Ogre (PS1)
    Again the PS1 version is a port but it's better and in English. Pretty much the standard for srpgs imo and basically the precursor to FFT.

Vanguard Bandits (PS1)
    Ooooh boy some great times with this game. Got my ass kicked by Faulkner a lot before I figured out some strats. My brother on his first playthrough didn't care about keeping people alive so he got the shit ending. I gotta admit that ending took us both off-guard, very messed up ending and something you probably wouldn't see nowadays...just all-around depressing. I then played out the game again and again to get all the endings. The weird, semi-hidden Ruin Branch is really out there but so worth doing once.

Some more I just wanna mention (all PS1)

Suikoden
    Suikoden 2
    Persona
    Persona 2
    Brigandine
    Kartia
    Dragon Quest 7
    Star Ocean 2
    Thousand Arms
    Alundra

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Ah yes, as we all know. I mean, it's not like the industry has been the same since the Atari. It's not like there used to be no quality control and multiple consoles that were basically identical (pong consoles). It's not like there were unchecked 3rd party companies (tengen) releasing copies of games. It's not like 95%+ of old console game libraries are entirely unplayable or anything like that. Just had to ramble about that...now to get on topic...

Ftr SNES is just about to hit retro/vintage status. I say about 20 years, maybe 15 as a min. in which case it's already there. If you go off 20 years I have nothing but with 15 I've played a lot of SNES, Sega CD, Saturn and Playstation (Dreamcast not quite there yet ). Including PS1 any top list I make is going to be all PS1 so I'll include some non-sony console highlights...

Chrono Trigger
    Nights into Dreams
    Castlevania Rondo of Blood
    Super Mario World
    Super Metroid

As for my top games...

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
    What's to say...this is easily the best Castelvania game aside from Rondo of Blood which I would put right there with it which is saying a lot considering games like Aria of Sorrow are out there. Absolutely everything a Castlevania game should be.

Valkyrie Profile (PS1)
    Well it's norse mythology in a video game that doesn't suck ass. Something I had been waiting quite awhile for. I actually got really lucky on my first playthrough and got the proper ending. I decided to check a guide when I was more than halfway through the game after I saw some stuff about a potentially bad ending. I checked the seal rating and found out it was too late to change anything but I was already locked in for the good ending. Speaking of which the final boss fight was balls. There is almost no way to grind in this game so you can't just overlevel. I had to set out Angel Curios on everyone and use Auto-Item: Angel Plume 100% to beat that shit...then the fun doesn't stop with the Seraphic gate. Lenneth + Brahms + Freya + Lezard = pro gate party.

Lunars (PS1)
    Just gonna bundle up both of them here, and yes I know they were on other consoles but these are the definitive versions for me. Pretty much what got me in to rpgs. Classic cheesy jrpg shit but I love it. Too many classic moments to count. I took my forum name from it. ^^

Tactics Ogre (PS1)
    Again the PS1 version is a port but it's better and in English. Pretty much the standard for srpgs imo and basically the precursor to FFT.

Vanguard Bandits (PS1)
    Ooooh boy some great times with this game. Got my ass kicked by Faulkner a lot before I figured out some strats. My brother on his first playthrough didn't care about keeping people alive so he got the shit ending. I gotta admit that ending took us both off-guard, very messed up ending and something you probably wouldn't see nowadays...just all-around depressing. I then played out the game again and again to get all the endings. The weird, semi-hidden Ruin Branch is really out there but so worth doing once.

Some more I just wanna mention (all PS1)

Suikoden
    Suikoden 2
    Persona
    Persona 2
    Brigandine
    Kartia
    Dragon Quest 7
    Star Ocean 2
    Thousand Arms
    Alundra
    WOW , Nice List man,

lol i LOVE Chrono Triger , its pretty fun havnet beaten it yet tho , i think my Save got Deleted !

and Sadly i never played alot of PS1 games as i dont own 1 , i got a PS2 Tho and i can download games and play them , what would be some Great Cant Miss PSX Games you Would Recommend?? (well Besides Spyro and Crash cuz i have played those )

Thanks
    Last edited by Crazymooshu; 14th-December-2011 at 22:30.

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Judging from what you posted earlier you would like Alundra. Unless you mean you want PS2 games, in which case I recommend Shadow of the Colossus, Odin Sphere, Zone of the Enders 1-2.

Those are all action-type games. Again I'm judging off the fact that you like Zelda and Megaman. If you like jrpgs there's a ton more I would recommend as that is the bulk of what I play.

Thanks
    EP Points

i dont mind RPG Games whats the Dif between jrpg and rpg really, and ill try those PS1 and PS2 Games soon Hopefully, and those the only PS1 games you can think of?

Thanks

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymooshu View Post
    WOW , Nice List man,

lol i LOVE Chrono Triger , its pretty fun havnet beaten it yet tho , i think my Save got Deleted !

and Sadly i never played alot of PS1 games as i dont own 1 , i got a PS2 Tho and i can download games and play them , what would be some Great Cant Miss PSX Games you Would Recommend?? (well Besides Spyro and Crash cuz i have played those )

Thanks
    If you need games recommendations, ask here, try to keep your own thread on topic

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Road Rash on the Sega Genesis, the system with BLAST PROCESSING. I loved when the cop came around, that meant I could try stealing his bat and whacking the other racers off their bikes like a complete dick.

Thanks
    EP Points

Most of you speaking of Mega Drive/Genesis! Did anyone ever had a Master System? Oh, the days when Alex Kidd was SEGA's mascot. I've beated it lots of times. Took a long time to discover the last puzzle though. I didn't know english that time (and I didn't even know if anyone told the secret ingame).

But, my father finally sold the System, and he bought a NES. Man, what were those GRAPHICS! I didn't really knew the difference between the consoles, but for me the NES had better "ink" (don't judge me, I was 4 years old). We had a cartrige with Super Mario Bros. and the original Mario Bros game (the one with the turtles coming out of the pipes). It was superb playing those games. Then, my brother gave me Super Mario Bros. 3 as a present... Man, I wouldn't let my father play! He had to beat me to leave the console though... But then he allowed me to play as second player, so I was happy again.

But, we got bored of the same games all the time (I think we had only 6 cartridges, can't remember the other games), so my father sold it and bought a Master System 3 (again, we thought it was different, just because it had Sonic the Hedgehog in the "memory"). But we had discovered sonic there. So much fun. We've finished it lots of times too, and then my father rented Sonic the Hedgehog 2! More fun! I was impressed how sonic could fly with that hang glider. We've beated it too, but my father wanted to try something more "violent". A company in Brazil had ported MK3 to the Master System, and so, my father rented it as well. He played alone while I was watching. When he got to Motaro, I started crying and shouted for him to turn off the console!. He had to deliver that cartrige, because I didn't wanted anyone to play the "devil's game", LOL.

But I think it's enough of my child gamer story, I got other consoles over time, but the Master System was one of the best.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Fischer View Post
    Most of you speaking of Mega Drive/Genesis! Did anyone ever had a Master System? Oh, the days when Alex Kidd was SEGA's mascot. I've beated it lots of times. Took a long time to discover the last puzzle though. I didn't know english that time (and I didn't even know if anyone told the secret ingame).

But, my father finally sold the System, and he bought a NES. Man, what were those GRAPHICS! I didn't really knew the difference between the consoles, but for me the NES had better "ink" (don't judge me, I was 4 years old). We had a cartrige with Super Mario Bros. and the original Mario Bros game (the one with the turtles coming out of the pipes). It was superb playing those games. Then, my brother gave me Super Mario Bros. 3 as a present... Man, I wouldn't let my father play! He had to beat me to leave the console though... But then he allowed me to play as second player, so I was happy again.

But, we got bored of the same games all the time (I think we had only 6 cartridges, can't remember the other games), so my father sold it and bought a Master System 3 (again, we thought it was different, just because it had Sonic the Hedgehog in the "memory"). But we had discovered sonic there. So much fun. We've finished it lots of times too, and then my father rented Sonic the Hedgehog 2! More fun! I was impressed how sonic could fly with that hang glider. We've beated it too, but my father wanted to try something more "violent". A company in Brazil had ported MK3 to the Master System, and so, my father rented it as well. He played alone while I was watching. When he got to Motaro, I started crying and shouted for him to turn off the console!. He had to deliver that cartrige, because I didn't wanted anyone to play the "devil's game", LOL.
    But I think it's enough of my child gamer story, I got other consoles over time, but the Master System was one of the best.
    Yea i wish i had a Sega System of Some Sort too when i was younger, but i loved playing Super Mario Bros 3, and the the first 1 aswell

I Loved Playing Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars As well, also the Mario Party Series is Pretty Decent

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Intellivision - Where I became a gamer.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

monkey_island.jpg
    Secret Of Monkey Island
    This is what made me truly love gaming. This is what pioneered the adventure games, it made them more approachable, that had clever writing. And this game will remind me of good times, of that bulky screen and that white desktop tower.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nice thread topic! I will list a small handful of my absolute fav retro games that make me miss my childhood (no, really).

1.Chrono Trigger-Hands down the greatest thing I've ever played
    2.Shining Force 2-The battle, characters and story all make this game awesome!
    3.Dragon Warrior 1-The first RPG I ever played
    4.Landstalker-Awesome puzzles and story
    5.Final Fantasy 7-Not toooo retro but 5th generation is retro to me lol. Should I really have to explain why this game is on my list? I didnt think so. I cut school two days straight with a friend when it released lol.
    Over 400+ Gaming Vids @ Doctorwordsworth's
    Need an Avatar? Stop by Planet of Avatars!
    For Video game documentation of any kind head on over to Game Docs 'R' Us!