Thread: strange problem downloading/unzipping to desktop

Thanks
    EP Points

Default strange problem downloading/unzipping to desktop

I just started getting this problem on my windows 7 home premium 64bit computer whenever I download or unzip to my desktop it doesn't appear on the desktop but I can go to my computer and find desktop and the files are in the folder any ideas.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes, it's because of the networking features implemented in Win7, your desktop can be allocated to several different folders. That means you sometimes can have a two files with the exact same file name on your desktop (In reality, they're in two different folders).

What has happened to you is that for some reason, your windows can't allocate one of your desktop folders to your real desktop. This problem can be solved if you play around with windows security settings a bit, but I can't tell you exactly how, since I don't have Win7.

Edit: A possible workaround is that, if you didn't have this problem before, you can restore your system settings back to where it was still ok. Hit F1 in windows and search for "System Restore" to find how.

Edit 2: Another possible reason for this might be that windows fails to refresh your desktop after you download/unzip. Hit F5 on your desktop and you should be able to see your files if that's the case.
    Last edited by gezegond; 9th-December-2011 at 03:52.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gezegond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

whoa watch out genius on board lol
    Over 400+ Gaming Vids @ Doctorwordsworth's
    Need an Avatar? Stop by Planet of Avatars!
    For Video game documentation of any kind head on over to Game Docs 'R' Us!

Thanks
    EP Points

before you answered I got a message that a program was unresponsive and may need to close guess what it was windows I hit cancel and rebooted my computer all is good now running a virus scan to be sure though.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.