Thread: help with pc game errors

Thanks

Default help with pc game errors

hey guys re2 here now ive put translation patches and other problems aside with one thing that may more or less be simple to me anyway im trying to run the pc version of the suffering 1 on my pc and i get this error it reads:

An error occurred while trying to initialize the display.
    Please check that your video drivers are installed properly
    and then go to the engine options dialog to select a valid display mode.

what does this mean and is there a way around it i just found this game and idk what to do clue please?
    like i said im open to ideas
    Last edited by resident evil2 nemesis; 4th-December-2011 at 13:29.

Thanks
    EP Points

Try this:

- Update the game (patch to 1.1)
    - run the game as administrator
    - change your screen res to 1024x768 or 800x600
    - look on the game dir for a *.ini file, open it and search if contain the screen res, change to 640x480
    - type regedit and search on registry settings for "suffering" key and see if contain the screen res, edit to 640x480

Later, if you can run the game, change the screen res. to something better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

resident evil2 nemesis, please edit your last post if it's the last post in the thread and you need to add something, multiple posting isn't allowed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Beast View Post
    resident evil2 nemesis, please edit your last post if it's the last post in the thread and you need to add something, multiple posting isn't allowed.
    oh sorry

Quote Originally Posted by WitchHunter View Post
    Try this:

- Update the game (patch to 1.1)
    - run the game as administrator
    - change your screen res to 1024x768 or 800x600
    - look on the game dir for a *.ini file, open it and search if contain the screen res, change to 640x480
    - type regedit and search on registry settings for "suffering" key and see if contain the screen res, edit to 640x480

Later, if you can run the game, change the screen res. to something better.
    why do i need to run it as administrator and i cant patch the game got anything to help with this?
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 4th-December-2011 at 17:28. Reason: yeah, sorry but you just did it again :rolleyes:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Some software just requires that you run it as an admin, as for the why it's to do with file access rights from what I remember, sometimes you need that even if your are admin.. realy don't know what that is about though

Isn't the RE2 patch just a couple of files replaced and not realy a patch at all... though you do need the correct one that matches the same region as the game that can be hardish to find or the patch will not be extracted or something like that it's been a few years since I bothered with RE2 PC version, personly I like the Dreamcast/GameCube versions best

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

@Zorlon: "Resident Evil 2" is his name, the game he's trying to play is "The Suffering".

@resident evil2 nemesis: display mode can be referred to color depth, try lowering it. (IN XP, right click on desktop->Properties->Settings->Color Quality. Try lowering it to 16bit, see if that helps.

Thanks
    EP Points

I know this thread is nearly a month old but if you haven't found your answer yet and your running windows 7 you can try compatibility mode right click on the file go to properties compatibility tab select windows xp service pack 2 or 3 under settings click run in 256 colors run in 640x480 and disable desktop composition under privilege level click run this program as administrator apply these changes and try to run the game again.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.