Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MasJ, Here is the Newcomer FAQ posted.

Zero126 Guest

What about my ZSNES setup FAQ?

D-Style Guest

Cool. I'll pm jadesaber about this.

Oh and Zero, don't worry, all faqs are welcome

JadeSaber Guest

Got the PM, D-Style. I wrote back in reply.
    I might be up for helping, but keep in mind I really don't know all that much about some of the more recent emulators. I have a horrible connection, so I know practically zip about ISO's and burning them. I planned to tackle copying a backup of my DDR Disney tomorrow to get some first hand experience myself using the FAQ. I think that everything is covered if you put it all together right, but there really isn't something for directly addressing start to finish backups.
    One interresting thing that I think I have found are BLACK CD-R's at Wal-Mart. I do still have a black Carbon CD, but I don't know if these black CDs are the same. They are TDK 700MB up to 40X compatible with a section on the cover that says "For Game, Audio and Data Storage. They were only like 5 bucks for 10 in slim case, so I grabbed them to try them out. I think they may be a bit better for burning ISO's on since they are more like official discs and the laser will possibly work better. But this is a theory. I will let you know if I find anything out. If anyone knows more, let me know too, ok? This may be some really useful info for ISO burning. But then again, it could be just the same old thing.

You know, the reason I made the FAQ is mostly because I didn't know much about this stuff either until I came here.

Synbios Guest

Seeing as the Rom Related board consists mainly of requests for ISOs, I think there should be a mention of newsgroups, which are BY FAR the best method of obtaining them.

With a program called Fort� Agent and a quick visit to your ISP's website to find out your news server you can forget about waiting in queues on FTPs and get ready for happy, fast downloading of your favourite games!

The only problems are:
    1. Your ISP not having a news server, meaning your only options are to find a good free one (not very many of these, unfortunately) or pay for one.
    2. The games only stay for around a couple of days, so if you're on a slow connection you have to be really quick in starting the download. It's definitely not impossible to get them though, I'm on a 56k and have managed to get lots, just make sure it's only just been posted, otherwise the chances are you're in for some disappointment later when you go back to the download only to find out it's gone and you're stuck with a bunch of useless files.

The games are posted in .RAR parts so you'll need WinRAR: http://www.rarlab.com/

And Fort� Agent: http://www.forteinc.com/

And as for the groups, look for the ones starting with:
    alt.binaries.cd.image

That's about it!

D-Style Guest

Hey Synbio, thx for the info. I haven't read ay about that in the forum so it's very helpfull thx.

Here's a vote from me

JadeSaber Guest

Default BUMP

On second thought, make THIS one sticky! Or post a link to where the permanent FAQ is so we can stick them in Newbie replies.

Thanks!