Thread: Playstation Gamepad for PC

Thanks

Default Playstation Gamepad for PC

Hey guys,

So I was looking into this since my family is most likely gonna buy stuff online for Christmas, which we will just bundle it in 1 shipping if possible.

Anyway, I was playing Elder Scrolls: Skyrim... I kinda felt like a controller would be easier for my sake coz I'm not sure if it's just me but the control interface on pc was kinda annoying.
    Second, I like the epsxe and pcsx2 emulators, and some racing games (mostly gran turismo) would be easier with a controller too.

So I figured looking into a playstation gamepad for pc, or basically a playstation 2 controller... or a ps3 controller, whichever is more adaptable.

Well... I'm not sure how gamepads work at all. I have absolutely no idea. I always preferred Keyboard and Mouse for a while.

Questions:
    -Can I format my controller for almost any PC game I own? Such as Fallout 3, Skyrim, etc... Press R1 = Fire or something of that sort.
    -The only format I'm sure of is a usb adapter sort of thing. Any others? -I'm ok with the USB, unless say a wireless (if exists) would be "better"
    -Is there any catch on using a gamepad? Such as, can I just plug in the USB and Windows 7 will automatically look into it? If any installments are needed it would probably come packed I'd assume.
    -Suggested brands? Not sure if I can just buy any usb adapter and plug in any playstation controller I got.

Thanks guys. I'm googling while I leave this here for suggestions and such.

Username: SoySauce (or similar) Name: Kenshii

Thanks
    EP Points

Best bet would probably be an Xbox 360 controller either wired or wireless. Windows will find it right off the bat. And game that supports a gamepad will work and if it doesn't there are profiler programs like Xpadder that you can bind keyboard/mouse movements and buttons to. For example I have profiles set up for things as old as Doom 2 and old sierra point and click games. I also use it as my mouse. It runs perfectly with all of the mainstream Emulators too.

Thanks

Here is a link explaining how to install the drivers and configure it, and explains a few things such as wirelessly connecting it to your PC. And, to answer your questions:

1. For most games, yes. There are a couple games I've heard of that don't let you customize the controls, but those are few and far between.
    2. According to the link, you may be able to use a bluetooth adapter, but it seems pretty hit-or-miss.
    3. For a PS3 pad, you'll have to download and install a few things to get it working. If you want a simple plug-n-play controller, the wired 360 pad works great.
    4. Your PS3 controller should have come with the cord you need to plug into your PC (the one used to charge it). If you need to get a new one I can't recommend any brands, just make sure you check out the reviews and make sure it's long enough. This looks like a good one.
    We got so much in common, except when it comes to rhyming
    She feel like lyrics are so intrusive, but I feel about her the way she feels about music
    She's cute, she don't like the words, she just likes the beat and I'm thinking me too

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Push comes to shove you could get one of those PS2 to USB adapters on ebay / amazon / dealextreme for cheap and use a PS2 controller in your PC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    Push comes to shove you could get one of those PS2 to USB adapters on ebay / amazon / dealextreme for cheap and use a PS2 controller in your PC
    That's what I was thinking. Just wasn't sure if there's more tech stuff into it. Such as plug it in and it's already formatted or not (which I don't mind formatting, just need to know).

I guess the main portion would be getting it to work the the ps1/ps2 emulators. Since I mean, if I got a PC game, I'm probably comfortable with keyboard + mouse. It would be nice though just to mess with the controller (like Skyrim) since I have it available. But I guess it also comes down to if the game allows a gamepad or not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soysauce2rice View Post
    I guess the main portion would be getting it to work the the ps1/ps2 emulators. Since I mean, if I got a PC game, I'm probably comfortable with keyboard + mouse. It would be nice though just to mess with the controller (like Skyrim) since I have it available. But I guess it also comes down to if the game allows a gamepad or not.
    I use my gamepad with pSX and it works fine, but I'm not sure about PS2 emulators. They should work fine though. And most PC games allow the use of a gamepad. Personally, I haven't found a PC game that doesn't support my pad aside from really old games that I need to use DosBox for.
    We got so much in common, except when it comes to rhyming
    She feel like lyrics are so intrusive, but I feel about her the way she feels about music
    She's cute, she don't like the words, she just likes the beat and I'm thinking me too

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by soysauce2rice View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Just wasn't sure if there's more tech stuff into it. Such as plug it in and it's already formatted or not (which I don't mind formatting, just need to know).
    Na those adapters are plug and play mate

Thanks

Not every game natively supports a gamepad, but like Qwelzaar and others have said, programs like Xpadder and Joy2Key will assign the keyboard buttons to your PC gamepad.

You can get a PC Controller, but it is cheaper to get a PS/PS2 to PC adapter if you have those controllers already (like $5 including shipping if I remember correctly).

I don't know a single emulator that doesn't support a gamepad, but once again, just use Joy2Key or Xpadder to assign those buttons to the PC gamepad if the emulator you use doesn't support it. You'll find plenty of guides on how to use the programs and it's fairly easy if you are computer literate. Let us know when you buy it if you have anymore troubles.

Thanks

I'll probably buy a ps2 to usb adapter either tomorrow or next week so we'll see.
    Mind as well get a new ps2 controller too haha... old controller is beat up and dusty. My bro can have that one while I get the new one

Edit:

After looking around...
    I'm kinda looking into a pc gamepad now.

So anyone know some good types? haha. Preferably wired, vibrates and not on ebay :/ (don't ask =P)
    Looking for 1 that's kinda like the playstation controller format... the handles I guess, and 4 shoulder buttons. The xbox handles hurt my hands for some reason.

I mean, I might consider wireless if it's compatible with AA batteries and it's easy to replace. I saw this Logitech F710 but it's a tad pricey.

Currently looking at a Logitech - F510 Gaming Pad.
    Though yeah I'm a bit picky. I'm kinda looking for a controller without the fat handles. If I can't find one I found some deals where I would spend 20-30 USD for 2 sets of ps2 controllers and the usb (for me and my bro).

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by soysauce2rice; 3rd-December-2011 at 06:25.

Thanks

Right got the adapters, controllers, and gamepad to all come today. Went with the Logitech F510, works pretty good. Only wish the "L2 and R2" buttons weren't so much like triggers but actual buttons (I can't really explain).

They all work for the epsxe/psx emulator and pcsx2.

Though something happened with the psx emulator. I'm using pSX v1.13.
    When I'm at the Main Menu of the playstation, as in selecting Memory Card or CD Player, the Blue Arrow is gone. So I can't select Memory Card or CD Player, or press X to view anything. It's not frozen because I can insert a CD Image and it'll play. Any ideas?

Other than that, everything worked out great. Thanks guys, Merry Christmas~ =P

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Qwelzaar View Post
    I use my gamepad with pSX and it works fine, but I'm not sure about PS2 emulators. They should work fine though. And most PC games allow the use of a gamepad. Personally, I haven't found a PC game that doesn't support my pad aside from really old games that I need to use DosBox for.
    PCSX2 can use my controller with my converter, so you can use your actual PS2/PSX controller on PS2.