Thread: Usb playstation 2 Games

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Usb playstation 2 Games

Ok so i aint started a thread for a while and i have searched the playsation2 section but cant find my answer so here goes.

Can i just dump an iso onto a usb and run with Hdloader on my slim ps2?

I have usb extreme but have no idea what it does or how to use it.

Do i need a ntwork adapter (sure i read that somewhere)

Im not really bothered about getting this working but on of my mates asked me if it was possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey, Darklinky - In answer to your query: Is USB-Loading possible on PS2? You bet! Practical? Well....

The PS2 and slim PStwo consoles only have USB 1.0 ports, so data-transfer/loading is slow, and FMV (video scenes not rendered in the game's own engine... movie clips) will stutter like mad, and drive you crazy. However, gameplay is possible if FMV isn't a big deal to you.

To put games on your FAT32-formatted USB drive, use an app for PC called "USB-Util 2.0"... it can be found at the website "SKSapps". Games won't load if they're just dragged-and-dropped in .iso format.

USB-Advance is the program you need to boot games from USB drives... HDLoader will only work with an IDE HDD installed in a fat PS2 via the Network Adapter.

To sum up: Your mileage may vary, but to me, the stuttering video was a deal-breaker... but don't let me talk you out of it. Give it a go and see for yourself. Actually, the game I had the best luck with was "The Adventures of Cookie and Cream"... no video to speak of, and it worked flawlessly.

Hope this info is helpful.

EDIT: A partial compatibility list can be found here, far right column:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Just click on a letter of the alphabet at the top of the screen to search for your game.
    Last edited by Rockstar1983; 30th-November-2011 at 09:12.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

Thanks
    EP Points

Spoiler warning:

Quote Originally Posted by Alakazander View Post
    1. No, you do not have to buy a network adapter with the slim PS2 (but that will not matter).

2. Alright, I am going to try to answer you with my (apparently) limited knowledge:

You do not connect a USD HDD to the network adapter. You need to use an internal IDE drive. HDloader will not run a game from a USB HDD.
    Also, you can not install an internal HDD on a slim PS2. Sony lost interest after HDloader was made (I wonder why ?).

However, there is some homebrew called USBadvance/USBExtreme that will load form the USB port at the front of the console. You can use either a Flash/Jump/Pen Drive, an external HDD, or an internal HDD with an external USB Enclosure.
    But like Zorlon said earlier, it uses USB 1.1, so running games will load very slowly with limited compatibility. Check out this Compatibility List

My advice:
    If you are getting a Slim (SCPH-70000), use discs. If you are getting a 'fat' (SCPH-30000), you may want to consider getting an internal HDD.
    Remember that thread ?

Also, you should just be able to put USBadvance/USB Extreeme on a flash drive, then run it with UlaunchELF.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 4th-December-2011 at 19:12.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks im not gonna bother i just wondered, i have hundreds of discs of ps2 games.

But thanks for the info.

Thanks
    EP Points

HDLoader run from a FMCB memory card won't read ESR patched discs to rip them to the HDD by the way. Originals only.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darklinky View Post
    Thanks im not gonna bother i just wondered, i have hundreds of discs of ps2 games.

But thanks for the info.
    Oh, well.

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    HDLoader run from a FMCB memory card won't read ESR patched discs to rip them to the HDD by the way. Originals only.
    This is why there's a marvelous little PC app called "WinHiip 1.7.6"... it allows you to install your PS2's IDE HDD into your desktop PC (or use a fresh one; WinHiip can format it for PS2 use, also) and install games from original disc, backup disc, or image file. Dig:

WinHiip is used to copy PS2 games (which you own) to your PS2 HDD from your PC. As a disc you can use CD's (original and back-ups), DVD's (original and back-ups), ISO's, NRG's, BIN's, MDF's, etc. Supports almost anything.

After starting the application you must select the PS2 drive (WinHiip
    automatically recognizes the Ps2 drive in your PC and selects it). If you are using a brand-new drive you can format it into the PS2 format. You can also format an existing drive (Remeber formating a drive erases it).

Now you can select an CD/DVD or image file. After you give it the correct display name and the correct game mode you can copy it to your PS2 drive. If you use images it will use the filename as display name (e.g. apeescape2.iso will be named apeescape2 instead of Ape Escape 2). You can always rename an installed game and change the game mode.

It supports drives over 128 Gb (48bit HDL patch) and it can apply (and undo) PPF files (patches) on the installed games. It is way faster than copying within HDAdvance on the PS2. HDLDump doesnt work with a >160 GB drive.
    I'm saving an old WinXP PC for this very purpose.
    Last edited by Rockstar1983; 1st-December-2011 at 07:36. Reason: Small font was too small.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes and I used to have WinHIIP, worked fine for me on Windows 7 by the way.

Thanks
    EP Points

Good to know, Inferno. Thanks.