Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is DLC worth it?

Thanks

Default Is DLC worth it?

I am used to previous generations where the use of internet as a means of distributiion were non-existent (I have never used services such as PSN or XBOX-Live before and probably never will). However am I missing out by buying a game that has DLC that I won't purchase?

Common complaints about DLC I hear are:

1. it is overpriced
    2. the DLC content should have been included on the physical disc
    3. it is not gameplay content (just cheat and aesthetic packages)
    4. it only has a one time use/activation

So I ask is it worth bothering with DLC? Also is DLC region locked?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

To answer your questions briefly, it depends on the game. Some DLCs are worth getting them and some are region locked.

Thanks

Like the above said, it depends on the game and DLC. For exsample, Oblivion's Silvering Isles DLC is basically a whole other game, it may be $20 but you'll get more out of it then most $60 games now days. There is also the Grand Theft Auto IV episodes, new campaigns for $20 each that are very easily worth the money (bought both of them). Of course there are small things that may not be worth it, like Oblivion's horse armor ($5 or so, still not worth it). And then there are the inbetweens, like map packs for popular shooters such as Call of Duty and Halo, which average at around $10. This middle area is closest to personal opinion of worth then the other two, and really all and all it depends on how much money you're willing to spend and how much you love the game.

If you're questioning the legality of post launch content you have to pay for, part of it is how you feel about it. I for one think it's ok for content created completely or at least mostly after launch, as at that point it's outside the game's budget schedule and additional money for additional time is necessary and understandable. However, what I don't think should be tolerated are DLC made BEFORE the game is out is built to go along with it, as that is created along with the game under the same budget and schedule and has no reason but attempting to milk people not to put it into the original release, unless it was something that couldn't fit with everything else because of disk space or something like that.

In the end, DLC isn't a bad thing but it indeed can be used for evil. If you like a game well enough to pay for additional adventures into it's world, then as long as your wallet be willing then it can be worth the investment...sometimes anyways, make sure you know what you're getting.
    Last edited by Searyan; 26th-November-2011 at 12:51.

Supreme Warrior Guest

DLC is just this eras new way of scamming you out of your money, things that should of been there in the first place and they make you pay extra for it when you already paid $60 for a single game, which is ridiculous.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    DLC is just this eras new way of scamming you out of your money, things that should of been there in the first place and they make you pay extra for it when you already paid $60 for a single game, which is ridiculous.
    Simplification. There's also DLC that's too big to fit on a disk (that zombie mode from Red Dead Redemption) or just extra stuff made later on. Sadly, more and more companies keep abusing DLC for quick cash in insulting scams.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    Simplification. There's also DLC that's too big to fit on a disk (that zombie mode from Red Dead Redemption) or just extra stuff made later on. Sadly, more and more companies keep abusing DLC for quick cash in insulting scams.
    Especially releasing it on release date. Very effective way to get more money.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks

well some DLC are worth it for example metal slug XX leona herdin or whatever her last name is is a DLC character for what i heard 99c and she is the 2nd best character if not the best character in the game so yeah basically some DLC are good some are bad some are really annoying

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by resident evil2 nemesis View Post
    well some DLC are worth it for example metal slug XX leona herdin or whatever her last name is is a DLC character for what i heard 99c and she is the 2nd best character if not the best character in the game so yeah basically some DLC are good some are bad some are really annoying
    Yeah, that's a scam, making you play for someone who should already be there.

Thanks

Yeah, that's a scam, making you play for someone who should already be there.
    yeah true also its for psp just in case u didnt know so yeah for 99 cents and for the fact its one character it should be in the game in the first place it does have the space to have it in there in the first place snk should rerelease metal slug xx with the character in the game in the first place

Thanks

Simplification. There's also DLC that's too big to fit on a disk
    They could just release the game on multiple discs. IMO the only viable excuse for DLC is time constraints

Thanks
    EP Points

The concept of DLC is good, being able to deliver content post-launch to extend the life span of a game, but the industry does abuse it to turn a quick buck with DLCs like "PAY $5 FOR THIS EXTRA WEAPON PACK/CHARACTER SKIN!"

It's been said before, but day 1 dlc feel particularly scam-worthy, you can almost feel the content on the disc.

That being said, not all DLC is bad, one good example I can think of is "The Secret Armory of General Knoxx" DLC for Borderlands, that DLC added like 20-30 hours of additional game play for me.

Thanks
    EP Points

All I really have to say is that publishers need to learn where the line is between microtransactions and DLC. Neither is fundamentally bad, but they aren't the same thing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't think DLC is bad, I enjoy a LOT of DLCs. Map packs for Halo: Reach and MW2 and MW3 (When they're released.)

Also hopefully the Skyrim DLCs will be good as well.

2 of the 4 Borderlands DLCs were the best though.

Thanks
    EP Points

No. Being charged for content that should have been included in the first place. Shit sucks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by redrickoshea View Post
    They could just release the game on multiple discs. IMO the only viable excuse for DLC is time constraints
    That shit went out the window a long time ago. It costs extra cash on the publisher's side to do something like that and not everyone can afford it at this point other then juggernauts like Activision. I'm cool with with DLC if it's extra stuff they finished after the game was made or was some sort of freebie that was thrown in. Problem comes with guys like Capcom who abuse the fuck out of DLC. Paying for characters already on the disk? Really?