Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is DLC worth it?

Thanks
    EP Points

DLCs aren't worth it. In not so distant past character skins were free (mostly fan made), games had editors&tools and most of good games had ADD ONS. You now that things that are made after game release - not removed from actual game and the sold piece by piece like puzzle.
    Hard Drives in consoles doomed us all.

----
    Here in Poland we have 'polish' prices for PC games and 'european (aka Steam)' prices for dlcs. For example Call of Duty (and most new PC games) cost less than 25€ so I just don't give fuck about dlcs that cost 70% of game. I can pay for big things like mentioned Shivering Isles or Episodes from LC but 2 hour long crap from Mass Effect 2 should for free.
    Last edited by ponury_indor; 26th-November-2011 at 21:45.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by realiticness2 View Post
    I am used to previous generations where the use of internet as a means of distributiion were non-existent (I have never used services such as PSN or XBOX-Live before and probably never will).
    They're not that scary of services. PSN is free, even.

However am I missing out by buying a game that has DLC that I won't purchase?
    No, never.

Common complaints about DLC I hear are:

1. it is overpriced
    2. the DLC content should have been included on the physical disc
    3. it is not gameplay content (just cheat and aesthetic packages)
    4. it only has a one time use/activation
    To all these, I say.. sometimes?

For 1, just research what you're getting into. I guarantee you a major review site (or someone who cares less about wasting money) will have played the DLC before you want to buy it, so look into what you're going to get for your money.

2. Sometimes, again. Sometimes it's just not finished. Sometimes it is finished, but they paid the programmers or modelers or whatever to make whatever unnecessary content they're making knowing that they'll recoup the losses of adding extra stuff (That still fit because the disc wasn't 100% full. How horrible!) by releasing it as DLC.

Since you said you haven't used online services that DLC often comes through, I'll again just say "sometimes" for 3, but it's not like they just say DLC PACK BUY NOW, and then you buy it and may or may not get actual gameplay material. DLC packs are always well labeled if you can read. I refer back to number 1 again about just doing your research on a DLC pack before you get it if you're unsure.

For 4, yes but so what? The DLC is bound to your account (XBL or PSN or Steam or whatever). I can't speak for PSN, but for my Steam accounts, I've had access to my purchased content on any computer I've used, so long as I log into my account and authorize the computer. XBL has been a little bit more of a pain in the ass; you'll have to connect to the internet to verify that it's actually your account. Otherwise you won't have the DLC. Such has been my experience, at least.

So I ask is it worth bothering with DLC? Also is DLC region locked?
    I know nothing about region locking, but is it worth it? Sure, sometimes. It's really up to you. Like I said, just do your research beforehand.

People like to pretend they're fighting the machine by saying companies are just out to make cash grabs with DLC shit. Sometimes they're right (MVC3 Shadow Mode was god damned stupid, but so were you if you bought it expecting something great), but honestly just because content fit on the disc doesn't mean it necessarily should be included in the game price.

LONG STORY SHORT: Look up info on specific DLC to see if it's worth the price they're asking. If it is and you want it, get it. If not, don't.

Quote Originally Posted by redrickoshea
    They could just release the game on multiple discs. IMO the only viable excuse for DLC is time constraints
    And the cost of printing and shipping multiple discs would get passed onto the consumer, and you'd get a bunch of people whining that they have to pay more than 60 bucks for a game (Which, by the way, is still better than it used to be, accounting for inflation) just so it has some extra characters they could've done without or some set of missions tacked uncomfortably onto the end or side of a story.

I agree that there is some DLC out there that is just tacked-on cash grabs, but just remember that companies are budgeting their games with DLC in mind.
    Last edited by HowlerMonkey; 27th-November-2011 at 04:38.
    CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL I'M SO WAAAAACCKYYYYYYY

Thanks
    EP Points

For the most part, I like DLC. Personally, it added quite a bit of gameplay and weapons to my arsenal in the Mass Effect series. I can only recall one instance when I went "WTF!?" at a DLC. I *think* it was Burnout Paradise...the DLC content was packed on the disc, but you had to pay to unlock it.

That's a cheap shot.

Thanks

dlc is kind of region locked. i.e. if you buy a region free japanese game you will need a japanese xbl/psn account in order to download dlc for it (along with a points card from the region).

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by sprung
    the DLC content was packed on the disc, but you had to pay to unlock it.
    Ooooof. Brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by howler monkey
    Look up info on specific DLC to see if it's worth the price they're asking. If it is and you want it, get it. If not, don't.
    This.

I've found that for the most part DLC isn't worth it but occasionally there are some gems.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    The concept of DLC is good, being able to deliver content post-launch to extend the life span of a game, but the industry does abuse it to turn a quick buck with DLCs like "PAY $5 FOR THIS EXTRA WEAPON PACK/CHARACTER SKIN!"

It's been said before, but day 1 dlc feel particularly scam-worthy, you can almost feel the content on the disc.

That being said, not all DLC is bad, one good example I can think of is "The Secret Armory of General Knoxx" DLC for Borderlands, that DLC added like 20-30 hours of additional game play for me.
    Zombie Island of Dr. Ned was better though I Loled through that whole DLC was worth every Euro Cent

Thanks
    EP Points

I've found that for the most part DLC isn't worth it but occasionally there are some gems.
    This more or less sums up my thoughts on the subject.

Dragon Age: Origins' DLC was mostly meh as far as I remember, and The Guardian of Light's extra maps were the biggest ripoff ever. ME2's Lair of the Shadow Broker was pretty nice, though.

So yeah, just do some research and read up on/watch vids of the DLC in question before purchasing.

Thanks
    EP Points

I REALLY enjoyed the Fallout new Vegas DLC.

Old Time Blues was funny and they all sorta added to the main game.

Only DLC i ever really did like was that so now i just download pc DLC for free, if you know what i mean x

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    ME2's Lair of the Shadow Broker was pretty nice, though.
    Best DLC ever.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    For the most part, I like DLC. Personally, it added quite a bit of gameplay and weapons to my arsenal in the Mass Effect series. I can only recall one instance when I went "WTF!?" at a DLC. I *think* it was Burnout Paradise...the DLC content was packed on the disc, but you had to pay to unlock it.

That's a cheap shot.
    I don't recall the Big Surf Island being on the Ultimate Box blueray, at least that was an actual download.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Beast View Post
    I don't recall the Big Surf Island being on the Ultimate Box blueray, at least that was an actual download.
    BSI was included in one of the updates to the game.

Mostly so that when you're in a lobby with someone who has it, they don't crash the game by going there.

And it doesn't divide the online between payers and non payers.

So there's that.'

EDIT- as to the topic on hand, DLC can't be blanketed. It's very similar to purchasing games. There's a question of what it's worth and what it's worth to you. If you're a fan of the game, the DLC may not seem like such a bad idea (unless it's a blatant ripoff). If you're not, you probably shouldn't get it (unless it's damn good DLC). It's very much a case by case basis. I've had bits that I loved, bits I disliked, and bits I felt betrayed/pissed off about (damnable on disc DLC). It varies.

Or you could always wait a year or two for the inevitable Game+DLC bundle. That's always a solid choice.
    Last edited by Raype; 27th-November-2011 at 17:51.

Thanks

Not worth it IMO. Only time I ever get DLC is if I have microsoft points to burn from holidays/freebies.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Some DLC is way too short given the price. On the other hand if you're into multiplayer games and want a new skin or something, I'd say it's worth it. But I rarely go for DLC. If it's worthy of playing, shoulda been on the disc I bought for 60 bucks.

Thanks

I can't tell you whether or not DLC is general is worth it. It varies from game-to-game and person-to-person. The DLC for Fallout 3, for example, added entire areas and stories to the game and, with Broken Steel, extended the main story. An example of companies using DLC to get as much money for as little effort as possible would be Resident Evil 5's multiplayer "DLC". With that, you were paying $5 for a small piece of code that unlocked content already on the disc. Unfortunately, like with most things, the bad significantly outweighs the good.

So, the best thing for you to do, TC, is to do a bit of research on DLC that interests you and determine whether or not you're getting your money's worth.
    We got so much in common, except when it comes to rhyming
    She feel like lyrics are so intrusive, but I feel about her the way she feels about music
    She's cute, she don't like the words, she just likes the beat and I'm thinking me too

Thanks
    EP Points

personally i hate DLC to all hell, with me if its not free DLC is garbage, like for example, charging $7 for 1 additional character in blazblue, it pisses me off

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean