Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth playing MMORPGS/Online games?

Thanks

Default Is it worth playing MMORPGS/Online games?

I think that most MMORPGS are generic in the aspect that they just follow the Diablo formula (pick and create a character, then roam endlessly through a virtual world). I have played Diablo 2 and got bored with the generic item system, long maps and quests that are far and few between. Also I have played runescape when I was younger and I got bored quickly thinking the game was simplictic and required alot of grinding to get to places.

So I ask is it worth playing MMORPGS/Online games? Am I missing by out by buying a game that has online elements (like White Knight Chronicles) that I will play offline but really is designed for a full online experience?

Supreme Warrior Guest

its really a matter of opinion , I personally hate MMORPGs , there is no end to them, Level grinding takes years, no story, better off with a normal RPG or Dungeon Crawler (diablo/Dungeon Seige) and not to mention you need to pay monthly, simply ridiculous.

Thanks

Yeah, I agree with you. I personally like MMORPG games because I can play them with my friends. But honestly, there's really no reason beyond that. Unless you want to play co-op or with friends, you're better off playing normal RPG games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    not to mention you need to pay monthly, simply ridiculous.
    you should edit this to inculde free to play MMORPGS
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bennieboi20 View Post
    Which will make you pay for extra stuff, if you get too much into it. Or you have to pay to unlock the level cap.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I personally enjoy them, I like playing World of Warcraft...Well just because it's fun I guess, I enjoy it a lot better than Runescape.

Thanks

Yes, they're fun sometimes.

Try out a the free trials of some of the more popular ones, and just remember that just because you paid for 30 days of play time, you don't have to play for 30 days straight.

For me, every time I play an MMO, eventually I stop wanting to play it and start feeling like I SHOULD be playing it instead of something else. That's when I know it's time to quit, maybe try playing again in a few months/year. Try to get a friend to play with you. It'll be more fun.
    CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL I'M SO WAAAAACCKYYYYYYY

Thanks

Simple answer. No.
    Long answer. It's making you do nothing but waste your time by doing a hardly changing pattern of mouse clicks on the screen with no real value in it. In Arcade games there is value to which button you click when. In MMORPG's there is no strategy, just right click on the monster 'till it dies, sometimes clicking `1` or `2`. At least on Dungeon Crawlers you had strategy or some sort of story in it, not to mention the fact you never[?] need to grind you just keep walking the path. MMORPG's got none of that. Also, MMORPG are nothing like Multi Massive. Sure, there are a bunch of other people in the so called world, but your interactions with them are minor. Most likely it'll only piss you because you need to grind that specific monster and a bunch of other people are killing it instead of you.

That's my opinion, you may like it or not. But I've played this genre 'till I got sick of it. The only games of it I might like today are the ones who force you to party and the party actually need to cooperate in order to achieve it's target, else it's just empty.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bennieboi20 View Post
    they aint really free to play, they just trick you into thinking that, liking the game and then.........oh woe is me, i need to pay to get the ADVANCED FEATURES,

Bullcock.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Englebert3rd View Post
    Which will make you pay for extra stuff, if you get too much into it. Or you have to pay to unlock the level cap.
    nope, on MapleStory you can pay for extras for example clothes to make your character better but its not neccacary to purchase them.
    There some items that you can purchase from the cash shop though that are not avalible in the game through normal means (you can use the in game currency to purchase these items off people that buy the paid extras) which allow you to increase the stats of your weapon.
    As i mentioned previously though you can buy them in game which is what alot of people do, there is only 1 class which you will have to pay for later on down the line which is to a class called Dual Bladers, there are skill books that you have to purchase from the cash shop which you cannot obtain in the game world, though again you can have them traded to you i believe, but that is one class out of eighteen, so yeah take your pick. i should also note the level cap is 200, and guess what level you can go up to... wow its 200....

Quote Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey View Post
    Yes, they're fun sometimes.

Try out a the free trials of some of the more popular ones, and just remember that just because you paid for 30 days of play time, you don't have to play for 30 days straight.

For me, every time I play an MMO, eventually I stop wanting to play it and start feeling like I SHOULD be playing it instead of something else. That's when I know it's time to quit, maybe try playing again in a few months/year. Try to get a friend to play with you. It'll be more fun.
    precily my point although there are plenty of fun MMORPGS out there, alot of which are actually free if you look hard enough there are alot of games that you can play its just a matter of personal preference imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bug2000 View Post
    The only games of it I might like today are the ones who force you to party and the party actually need to cooperate in order to achieve it's target, else it's just empty.
    WoW is an example of something where you need to cooperate to be able to get to your objective, its called a Raid or an Instance, or on maple story you get things called party quests, where by you enter a dungeon and you have to co operate with eachother to pass onto the next stage ill give you one example, there is a party quest called LPQ, you go through the stages 1 by 1 and along the way there are certian chalenges that you must acomplish in order to move forward on 1 stage you have to work out which number of blocks your party should stand on by using the little hints that an NPC gives you its completly random the order in which it gives you the clues and the number order changes if you get the code wrong 3 times,is this not a sign of where you need to co operate to complete an end objective?
    Last edited by Bennieboi20; 27th-November-2011 at 10:06.
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

you could try tales of pirates it does have one main quest or try the second tales of pirates 2 "TOP2" basic character design choice of class easy to follow.

Thanks

Generally when you hear about these games it seems like the player dedicates all of their spare time to them/loses their social life in Reality.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Free= Depends. Sometimes.
    Pay= Never.

Thanks

MMORPGs, in my opinion, are not worth the time and/or money required to get the full experience. Any game with an active online community will take a certain amount of dedication to become good at and really enjoy, but MMORPGs, and MMOs in general, require more dedication than any other genre. Basically, if I can't adequately play a game online without tons of practice, grinding, etc., then it's not worth it. The only exception is RTS games, but I enjoy those off-line as well.
    We got so much in common, except when it comes to rhyming
    She feel like lyrics are so intrusive, but I feel about her the way she feels about music
    She's cute, she don't like the words, she just likes the beat and I'm thinking me too

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I work one job so I can get off and have the next 6 hours of my time spoken for by my raid guild on a game I pay to play, because I am stupid.

O wait, no. I don't.

I don't feel like paying $50 a year for expansions in addition to $15 a month for subscription. 15x12=180. 180+50=230. $230 yearly. Why is a boring game like WoW worth that? Some people are even so crazy that they spend extra money switching servers, factions, buying pets...

Instead I spend a bit of time trying f2p games or just playing other stuff. Right now, I'm pretty into DCUO. Basically the only thing you might want to subscribe or pay for is the cash limit which stops you from repairing once you're raid geared, but you can simply run a duo or alert and get enough to finish repairing. I really have no problem paying a few bucks to support a good f2p game in light of the fact I don't have to pay $200+ to play it for a year.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.