Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Square wants to release a Final Fantasy every year or two

Thanks
    EP Points

It's fine, I made a typo in that post so we're even. Kind of.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Quiji View Post
    The problem is is that isn't what sells. Remember when the 360 was a new thing back in 2006, and all those RPGs came out for it? Yeah, they didn't sell well. One of my favorite RPG series of all time, Star Ocean, sold horribly, so Japanese RPGs on new consoles are at a premium and are usually there to be on the library, not to sell well. And Square Enix likes money, so they just won't do that. That's why they tried to change XIII so much, because they knew the American/European markets didn't give two shits about old style RPGs.

I mean, hell, I would like to see an old fashioned Final Fantasy, some like V would be wondorful, but the modern market just wouldn't care. At all. The hardcore fans would get it (population of 500 people) and then nobody.
    That's not necessarily a change in tastes though.

360 fans (especially outside japan) are not really the target demographic of JRPGs.

They aren't even the target inside japan. Whenever one of those games got ported to the PS3 later, it winded up outselling its 360 counterpart despite being old news by that point.

Also, most sales come from those foreign markets. Probably because there's a lot more people out here. The problem is that developers in Japan seem to think they have to pander to those markets to receive sales in it. They don't. Most of us liked our games just the way they were. It's really just a huge misunderstanding with no real backing in reality.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Quiji View Post
    The problem is is that isn't what sells. Remember when the 360 was a new thing back in 2006, and all those RPGs came out for it? Yeah, they didn't sell well. One of my favorite RPG series of all time, Star Ocean, sold horribly, so Japanese RPGs on new consoles are at a premium and are usually there to be on the library, not to sell well. And Square Enix likes money, so they just won't do that. That's why they tried to change XIII so much, because they knew the American/European markets didn't give two shits about old style RPGs.

I mean, hell, I would like to see an old fashioned Final Fantasy, some like V would be wondorful, but the modern market just wouldn't care. At all. The hardcore fans would get it (population of 500 people) and then nobody.
    well they should at least give it another shot. i mean who knows, it might skyrocket in sales. as far as i know skyrim did fantastic. elder scrolls didnt really change their games a whole hell of a lot. at least not for the worst.
    "Life is what you make of it. Don't make excuses. Make it happen."
    This my World.
    --- Chamillionaire

Thanks

I don't mind change but the last two FF games I played (FF12,FF13) sat in an uncomfortable spot between Real-Time and Turn-Based, for me they held none of the benefits of either system and just felt like fake action games.

Hopefully they can figure something out, dunno how yearly releases would help though :\

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by negles View Post
    well they should at least give it another shot. i mean who knows, it might skyrocket in sales. as far as i know skyrim did fantastic. elder scrolls didnt really change their games a whole hell of a lot. at least not for the worst.
    The problem with this is that Skyrim is the fifth of the Elder Scrolls. Though they don't come out often, they are roughly all the same. Final Fantasy has around seventeen different games/sequels/continuations with its titles. The first six Final Fantasy titles were all roughly the same too, style-wise. As much as i would like to see another one, i would rather they stop creating than make something that's poor in design.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've never been a huge fan of the FF series. Although I have enjoyed quite a few of the games. Even though I was late to the party. First FF game I played was FF X. I don't really have a problem with them releasing a game every year or two. As long as the quality of the games does not derode. Though releasing a game every year, that could pose a risk over quality. Could also lead to oversaturation. Just my thoughts.

Thanks

I agree with what most have said, the Final Fantasy series is already all over the place with an absurd number of them already out. I used to think Final Fantasy was such an awesome series when I fell in love with VII and IX but now I think that they have a few things to learn about making good RPGs. I think it's time this series took off again. Either that or it bombs, either would work. At least they could make something different, even I am getting tired of hearing Final Fantasy.

Thanks
    EP Points

TBH i Think its time they take a Break from the FF Series and START KINGDOM HEARTS 3 ALREADY!, jezz they said after 12 or 13 was out they would work on KH 3 and it still Has not been worked on !
    (sorry for caps but it make me rage lol)

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:
    Processor: AMD FX PileDriver FX-8350 8 Core CPU ~4.0GHz (4.2GHz When Turbe Kicks in )
    Memory: 16GB AMD Entertainment Edition Ram Sticks (4x4096)
    Hard Drives: 180GB OCZ Vertex SSD for OS 1TB For Games 750GB For Data 500GB for Movies and Ubuntu)
    DVD Drive:1 ASUS Blu-Ray Burner and 2 DVD burners
    Video Card: Asus GeForce 660
    Motherboard: ASUS M5A97
    Power Supply: OCZ ModXstream 650 Watt
    Computer Case: Cooler Master Strom Stryker (White)

Thanks
    EP Points

http://www.thefinalfantasy.com/games/

Like someone said in the first page, FFs have been released on a more-or-less yearly basis since...forever. Why the indignation?

Thanks
    EP Points

i just want my final fantasy type 0 on the psp already i am tired of waiting for a new game to come out over here

Thanks

That is the american business model i guess. Bobby Kotick said they wanted franchises that could be exploited every year, the article states that square is trying to adopt that (atlus too, at least after that stock swap). The thing is that, like maniy of you guys said, there isnt such a huge gap between final fantasy releases, they all come out in about two years after another. What bothers me more is how those softhouses are recycling content, before Final Fantasy X, we never had such a repetition in Final Fantasys (the main branch at least) and even ffx fans thought ffx-2 to be, at its best, an epilogue for ffx and at its worst pure fan service. I also think its kinda weird how we read everywhere how jrpgs need to change and se adopts the business model used by companies that built a solid franchise and release more of the same every year.

Thanks

Rather than releasing new games every one/two year/s I wish they would adapt FF VII or other great ones from older consoles to the PS3 with refreshing new graphics and perhaps other improvements like handling/names or new Equpitment. FF XII and XIII were interesting in some ways, but I rather play the old ones with great Story, sometimes nice Sidequests, which you will remember for the side-quest-story rather what you get for doing it. (was it only my imagination or was FF XII more like a FF-turned Star Wars?). I think I will test FF XIII-2 but I really don't think it will be better than FF XIII or even the old ones. Perhaps they should aim to make a game with quite deep and interesting story and well thought gameplay, even if it takes 2-4 Years to make it, so the Buyer could say: "I really got what I paid for" (When I think a new PS3 Game costs over 80$ when it is released in my country and since releasing I hardly could find a game which was really worth paying so much for it.)

Thanks

That's it!
    Why so much hate for FF XIII. I just can't stand it. I've read lots of reviews, played the game, understood most of their concepts.
    Please, read these so that you'll understand what i'm talking about:
    http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff13...f13strev1.html
    and
    http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Final_...III/index.html

Square Enix IS realeasing good final fantasies. Yes, FF XII didn't have much character development. The story was ok. I enjoyed it. FF XIII had an interesting gameplay, and in my opinion it is one, if not the best and most innovative, Final Fantasy. SE is not afraid of innovation. FF XIII-2 seems fantastic. Each FF is unique in it's own way. And all, no exceptions, FFs are linear, the only difference being that they have towns for you to visit and NPCs that repeat the same thing over and over. FF XIII had an interesting gameplay, good story, good chracters and a beautiful world to explore (Pulse), even though it was accessible kinda late in the game, but it was worth the wait.

That, is my opinion. Before saying something bad against a game, consider all it's flaws and good points.

Thanks

when the FF got into the 12's and 14's I started to stop wanting FF as much to be honest, I wish they'd make a much better system to name there games becaus ealthough FF XIX -IIIX will prob be badass I prefer they do something about the titles that are verging on the confusing and ridiculous imho

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm fine with a new FF each year. A numbered one, not so much.