Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Square wants to release a Final Fantasy every year or two

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Square wants to release a Final Fantasy every year or two

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ry-year-or-two

New era in series is coming? New Final Fantasy from main series every year (plus handheld spin offs), dlcs, etc. Quantity over quality?
    Last edited by ponury_indor; 21st-November-2011 at 10:51.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ponury_indor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

alot of people slate the newer FF games but to be honest i quite enjoyed em all.

YES the older ones were better (by a mile) but i still enjoyed 10, 10-2, 12 and to an extent 13

Just hope if they do this they arnt just slapped together using the same engines year after year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I've enjoyed all the FF games, including XIII, but making it, or any other RPG franchise, a yearly franchise is just too much.

We want good games, not a new game every year.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Wait till they start getting lazy (Capcom) and outsourcing their development.

Last great Final Fantasy I played was 9, 9 was Bloody Fantastic.

Thanks

I trust Square. They haven't let me down yet. I loved each game in the series to date (I am a huge fanboy though). Final Fantasy Tactics(PS1) was my favorite to date but I loved all of the numbered Titles as well. I think regardless of what they choose we will receive the same quality games we have in the past. The stories have always been great and, come on, it's Square. I can't knock them for graphics. The only thing I'm afraid of is that I'll end up playing nothing but Final Fantasy games and have no time for anything else

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    Wait till they start getting lazy (Capcom) and outsourcing their development.

Last great Final Fantasy I played was 9, 9 was Bloody Fantastic.
    That's what I thought too. Besides they are releasing a Final Fantasy 14 2.0, knowing that they completely screwed up the original release.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fenshaw View Post
    (...) The only thing I'm afraid of is that I'll end up playing nothing but Final Fantasy games and have no time for anything else
    For me new FF each year means (probably) shorter games so your time should be safe.

Thanks

Maybe this series will become like the 'Friday the 13th' movies..... "FF 22: FF in the Space Hood" - !

I remember when that really BIG one was released for PSX a while back. (Part 4? 5?) That was a real world-shaker...my nephews used to play that game, back to front, for weeks at a time. (You know the one, two-disc set..)

Thanks
    EP Points

We know what happens when companies rush out a game every year. It's just not as great. I'm a little skeptical about this, considering their recent FF releases could've been a lot better.

Supreme Warrior Guest

im pretty sure they must be running low on cash, why else would they pull such a move?

Seriously though, we need more Enix style Games, and no, not dragon quest.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GradyWilson View Post
    Maybe this series will become like the 'Friday the 13th' movies..... "FF 22: FF in the Space Hood" - !

I remember when that really BIG one was released for PSX a while back. (Part 4? 5?) That was a real world-shaker...my nephews used to play that game, back to front, for weeks at a time. (You know the one, two-disc set..)
    you mean ffvii? that was 3 discs.

Thanks

i have to agree with surpreme seems they are just after money who knows maybe we will get some good games and we all will be shocked only time will tell

Supreme Warrior Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fattyotaku View Post
    i have to agree with surpreme seems they are just after money who knows maybe we will get some good games and we all will be shocked only time will tell
    indeed , im so glad im not on the hype train like most people, i just play what i feel like playing, mostly classics

Thanks

same here my ps2 gets more attention then my 360 some times

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Beast
    We want good games, not a new game every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by battousai11 View Post
    We know what happens when companies rush out a game every year. It's just not as great. I'm a little skeptical about this, considering their recent FF releases could've been a lot better.
    Yup, releasing a game every year means crap.

That's why IV, V, VI, IX, X, and XI were all utter shit.

(Psst: The secret word here is teams. A company the size of SE can have multiple teams working on differently numbered FF titles at the same time. FFVII and FFXIII were the exception, not the rule. And VII's delay was primarily due to jumping across platforms and difficulty getting it published. While we were playing/looking forward to VIII, X was already in development alongside IX. Pretty sure XI was being drawn up sometime around then too.)

EDIT- I should probably add that this doesn't come off as "we're trying to grab cash" so much as "our fans aren't going to have to wait ~4 more years (or, another way, roughly the span of time from VII to IX/from III to VI) for the next game". It's all in how you read it. To note, they cited a few companies that use the multi-team method to crank out releases. They've also been doing that with the FFXIII "series", although they clearly didn't have this planned out as well as they probably should have. Also, FFXIII-2 has more interesting concepts behind it than XIII did. As I see it, that doesn't mean creativity is impossible on a schedule. So yeah, they're just intending to make games more frequently like they used to.
    Last edited by Raype; 21st-November-2011 at 18:38.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raype For This Useful Post: