Thread: teaching mom how to use a computer-advise please on notebook and teaching

Thanks

Default teaching mom how to use a computer-advise please on notebook and teaching

So, my mother is 57 years old and has never in her life learned to use a computer-not how to turn one on even. She never needed to know for her career etc. Well, now she is disabled and I got her a notebook so she could enjoy netflix and other streaming tv as she couldn't afford a 200 dollar cable bill for all the types of things she likes to watch, and dvd enough to entertain for a month when watching shows is all you really do is just as ludicrous. So, I set her up with a 278 dollar asus notebook from wal-mart.So far, I have taught her how to turn on and off the notebook, and have set netflix as her internet home. I taught her how to browse for shows on it (though she still doesn't understand instant queue, she has made good progress on being able to navigate and find what she wants to watch on her own very well).

I know it sounds like rabbling but I have a point and a question which is this: She needs to be able to get the most from the internet that her notebook can handle-I am not familiar with notebooks so not really sure what the limits are-if someone could give me a brief overview on what can and cant be done on the cheap-end variety (ball park estimates are fine) it would help.

also, if anyone knows of a good free website or program that teaches people how to use a computer and the internet in a step by step or interactive manner I would be grateful. She cannot afford classes in town and i-and i'm being honest- have very little patience with teaching anyone. While I am happy to help explain things to her on a need to know basis, i find it very difficult and trying to get her to follow my instructions etc. She is willing and ready to learn, I just make a horrible teacher due to a lack of patience.

Please remember trying to teach your own folks about comps (or imagine what it was like, or what you may of gone through to learn them yourself), and take pity on a poor girl trying to teach her poor mom a new skill

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    EP Points

Its not really what you asked but if you Mum is wanting to watch tv shows and movies she could go here.

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/

I have found its amazing to watch EVERYTHING she could ever want. And its easy to navigate.

Hope it helps a bit

Thanks
    EP Points

I've been going through this with my Dad. Funny thing is, that even though I thought I knew quite a bit about computers, he's always confronting me with some strange problem or question that makes me want to tear my hair out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I've been going through this with my Dad. Funny thing is, that even though I thought I knew quite a bit about computers, he's always confronting me with some strange problem or question that makes me want to tear my hair out.
    Yes I've had this happen-i think it's done just remind me I am not as smart as I would like to believe lol, but it's also aggravating when you are also trying to convince hem that they canot destroy the computer or turn it into a bomb just by pushing the wrong keyboard button.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Yeah, I get quite a few questions like that from my folks
    I don't mind solving issues for them........but having to explain the possible reasons why things may go wrong, or why something works the way it does really tests my patience sometimes.

And to the OP: my mother only learnt to use computers in the last 6 years or so (she's 60) mainly because she went back to University......but she uses them for many things now.
    Initially she was convinced that it may be possible to push the wrong buttons and "blow up stuff".........but she also thought that about the LCD TV they have

Yeah, it's kinda annoying to deal with........but it gets easier.

Are you repeating yourself a fair bit?

I actually have a good laugh with Mum now about the way she was scared of PC's

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Repeating myself seems to be 90 percent of the daily lesson plan for her. *sigh* She does try hard, and I do try to use as simple terms and analogies (if the terms confuse her, even simplified) as possible. I know it gets harder to learn new things, especially technology, as we age. I have so far gotten her to understand that websites like netflix are sometimes down for repairs, and how to go to the alternative (for her, it is hulu) site for streaming tv and movies. We haven't even gotten tot he how to surf the rest of the net or what the search engines like google can be used for (everything is too complex a answer for her-frightened she'd end up in some dark recess of the net and have the computer spammed out of existence etc). So for now, its a daily struggle of remember the basic browser functions. how to use Esc to shrink the full screen movie, the refresh button if it gets stuck loading, how to look at the movies and tv shows. I am hoping to move on to the online store catalogs this week (jcpenny etc) as its a real world store and product she knows just taken to the digital format. Wish me luck...or give me a cig and a blindfold and shoot me to put me out of my misery. One way or the other. lol

Thanks

The best way i can think of to teach someone how to use a computer is to stick them in front of some old heap that it doesnt matter if they break it, thats how i learn t