Thread: Running Elder Scrolls Daggerfall under Dosbox problems...

Thanks

Default Running Elder Scrolls Daggerfall under Dosbox problems...

First I want to say, hi all! I most likely won't be on these forums regularly as I'm just looking for help atm. Anyway, I'm running OS X 10.5 Leopard on my Apple iBook G4 1.33 GHz 1.25 GB RAM and I have had a problem while running ES: Arena and Daggerfall under DOSBox, which is that these games run extremely slow. Other games, not so much, but these games seem to have a different problem than other games I run under DOSBox. I have the cycles cranked to max, and I have been loading them properly, so that isn't the problem. Are my specs too low to handle these games? It seems kind of silly that a computer 10 years older than the game it's trying to run would be this much of a problem, so I'm not really sure. Any help?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Your computer is 10 years older than Daggerfall?

Edit: Found info about someone with similar issue:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/General_tal...s_under_DOSBox

Daggerfall runing way too slow (Mac OS X)

I've installed daggerfall on my old ibook using boxer except when i play it, it plays way too slow. I've put the CPU cycles to max using the cmd up thing and tried putting the frameskip all the way up and down but still to no avail. Do you thinks it's my computer or should i try editing the .conf file? Also all my other DOS games run very slowly, running Mac OS 10.5 Leopard encase that helps. Thanks
    Most likely you will need more RAM, as even though this game is old, a sufficient amount of RAM is required for Daggerfall to run at a normal speed.
    Other probs from Mac users are also on that page.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 20th-November-2011 at 08:30.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I meant newer . By the way, I frequent that Wiki and the Forums so most likely any links to that site won't be very helpful, since I've probably already seen them. Any other answers would be great!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by FrostMage79x View Post
    I meant newer . By the way, I frequent that Wiki and the Forums so most likely any links to that site won't be very helpful, since I've probably already seen them. Any other answers would be great!
    So you've verified with another Mac user that 1.25GB of RAM and your current OS isn't the issue?

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

To be honest, I haven't verified those facts, but just from my personal experience with Mac computers I doubt that the operating system would be the problem, especially on OS X, and the RAM is 1000x more than was expected in those days. I feel like I'm not giving DOSBox enough RAM, but I've tried that and it doesn't really speed it up.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DosBox is not the only x86 emulator around Oracle VM VirtualBox could be worth a try aswell, that lets you install anything from Dos to Windows 7, or Linux is ever required within your OS

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/se...iew/index.html

Can't say I have attempoted to run any games in it but I have used it for other software that is not compatible with my current OS that is Windows 7

The Above have Windows Ports, Linux Ports, OS X ports & Solaris Ports

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Yes, the PC is too old to run those era games on DOSBox at fullspeed. You're going to need at least a dual-core processor PC, with a DirectX 9 compatible graphics card to play those games at your native desktop resolution. As it is, you could try upping the cycles, frameskip, and playing it at the game's original resolutions (320x200?, 320x240?).

Contrary to popular belief emulating the core essentials of DOS is no easy task. That and DOSBox has become extremely bloated. If you run Linux, and can setup OSS as your sound system, DOSEMU should run quite a bit faster. Another option would to be running them through actual DOS. But as these games relied on the timing of the PCs of the era, they didn't have the built in timing function to run properly on anything faster than say a 400MHz intel/athlon processor. A really old school PC, or new PC, is what you need.

BTW - Read this.