Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How the Video Game Industry Is Faring (news article & Comment)

Thanks
    EP Points

Dont ya just hate it when people argue which console is better?

You both have good points but REALLY.

360 and PS3 both have their good and bad points, but is it really worth an argument.

THEY ARE BOTH CRAP.

WII RULES

Joke.

But seriously you like what you like. I have a 360 and wii and love em both, i also play Onlive which is good way to play IMO. And im sick of the whole. "My consoles better than yours, waaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaa" Throws dummy outta pram.

Thanks

Japan counts as a country? lmao-just kidding of course, i fully respect Japan.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...413781218.html

6 of the top ten game releases under 360's belt etc. also: http://n4g.com/news/512689/microsoft...360-units-sold

So profits for 360 are up as of october. also, 40.2 million units sold.

Whereas ps3: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/hardware...osses-for-sony
    I did not bother looking up the ps3 units sold as I am well aware the 360 has been on the market longer.I Only use it to show that is is a global figure, that it has and does sell around the world to this day, even though it classifies as a mature system (ie, on the way out for newer shinier tech).

So i repeat my question: If it is such a great console system: Why are they still losing money and not making the sales? (I know the earthquake is partly to blame-but they were bleeding out long before that hit).

Thanks
    EP Points

Really this is going WAYYYYYYYYYYY off topic,

More of a FIGHT CLUB

Thanks

I love the wii for the fun cartoony games, but still return to the older ps2 system or the 360 for the more mature games. i dunno why, just plays better for me (i'm too old to grasp the movement sensitive controller in all but the most basic way lmao)

atcually my links are relevent-stating sales and numbers. but i agree with you and tried to get the point across by saying (repeatedly) that i am glad he likes his ps3, that i just do not prefer it. then i got insulted. repeatedly. for saying so. Nivce from a moderator, aye? lmao
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 21st-November-2011 at 19:35.

Thanks
    EP Points

My ps2 is my FAV. I have over 250 games for it and play regular. For me it will always be the best console ever.

But i will never buy a PS3, there is nothing wrong with it just dont intrest me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darklinky View Post
    My ps2 is my FAV. I have over 250 games for it and play regular. For me it will always be the best console ever.
    I agree. LOVED the ps2. Still do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

jackalsgroove, please, don't double post, use the EDIT button.

And what's the point of this thread? are you really trying to convince someone that this or that console is better than the rest and if they don't agree with you you'll argue till you convince them? Cos if that's the case, this thread won't last too much, it stinks to console wars thread to me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jackalsgroove View Post
    ... with the only real added bonus for my play style being a blue ray player-which i also dont get the hype on. i honestly see very little difference save for much older movies that have been remastered specifically for re-release on blue ray.Not to mention-why buy a dvd player at all? everything is going digital. projections say all dvd formats dead by 2016 (2020 latest, according to news articles. again-i do not decide this, just what i've read. how true it may be depends how the future plays out. i am not a oracle).

PS: Yes i am aware of there being more room on a blue ray disc etc. but again-if everything goes digital, and i can download content from that system-why bother adding this and skyrocketing its original release price well beyond what most were willing to pay? hence its terrible sales and the rapid price drops.
    I'm going to ignore the rest of this crapshoot thread and just focus on this aspect:

Bandwidth.

That is all.

While digital distribution is definitely skyrocketing, the problem will eventually come down to bandwidth. With the vast majority of ISPs having pretty low bandwidth caps on their services (up until yesterday, when I just upgraded, I had a limit of 125GBs/month), digital distribution won't become the norm until it's accessible to everyone. Also, with picture quality getting much better, and the vast majority of people (at least that I know, and I would assume that this is true for at least a good chunk of North America) owning 40" or larger televisions, substandard picture quality is very apparent, and for a lot of people makes a show unwatchable.

Now, 125GBs sounds like a lot in theory (and I have no idea how large/small other plans are in other countries, because I can't be arsed to look), but considering Netflix currently requires approximately 4GBs for a two hour HD movie, that's a hell of a lot of bandwidth. Especially for households with more than one person using the streaming service. And that's just to get similar quality as a BluRay DVD. It still won't look quite as good, and there are people out there who are particular about how clean and crisp their movies are.

Let's say you don't care about HD, and just stream SD movies. Sure, that knocks it down to about 1GB for a movie of the same length (probably a little bit less, in the 800MBs range). You can get a lot of movies into 125GBs when each movie is just 800MBs. Well, yeah, if that's all you're using your Internet for. In a household with four people -- two adults and two children, say -- then odds are the adults will have their system and the children will have theirs. Otherwise, everyone would be fighting over the TV. So now you've got two different people likely streaming movies at different intervals, so it becomes more realistic to watch that 150+ hours of Netflix. Especially for people that just put it on as background noise and don't even think about it.

That also doesn't take into account your regular Internet use. Youtube videos and whatnot add up, especially if you've got two kids in the house. And chances are if either of those kids is over the age of 12, they're probably downloading movies and games and whatnot as well. There goes a shit-ton more bandwidth.

Then, take someone like myself, who has a PS3. I recently just grabbed a few games off PSN. Nothing insane -- two retail titles and two PSN titles. I don't know exactly how large the entire download was, but it was probably in the neighbourhood of 8GBs (ME2 was just shy of 4, I think, and I want to say Crysis was in the high-2 to low-3 range, and Outland and Beyond Good & Evil were at least a GB each, and Ratchet & Clank was just over a GB)... on my previous plan, just those five games, downloaded via digital distrubtion, accounted for just shy of 10% of my monthly download allowance.

So yeah, I totally understand why some people would still want to use their BluRay players. Especially once they start getting high with extra charges for going over their limits. Or start having their accounts terminated because they went over their limit more than once per year, like Comcast does. It would only take having my account terminated once to send me back to renting movies.

Thanks

all i have to say is that with the state of video games now a days i hope there wont be a video game crash like the one in 1983 and 1984