Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How the Video Game Industry Is Faring (news article & Comment)

Thanks

Default How the Video Game Industry Is Faring (news article & Comment)

http://news.yahoo.com/video-games-in...205534592.html

Some of the losses previously reported that seem close to astronomical numbers to us are apparently not a big deal to the mains tream console makers. Take-Two Interactive software Co. Seems to have the worst status, with a loss of more than half its revenue stream. So, while the big bad news on console's is still not pretty, this helps put it in perspective as to how those companies are actually faring as a whole.

Thanks

On top of this, There's news going around that a first party sony Dev and Ubisoft have next gen Target Boxes, so I'm wondering what's going to happen if we really go through with another generation of consoles. Game development is a very expensive process, with some companies citing costs of 60 to 120 million.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't actually see better/more realistic graphics, but just a jump in things like filtering, and AA.
    We might be seeing more things like this, with companies losing more and more profit from development, I can't speak from an industry perspective obviously, but I'd imagine smaller companies that aim to sell their product at retail are either going to get absorbed by big publishers or die entirely.

Either that or Sony/Nintendo could open up development and we might be seeing more low-budget/high content games again. It's not a very realistic perspective, and probably even a less likely one with Microsoft, but it could work as a jump-start in the future.

E: You know what would be really nice? If we stopped upscaling low resolution graphics. I realize that a single uncompressed 1920x1080 frame is about 16mb, so I definitely hope to see a huge increase in video memory for consoles.
    E2: Also Take Two, which I now realize as was stated in the article, is hurting this year because their only major release was L.A. Noir, and while it sold a ton it still doesn't match release sales for RDR and GTA.
    THQ was probably expecting a decent gain since Darksiders came out, Darksiders 2 was announced, and SR3 was a huge release this year. It's wildly popular and it's coming out before the major holiday buying period, so I'm betting they'll see an even larger gain before Q1 begins again.
    Last edited by Azruelli; 20th-November-2011 at 16:40.

Thanks

I Completely agree with you on Take-Two. The should of realized that a backing only one major release was going to cause issues, given they do not have the prestige that for example Enix and specifically the final fantasy series does.

I would also like to see more memory and better overall console performance. Graphic upgrades are nice, but I refuse to pay for a console that is more gimick than function (ie, paying 600 bucks for a brand new ps3 when they came out to get what is basically a graphics improved ps2 with a blue ray player attached-i still have not bought one due to its price, though I may soon as the price is dropping again for the holiday season). I would also LOVE to see another new console that is backwards compatible. I hate having to keep three different versions of a console to be able to play the games on them. I can see not have cartridge game systems compatible-but anything with a cd/dvd etc disc should be able to be this way.

As for THQ they are a more target audience specific. They do not flood the market with games, but these they do have a hand in are often not for the general masses. Civilization 4 is a good example of this. They will never compete with the "big boy" companies like EA that have a hand in a number of genres, but they may well outlast a lot fo the bigger competitors due to a much more loyal fan base.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This site is part of the problem.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Azruelli View Post
    E: You know what would be really nice? If we stopped upscaling low resolution graphics. I realize that a single uncompressed 1920x1080 frame is about 16mb, so I definitely hope to see a huge increase in video memory for consoles.
    There are plenty of compression methods that don't result in reduced quality and wasted memory.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    This site is part of the problem.
    no it aint, sites like this are great for seeing if a game is total crap or not, I actually buy the games i love

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    no it aint, sites like this are great for seeing if a game is total crap or not, I actually buy the games i love

I was joking in that post yet being serious as well. For every one of you there are 10 people that only emulate.

Thanks

actually i am backwards-i emulate only the games i bought years ago, and are either too damaged or MIA to play on my systems. so hehe

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jackalsgroove View Post
    (ie, paying 600 bucks for a brand new ps3 when they came out to get what is basically a graphics improved ps2 with a blue ray player attached-i still have not bought one due to its price, though I may soon as the price is dropping again for the holiday season)
    Yes, that's all it is. It's not a sony system with a competent multiplayer gaming service. Nor an online content provider. Nor a web browser. Nor an excellent multimedia player that connects with a shitload of stuff. Nor (previously) a working linux computer.

(there was a huge functionality improvement on this gen compared to fifth to sixth. Just take my word for it)

I would also LOVE to see another new console that is backwards compatible.
    All current gen systems are backwards compatible.

The PS3 is the only one with a limited BC, but hey, if you spent the 600 on release (or 300 about a year or two later) you'd have that too. So there's that.

Thanks

IF I wanted a web browser, content provider, multimedia player-wait, thats right-i own a pc already. Just saying.

Also-for those who love their ps3s-thats fine with me. just for me personally, i would not put out that kind of money for a blue ray player that has no where near the games or online player base that say the 360 has, that already has a great deal of the bugs worked out of it after the big red ring of doom fiasco. Not all of course, but then perfection is rare in any form. I would rather pay 150 to 300 for a 360, that has the multiplayer base, games, etc than buying a 600 ps3 for basically the same thing, with the only real added bonus for my play style being a blue ray player-which i also dont get the hype on. i honestly see very little difference save for much older movies that have been remastered specifically for re-release on blue ray.Not to mention-why buy a dvd player at all? everything is going digital. projections say all dvd formats dead by 2016 (2020 latest, according to news articles. again-i do not decide this, just what i've read. how true it may be depends how the future plays out. i am not a oracle).

PS: Yes i am aware of there being more room on a blue ray disc etc. but again-if everything goes digital, and i can download content from that system-why bother adding this and skyrocketing its original release price well beyond what most were willing to pay? hence its terrible sales and the rapid price drops.
    Last edited by jackalsgroove; 21st-November-2011 at 18:49.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks

Yes very cool-for a extra 50 bucks you get 90 gigabytes more. Thanks for proving my point ^^ lmao you get more with the 360. sorry to you and your club

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes very cool-for a extra 50 bucks you get 90 gigabytes more. Thanks for proving my point ^^ lmao you get more with the 360. sorry to you and your club
    Figured this would happen, since trying to pound logic into an XKid is like trying to teach a monkey to do gymnastics, so check the spoiler.

Your mind shall henceforth be blown.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Raype For This Useful Post:

Thanks

ah yes they did announce a price drop for the holiday season. i am not surprised int he least actually. Either way-i prefer the 360. better gamer base, better game selection, it actually supports indy game developers. I also prefer the fact you can also buy xbox original games through their market as opposed to just the 360 games (for those that are compatible-like i said, no system is perfect). I wouldn't brag just yet. Microsoft always has the better holiday specials. The fact ps3 has put it out so soon shows the desperation. If you would like a back up of that:

http://www.gamedynamo.com/article/sh..._for_Sony_Corp

I am glad you enjoy your ps3.My question to then becomes if it is such the great system you propose it to be-why the terrible sales?

Also-do you insult everyone who happens to disagree with your own personal opinions, or am I just the exception? Ah well.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

ah yes they did announce a price drop for the holiday season. i am not surprised int he least actually. Either way-i prefer the 360. better gamer base, better game selection, it actually supports indy game developers. I also prefer the fact you can also buy xbox original games through their market as opposed to just the 360 games (for those that are compatible-like i said, no system is perfect). I wouldn't brag just yet. Microsoft always has the better holiday specials. The fact ps3 has put it out so soon shows the desperation. If you would like a back up of that:

http://www.gamedynamo.com/article/sh..._for_Sony_Corp

I am glad you enjoy your ps3.My question to then becomes if it is such the great system you propose it to be-why the terrible sales?

Also-do you insult everyone who happens to disagree with your own personal opinions, or am I just the exception? Ah well.
    If the 360 is such a good system, why did it sell so poorly in japan that no one even sells it anymore?

Check and mate.