Thread: FRUSTRATOMETER IS STUCK AT MAX (issues with original game boy/N64)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default FRUSTRATOMETER IS STUCK AT MAX (issues with original game boy/N64)

Sup lovely people?
    Here's me again, asking, as always, questions with likely simple answers.

Some of you (I hope) may remember the thread I made the day I found and bought a new N64 as if it were 1999.
    I had intentions of playing (yes, go ahead, laugh) Pokemon Stadium 2.

I found a Transfer Pak in its' original packaging.
    I found the cartridge of Stadium 2.
    I also found the Game Boy game.

Over a period of about two months, I got all I needed.
    Ten minutes ago, I put the whole thing together, turned it on and...!

GAME PAK NOT RECOGNIZED

...WHAT THE /)%" DO YOU MEAN THIS YOU CAN'T *^´) PLAY THIS "·=$("·?!

I went to the GB tower (built in emulator, AFAIK) and...

TURN YOUR N64 OFF, CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS etc.

God*******, waited 10 years, spent a bucket of money, and it doesn't work...

So, do any of you guys know what may be the problem? I have heard of battery issues on Game Boy games, but that shouldn't stop me from being able to play the game anyway... right?

Censoring because I'd put up a wall of ragetext.

Also share your rage about issues with games, if you want to.
    Last edited by The Almighty MegaMan; 13th-November-2011 at 04:52.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks
    EP Points

If the battery has indeed gone in the GB game then there is no power (obviously) but would that stop it if its plugged into the cart? Would the n64 supply power to your GB cart? Probably not IMO.

Does the Actual N64 game work ok?

All these questions and more will be answered when we return. lol

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darklinky View Post
    If the battery has indeed gone in the GB game then there is no power (obviously) but would that stop it if its plugged into the cart? Would the n64 supply power to your GB cart? Probably not IMO.

Does the Actual N64 game work ok?

All these questions and more will be answered when we return. lol
    Yes, the N64 game works very well.
    Point is, I never owned a Game Boy, so I can't even try the game there.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

POW POW!

Thanks

Hmmmm....odd. Have you cleaned all of the contacts very well? (Games, console, etc.) I have collected for many, many years, and in my experience, its VERY hard to "kill" cartridge media. (Hell, as kids we found an Atari 2600 game, 'BattleZone', frozen in the ground one winter. Brought it in, cleaned it up, and the bastard PLAYED!)

As far as not having a GB to test the game on, they are readily available. I have a drawer full of GBs, GBCs, and GBAs.

I'm curious about something: How did it take you so long to acquire those three components? N64 decks are a dime a dozen, and so far as I know, neither that 'Transfer' device nor the Stadium game are what you would call 'rarities' by ANY stretch. Just curious...

Best of luck!

EDIT: Just checked E-Bay, and it looks like you can easily grab the Transfer thing, an N64, and that Poke game for less than $50, shipped.....
    Also, in regards to the Transfer thing, I had the SNES Super GameBoy in mind for some reason, which is also crazy cheap. As to that N64 version, I have several of those in a box; I always thought that they were some type of funky memory cards! heh...
    Last edited by GradyWilson; 15th-November-2011 at 13:37.

Supreme Warrior Guest

I just remembered you can play the GB pokemon games emulated and use your saves in PS 2 in PJ64, i tried it and it does indeed work, alot less hassle too

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GradyWilson View Post
    I'm curious about something: How did it take you so long to acquire those three components? N64 decks are a dime a dozen, and so far as I know, neither that 'Transfer' device nor the Stadium game are what you would call 'rarities' by ANY stretch. Just curious...

EDIT: Just checked E-Bay, and it looks like you can easily grab the Transfer thing, an N64, and that Poke game for less than $50, shipped.....
    Oh, you don't know me, do you?
    I'm seriously considering adding I DON'T LIVE IN THE US NOR EUROPE in red somewhere in my sig.
    Yes, there's more to the world than that, you know?
    Okay, I shall douse your curiosity with a bucket of ice.

I live in Argentina, I couldn't be further even if I tried to. Well, unless I moved to Tuvalu I guess...
    Here videogames' prices are basically an eye and a a leg each. So, I'm an amputee
    I did get most of the stuff cheap this one time, considering the console and transfer pak were new. Let's see... the whole thing costed me um... $675 (approx. 180 U$D.)
    Yes, that is VERY cheap for our standards, I'm sadly not joking. A vainilla 3DS, for example, costs $1700 (390 U$D)

I am also a mindreader. "Why don't you import?"
    Put it simply, I can't.
    The price difference is all made up of taxes our government forces us to pay, plus, it's easier to buy anything in person rather than having it shipped 10000 Km.
    Could it be any better?!
    YES!!
    Consoles are importation-banned by LAW. You can only buy them off the manufacturer (and businesses that don't respect every rule there is).

Even if I could, I have no credit card, and nobody lets me borrow theirs because Paypal is the devil.

/deranged

*Sigh* hey guys is there somewhere other than my sig where I could copy and paste this? I'm seriously getting tired of explaining it in every single thread I visit/open....

I'm sorry, I just go apeshit whenever someone comes through all cool saying "bro what are you mad about this is SO easy!", assuming I live in the US/Europe, and does not know all the crap us Argentineans have to sit through.
    It's my BERSERK BUTTON.

I think it should also explain quite well why am I so frustrated...
    Now you understand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    I just remembered you can play the GB pokemon games emulated and use your saves in PS 2 in PJ64, i tried it and it does indeed work, alot less hassle too
    I know... I'm just frustrated about having spent quite a bit of money and time to get all this shit together just so that I could play it on real hardware
    Last edited by The Almighty MegaMan; 17th-November-2011 at 14:42. Reason: Toned down the rage and explained it
    Also known as Rockman

POW POW!

Thanks

it could be that the battery in the gb cart has died out which would mean no save date is on it which causes a lot of problems when trying to paly it sometimes you would have to get a gameboy and try it out to know for sure which yes i read is hard for you to get just saying that is best option so ask if any of your friends or relatives have one and see and yeah i know what you mean i spent some time hunting for games only to have them turn into duds like that gets to be a pain but if it is the battery you just have to replace it common watch battery if i remember correctly just need a special screw driver to pop it open don't remeber which type been some time since i had a actual gameboy cart gave all mine to my dad to take on business trips. so good luck to you my friend

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fattyotaku For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't think that the GB cart can be powered by the N64, I remember the rumble pak and some of the other peripherals needing batteries, so chances are the battery is dead.

but I could be wrong..

Thanks
    EP Points

Guys, the battery in a Gameboy cartridge is to store gamesaves on that's it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Guys, the battery in a Gameboy cartridge is to store gamesaves on that's it.
    Sure thing, however...
    That's my question. In tl;dr. Battery dead. Can game still work?

I don't think it'd be that much of a hassle to get someone to replace the battery (I can't solder well). At least not as much as getting the game...
    Also known as Rockman

POW POW!

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes the game will work without a battery, it just won't save. Like, it'll save, but as soon as you turn off the Gameboy your save data will disappear.

Your problem is probably down to dirty contacts. Get a cotton bud (Q-tip) and rub it along the contacts on the GB cart and the transfer pak. Make sure both are clean.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes the game will work without a battery, it just won't save. Like, it'll save, but as soon as you turn off the Gameboy your save data will disappear.

Your problem is probably down to dirty contacts. Get a cotton bud (Q-tip) and rub it along the contacts on the GB cart and the transfer pak. Make sure both are clean.
    I was going to say the same thing. The battery in GB/GBC games are only for the save function. All Nintendo handheld games are region free, so that leaves:
    a) the game is dirty
    b) the game doesn't work

The easier of the 2 to fix/figure out is to clean the game. If that doesn't work, I'm sorry to tell you that you might have to buy another copy.

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by battousai11 View Post
    a) the game is dirty

My exact problem with Pokemon Red. For a while, I naively thought I screwed it up from in-game cheating too much.