Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-Encompassing Skyrim Thread! (Here there be dragons)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default The All-Encompassing Skyrim Thread! (Here there be dragons)

The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Feature.jpg

So...The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is here. Is Bethesda's breed of RPG your cup of Morrowind tea? Or is it so open-ended and easy to get lost in that you find it boring? Has anyone picked up the new game and if so, whattaya think? Prefer one of the older entries in the series? Let it be heard. Skyrim it up. Personally I don't understand some of the hate Oblivion got as I found it enjoyable, if not quite as great as its predecessor. What say you?

Thanks
    EP Points

Picked up Skyrim this morning. Haven't slept yet, there will be plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

In before nonstop comments about how Bethesda games are buggy. I spent a lot more time on Morrowind but, Oblivion was still a decent game. I'm curious to see how Skyrim shapes up; the previews videos I've seen were interesting.
    Spoiler warning:
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 11th-November-2011 at 17:46.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

I really enjoyed oblivion, i think that is was just as good as morrowwind if not a teeny bit better. Graphics did make a diff for me and i still play oblivion now occasonally.

Thanks

Picked up the PC version, been playing for a few hours.

I have to say I'm simply DISGUSTED by the PC version on the technical backend.

I remember reading that the consoles were the lead platform, but this is vile. The eperformance is adequate enough, but some things really piss me off.

It is so so obvious they did jackshit optimizing the controls for PC, the clunky menus, eg the character creation screen, if I want to select an option from a list with a mouse, I want it to be able to go straight to it, not being forced to go throught it one by one like oh say, a control scheme from an analogue stick.

The bindings, they can be changed, but there is a flaw, it's best to describe this with an example, I changed "activate" to MB3, on the surface this works fine, but try picking up a book, to "take" the book to your inventory, the game only prompts the default bindings (E), but pressing both the original binding or the new binding doesn't work, forcing you to be stuck on the original bindings.

The inventory, HUD sucks, Morrowind is light years ahead.

The mouse lag, smoothing and acceleration, super obvious on the Local Map screen. The cursor Y-axis I read, is somehow tied to your FPS, and it's still disproportionate to the X-axis.

Other than those, the game is not too bad, the mainstreaming of features like attributes sort of works, and for better or worse, alchemy is no longer an easy ticket to breaking the game.

The new graphics is decent enough, but boy, these textueres can be so muddy and generic at times

I expected much more from Bethesda, frankly, this is a big middle finger to the PC community.

-EDIT- I forgot to add the default FOV is also set low, because of the consoles, with no simple option to adjust it on PC
    Last edited by Heiji1412; 11th-November-2011 at 17:43.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darklinky View Post
    I really enjoyed oblivion, i think that is was just as good as morrowwind if not a teeny bit better. Graphics did make a diff for me and i still play oblivion now occasonally.
    If I was going to play one or the other right now it would be Morrowind. Graphics really don't mean anything to me though.

Quote Originally Posted by heiji
    this is a big middle finger to the PC community.
    No1cares unfortunately.

Your whole post is troublesome considering I'll be getting the PC version. :/

Thanks

Haven't played it myself yet, but ive seen my brother play it and it looked like theyre would be some things that are defiantly gonna bug me, like the menu and the loading screens for a couple. but there are also some great moments i look forward to, with the dragons being my favorite thing so far

EDIT: ive played it myself now and its amazing. not the best game ever but defiantly a must play imo, the amount of content and replay value is unbelieveable.
    Last edited by Jakethegreat12; 14th-November-2011 at 17:42.
    Persona is so beast...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    If I was going to play one or the other right now it would be Morrowind. Graphics really don't mean anything to me though.

No1cares unfortunately.

Your whole post is troublesome considering I'll be getting the PC version. :/
    Yeah, it sucks and it's just the way it is. Really really sad because in the past TES really belongs to the PC.

Well, I'm hoping they will fix it in a patch, and I remain optimistic because of the modding community. I have to say, I only complain because fixing those things will really make the game that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethegreat12 View Post
    Haven't played it myself yet, but ive seen my brother play it and it looked like theyre would be some things that are defiantly gonna bug me, like the menu and the loading screens for a couple. but there are also some great moments i look forward to, with the dragons being my favorite thing so far
    The loading times are not an issue with the PC version, and I'm playing the game of a regular conventional HDD. I did hear the leaked console versions were beta versions, maybe they fixed it by retail time.

Thanks
    EP Points

they already have a handful of mods up on the skyrimnexus.com, so if there's something you don't like there may already be a mod for it.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks

No good FOV fix yet, using the console to change it makes casting spells, and shooting arrows, not to mention normal attacking animations dodgy, and changing any other option in-game reverts the FOV back.

Wonderful, simply wonderful.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
    they already have a handful of mods up on the skyrimnexus.com, so if there's something you don't like there may already be a mod for it.
    Soon they'll introduce Fallout 3 weapons on Skyrim.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks
    EP Points

oblivion's ok imo, still play it sometimes but i thinks its more for any mods i find that i consider pretty good nowadays though. saw a trailer for skyrim the other day and i'm hoping to have the xbox360 version for christmas (not sure if my laptop could handle it as oblivion is sluggish in some parts like when its raining ingame), really looking foward to seeing how the improved AI and other stuff works out. also glad to see the change they made to talking to NPCs, no more "zoom to they're face" to talk, looks more realistic this way imo

edit: just remebered one of the best parts to the new AI, if its not going to be scripted then maybe we can get enemies who know how to really fight and use actual thought in the fighting thinking AI = challenging enemies, well depending on how intelligent said AI is but still.
    Last edited by treos; 12th-November-2011 at 17:35.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

My two cents:

Oblivion gets too much hate but I can understand why. It lacked the unique atmosphere and setting that Morrowind had. They threw in too many medieval game cliches for a lot of TES fan's liking. Also the Oblivion gate levels were repetitive and not that great. Otherwise, I got sucked into Oblivion just as much as I did with Morrowind and loved the Brotherhood quests!

Now, playing Skyrim, I feel like they tried their best to combine the great things about both games. The setting of Skyrim is a character in and of itself. Sets a great atmosphere right away. Dragons are a crowd-pleasing and cool feature and obviously play heavily into the main storyline, though I haven't finished it yet. Shouts are a really cool addition in my opinion, as is the voice of Max Von Sydow to give the game credibility boost. That guy's voice will make you believe that shouts are real. So yeah, so far I'm loving it. There's glitches. But it's a huge game. Plus it's a Bethesda game. To be expected. Nothing that ruins the fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

This thread needs videos of bugs posted. After all, it's by far the best part of the Bethesda games
    I'm sure Skyrim is no exception and is full of funny bugs, the thread won't be complete without them

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Beast View Post
    This thread needs videos of bugs posted. After all, it's by far the best part of the Bethesda games
    I'm sure Skyrim is no exception and is full of funny bugs, the thread won't be complete without them
    As you wish.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gare For This Useful Post: