Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Infinity Ward Recycles Buildings on MW3 Straight From Cod4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vibhor View Post
    You know that they are using a heavily modified Quake 2 engine?
    That game was released somewhere near 1999. Thats how old the shit is. You don't necessary need to re invent the wheel but you do need to replace it from time to time.
    At least it's been retooled for modern graphics, like you said it's been heavily modified. Look at the Source engine, the engine behind Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3 and New Vegas. The engine from Halo Reach is from 2001, but it's been retooled so much that doesn't matter anymore. Great engines carry great games, their age is a testament of their great capacity and flexibility (as long as they're given new tools to work with). I'm not a CoD zealot, wouldn't even have cared for MW3 if my friend didn't force me to play MW1 and my natural gaming instincts is to follow a story until it's finished, but really there's no sense is bashing a game for such silly reasons as reused engines and graphical resources! It almost makes me think the game is a classic gold if that's all people have bad to say about it, but luckily for me I know better and if I had played CoD from the first issue and played more military shooters in the past I'd be sick of them to and want to see them gone by being taken to it's own execution and force to shoot itself or die slowly by having it's feet lowed into a grinder and either be turned to dog food that it's family will be forced to watch or slowly die from the trauma, but all I'm saying is let's think of better reasons to hate. Not every game needs to look like Battlefield 3 (imagine how sad people with low end system [like me] would feel ).
    Last edited by Searyan; 14th-November-2011 at 11:11.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It happens in more games than you expect to recycle some assets to get the development times money worth outta it

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Vibhor View Post
    You know that they are using a heavily modified Quake 2 engine?
    That game was released somewhere near 1999. Thats how old the shit is. You don't necessary need to re invent the wheel but you do need to replace it from time to time.
    No, I didn't, and that's also good for them. I do stand by what I said; 1999 isn't that long ago, even in computing terms, especially since they're using the IW engine, not the Quake 2 engine. Besides, IW's closest relation in the Quake series is Quake 3, not Quake 2, which makes your statement only accurate in a very misleading manner. At this point, IW bears about as much relation to Quake 2 (or 3, even) as I bear to a single one of my great-grandparents, which is to say, only a fraction.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    No, I didn't, and that's also good for them. I do stand by what I said; 1999 isn't that long ago, even in computing terms, especially since they're using the IW engine, not the Quake 2 engine. Besides, IW's closest relation in the Quake series is Quake 3, not Quake 2, which makes your statement only accurate in a very misleading manner. At this point, IW bears about as much relation to Quake 2 (or 3, even) as I bear to a single one of my great-grandparents, which is to say, only a fraction.
    There have been some significant leaps since 1999, at least in the consumer market.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    There have been some significant leaps since 1999, at least in the consumer market.
    And a lot of them presumably have been accounted for in the five redesigns of the engine since then (MW, a variant of IW 4.0).

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    And a lot of them presumably have been accounted for in the five redesigns of the engine since then (MW, a variant of IW 4.0).
    Of course. If a company didn't account for hardware advances they would surely get blasted in reviews.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks

CoD is a trend\fad.And just like any fad it will eventually fade away.anyone else remember tony hawk's pro skater? how about guitar hero?activision has shown they know how to f*** up a franchise,by over releasing it,and people will eventually get tired of it.

I am kind of disappointed that the gaming community in general is so content with mediocrity.And if CoD is anything,it is "average".What makes it stand out,even in its own genre? The SP campaign? all 4 hours of it? or the cheater filled MP aspect? Oh well,they havent gotten any of my money since WaW,and they wont be getting any in the future.What also puzzles me is that with so many excellent games recently released,(Skyrim,Ultimate MvsC3,Batman AC,Dark Souls,Super Mario 3d land,Skyward Sword) that gamers would want to limit themselves to such a linear,automatic game.What I mean by automatic is that FPS players look like machines when playing.Doing the same motions over and over,they might as well just put the game on rails.No critical thinking involved,no improvising,just the same players camping in the same parts of the recycled maps,picking off other players as they walk by.

Then we have the cheaters,which really makes me wonder why? Why cheat in online games? whats the point? you cant possibly feel any sense of accomplishment because you know you cheated and most likely could not do what you did w\o cheating.Anyways,happy gaming to all!

Thanks

It's times like these I'm glad that I own a good number of classic titles. They always cheer me up when modern games seem dull.

Thanks

Let's be fair:

IW have been recycling the same damn gameplay since Cod1 back in 2000/2001 - so it's hardly surprising they'd recycle the visuals.

Oh, and for those of you who didn't play COD before MW came out - You may be interested to know that half of the COD4 maps are just visual revamps of old maps from the earlier games (e.g Chinatown -> Carentan (which appeared in COD1/2)

Quote Originally Posted by Searyan View Post
    At least it's been retooled for modern graphics, like you said it's been heavily modified. Look at the Source engine, the engine behind Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3 and New Vegas. .
    Sorry, i have to point out that these games are NOT powered by Source. They use the crappy Gamebryo engine.

and..

The "IW" engine used in modern COD games is actually based on the Quake III (not Quake II) - The original COD was powered by a pretty much untouched version of the Q3 engine, for those interested
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 22nd-November-2011 at 15:52. Reason: don't double post, EDIT your posts!

Thanks

Then we have the cheaters,which really makes me wonder why? Why cheat in online games? whats the point? you cant possibly feel any sense of accomplishment because you know you cheated and most likely could not do what you did w\o cheating.Anyways,happy gaming to all!
    Because they'r trolls why else.

Rehashed buildings ...same engine ...meh I only care about multiplayer I didn't even buy it I borrowed from my cousin XD .
    Last edited by Tsukasa01; 23rd-November-2011 at 01:43.

Let your cosmo burn bright!

Thanks

Same setting, same fucking generation. It's lazy, yeah, but it makes sense. I think the problem's more with oversaturation of the series (and genre, etc.) than anything else.
    CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL I'M SO WAAAAACCKYYYYYYY

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Normally I'd take any moment to make some fun with CoD and Activision's practices, but not here. They release these games yearly, mainly to update multiplayer, the big draw. Recycling textures isn't that big a deal.