Thread: Japanese game for Playstation 2

Thanks

Default Japanese game for Playstation 2

I was wondering if you could play Japanese games on a Playstation 2 that was sold in the United States.

Supreme Warrior Guest

sure can but you need either, Swap magic (Discs that Tricks the ps2 into loading a Copy or Different region disc) or FreeMcboot (it installs on a ps2 memory card), both are easily obtainable.

Thanks

I'm still new to Playstation 2 console. Do you need a usb cable to load FreeMcboot on to the memory card?

Supreme Warrior Guest

http://freemcboot.info/

there are various methods to install freemcboot onto your memory card, you cant just drag and drop.
    Like one method involves using Swap magic and you have the Freemcboot installation files onto a flash drive and the .elf gets loaded apon swap magic loading, it was very easy.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Another method is to post your PS2 memcard to one of our members that do this for you for the price of it being posted

FreeMCBoot will not let you play backups on it's own though you also require ESR to be installed

If you are wanting to play an original PS2 Jap game I'm sure you can't do that with ESR you will need another method to do that

But backups from any region will work with ESR providing they are on DVD format or can be converted from CD to DVD (harder than that sounds)

ESR will boot ESR patched DVD's only but it will boot them directly without having to change discs round
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-November-2011 at 10:20.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I'm playing an original japanese dvd. So, I can't use ESR, but what else on Freemcboot helps with this?

On a different topic, what's the difference between the slim model and the original shape?

Supreme Warrior Guest

the latest Slim model PS2s have the exploit removed from the hardware so you can not use free mcboot on them.

But you can still use swap magic, if just wish to run a real official imported disc you should get swap magic, here is where i got mine,

http://www.estarland.com/index.asp?p...&product=17111

Thanks

Ah, thanks for the links. You have been very helpful.

Is the latest model number for the slim types "scph-7000"? I'm trying to avoid the ones which may hinder freemcboot.
    Last edited by regnow; 7th-November-2011 at 06:21.

Thanks
    EP Points

Avoid SCPH-90001s if you want to use the FreeMcboot method. The 7000x slims should be fine. In fact, you can actually get away with a 90001 model, if you can get one with a certain date code, but it's easier to just avoid them altogether.

Thanks

Are the model number 30001 and 500001 okay?

Thanks
    EP Points

Should be, yes. The 90001s are the most recent, and it was during their production that they were modified in such a way that FMB no longer works.