Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo's creeping doom: how the company came to misplace $926 million

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Yes, but still not a failure.
    Considering that 6 millions were sold in Japan, I wouldn't say it was successful in the other regions, more the contrary.

Thanks
    EP Points

I bet Sony & Microsoft wish they could lose that much

Although, Nintendo only has themselves to blame. They have dropped Wii & DS support. The Wii has had nothing this whole year, up until Kirby & Zelda. Lets see how long it can sell if you are starving the console for a year! Then they go and over price 3DS which bit them in the ass. Then 3rd parties screw over the 3DS by putting out shitty ports, which the only good and really, only game, the 3DS had for months was SSF4. Then come August with a few new games, but nothing that is a must own, Nintendo drops the price & then it sells like hotcakes for a little bit. However, there is still nothing until November. I'm sure Nintendo will get back on their feet, but I hope they learned their lesson (probably not). I wonder if the same thing will happen to the Wiiu.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by unnoticedninja View Post
    Hopefully if Nintendo does fail, which I don't want to happen, they'll take the SEGA route and continuing to make Mario, Zelda, and everything else on other systems.
    most likely they would be bought by sony or microsoft and either become a second party or disolve into the company like clover and capcom

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    most likely they would be bought by sony or microsoft and either become a second party or disolve into the company like clover and capcom

I remember reading this article about Nintendo in some game magazine (don't remember which one it was) and Iwata was being interviewed in it. He was asked something to the effect of what would happen if Nintendo stopped making consoles and handhelds. His response was very candid: he said that the day when Nintendo stops making consoles would be the day they exited the gaming industry altogether. I don't think they would put themselves in a position to be bought out. I do NOT want to see Nintendo fail and go the route of Sega, despite them pissing me the hell every now and then. I'd much rather for them bow out than to be bought by Sony, Microsoft, or God forbid, Apple.

Thanks
    EP Points

actually apple would be most likely since they supposedly offered to buy out nintendo some time ago, also just because he says HE would bow out they would still need to clear their debt, thus hey would need to sell the company, their exclusives (ie: zelda, mario etc...) to pay off the debt

Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Beast View Post
    Considering that 6 millions were sold in Japan, I wouldn't say it was successful in the other regions, more the contrary.
    It's only because we didn't get SEGATA SANSHIRO!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    It's only because we didn't get SEGATA SANSHIRO!
    Should've concentrated on building SunSeibu SGX units for the whole world instead

Seriously though; the Saturn was a needlessly complicated machine (at the time), it wasn't easy to develop games for, and was expensive to make...........management just aggravated those initial issues by making really stupid decisions.
    Even though the DC is an ok machine, the damage was already done to the business name.

It's always possible that Nintendo may eventually go the same way as Sega if enough mistakes are made, who knows?

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Man, I loved my Saturn. Had a Super NES before that, the graphics were awesome for the time. Dragon Force anyone?
    I want my Atari 5200 back!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Should've concentrated on building SunSeibu SGX units for the whole world instead

Seriously though; the Saturn was a needlessly complicated machine (at the time), it wasn't easy to develop games for, and was expensive to make...........management just aggravated those initial issues by making really stupid decisions.
    Even though the DC is an ok machine, the damage was already done to the business name.

It's always possible that Nintendo may eventually go the same way as Sega if enough mistakes are made, who knows?
    Yeah.
    Really Stupid Decisions.
    Then there's also the damge by the Sega-CD and 32x.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Here goes the same speak I say everytime about SEGA.

Saturn characteristics:
    - was a fucking powerhouse
    - it was hard to develop for
    - it failed due to poor advertising and previous failure of the 32X and mildly bad Sega CD
    - it lacked a Sonic game because Yuji Naka and some other dev were two fucking pricks and almost kill the head dev of the Sonic game that never saw the light of day (and seemed to be quite promising, I'd love to play it): Sonic Xtreme

As for Ninty... wow. Just... wow.
    How do you manage to lose almost a billion dollars?!

Ninty might not be the company I favor most when it comes to buying, but they are the last company that is constantly trying to innovate and DOES LIKE VIDEOGAMES.

I don't know if it's the best or the worst time of all to say that Nintendo should make a partnership with Sega for the next gen.

It seems neither can manage their money...
    But gaming wise, wouldn't it be the best thing ever?
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Almighty MegaMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Almighty MegaMan View Post
    As for Ninty... wow. Just... wow.
    How do you manage to lose almost a billion dollars?!
    What I love is the fact that no one seems to really care that Sony is projecting a 1.2 billion dollar loss for the current fiscal year.

Some of the same reasons Sony is posting a loss are going to be the same reasons that Nintendo is.

[ edit ] I didn't notice the post earlier that pointed this out.
    Last edited by Drageuth; 5th-November-2011 at 19:36.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    actually apple would be most likely since they supposedly offered to buy out nintendo some time ago, also just because he says HE would bow out they would still need to clear their debt, thus hey would need to sell the company, their exclusives (ie: zelda, mario etc...) to pay off the debt
    Its called filing for bankruptcy, and Nintendo told Apple to piss off last I checked

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf the Knight View Post
    Its called filing for bankruptcy, and Nintendo told Apple to piss off last I checked
    Apple: By pricks, for pricks. They'd probably release a new console every year if they bought out or created a game company.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

i think i heard they intended to put mario games on the ipods, also this was when nintendo was in the green, right now being in the red, they might have little choice

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just another step towards every game being farmville or some shitty phone game! lol

Quote Originally Posted by shard
    They'd probably release a new console every year if they bought out or created a game company.
    And all their fans would buy it each time.