Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo's creeping doom: how the company came to misplace $926 million

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Red face Nintendo's creeping doom: how the company came to misplace $926 million

More terrible news from Japan: Nintendo has posted a $926 million loss for the first half of the fiscal year ending in March 2012. Take a second look at that number. That's 926 million dollars. As in "very close to a billion."

The sheer volume of that amount of cash is staggering. In ones, it would fill a room roughly the size of the one Scrooge McDuck uses to hold his gold. Now imagine simply handing that money over to ... someone. Iwata, perhaps. The point is, you had it and now it's gone. Sucks, right? OK, now you know how Nintendo feels. It gets worse.

While Nintendo regularly loses money in the first half of the fiscal year (that's the period between April and September, approximately) last year it only lost $26 million (a chunk the size of Scrooge's bathroom). This year, then, it lost about $900 million more than last. That's a 3000% percent increase in its decrease, for those who like numbers.

"OK," you might say. "So what? This is Nintendo. It'll make it up over the holidays, like most game companies." And, apart from being a bit pretentiously cavalier about other people's money, you'd be correct. Except, here's the problem with that: Every year for the past 30 years, no matter how much money Nintendo has lost in the first half of the fiscal year, it's shown a profit for the year as a whole. Every year. Except for this one.

Nintendo is now projecting that it will post a total loss of $264 million for the fiscal year, Its first red year since at least 1981. ...
    Full Story here!

All I could say on this one is.... OUCH

I Knew Nintendo have not being doing so hot with the Wii and 3DS but DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kouen Hasuki For This Useful Post:

Supreme Warrior Guest

damn, wonder when nintendo goes the way of Sega eh?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

What about........
    Sony forecasts fourth straight annual loss.

I know it's not the same kind of company as Nintendo......but the loss is just massive

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

i hope nintendo doesnt go out of business i guess there only saving grace may be the nintendo 3ds and the wii u only then we can only hope nintendo's lifespan continues

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by resident evil2 nemesis View Post
    i hope nintendo doesnt go out of business i guess there only saving grace may be the nintendo 3ds and the wii u only then we can only hope nintendo's lifespan continues
    The 3DS is one of the things that is driving them into the grave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    The 3DS is one of the things that is driving them into the grave
    hmm i see anyway like i said i hope the wii U helps nintendos position

Thanks
    EP Points

I think it brings a physical pain to my heart to even try and fathom that amount of money.

Thanks

Mass producing a couple of unproven systems could hurt anyone's wallet, I suppose...?

Thanks
    EP Points

wow just wow. I hope I don't get to see the day nintendo goes under or sony.
    thumperbunnyeve~If Purchase does not entail ownership, then sharing shouldn't mean piracy.
    help the socially disabled https://gofund.me/3234a082
    my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDs...gHZ_f8tjf8jW4w

Thanks
    EP Points

One bad year won't kill Nintendo off though will it? I read through the article and since the US will (hopefully) come out of the recession fairly soon, the differential between the yen and the dollar will be reduced and so will Nintendo's deficit.

Thanks
    EP Points

the wii was selling well its the 3DS's fault

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

That sucks.

Thanks

I think smartphones are really hurting the game companies like nintendo and sony. Just saw a guy playing a pretty good looking version of Madden on his phone. I asked "how much did that cost you?" He said "7 bucks". No wonder nintendo is losing money. How do you compete with a phone that can go online, play nice looking cheap games, and is something you carry around with you at all times?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by smittybeerman View Post
    Just saw a guy playing a pretty good looking version of Madden on his phone. I asked "how much did that cost you?" He said "7 bucks".
    Someone paid $7 for a madden game?
    lolwut

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Ouch.
    Now watch Sega come back when if Nintendo goes under.
    Cuz someone needs to make non-shooter games.
    Also, that's a fucking lot of money.