Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Super Smash Bros?!

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation Sony Super Smash Bros?!

Earlier today, GameRant reported that the Paul Gale Network had a big Sony reveal coming to us. In the initial post Paul Gale had put three hints which happened to be three images of him dressed in different attire: Martial arts uniform, James Bond tuxedo, and Tron. The hints themselves were somewhat vague and didn’t seem related but that was probably the point. Today the big reveal was that there was going to be a Sony equivalent of Nintendo’s Super Smash Bros. Brawl heading towards the Playstation 3 soon. With the rise of the fighting game community and the release and upcoming release of several fighting games (Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Dead or Alive 5) I’m surprised we haven’t heard about this sooner.

Sony Announces A Super Smash Bros. Clone That Will Feature Nathan Drake, Kratos And Others

The game plays on a 2D plane according to Paul Gale and will feature a lot of the characters we’ve come to love on the Playstation console such as: Kratos, Sly Cooper, Nathan Drake, Fat Princess, Parappa, Sweet Tooth, and Rico (Killzone). I’d also expect to see Cole from Infamous, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Solid Snake and hopefully Crash Bandicoot just to name a few.

The gameplay style will cater to people who like the Smash Bros. series and that also goes for the stages as well. Paul states the the stages will be “vibrant and varied” and will take inspiration from popular playstation games such as Jak and Daxter. Much like Smash Bros., there will also be random objects spawning into the levels throughout the match.

This game is sounding to be a lot like Smash Bros. which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. There hasn’t been a style of game like this in several years and this could very well tide players over until the release of the new Smash Bros. on Nintendo’s Wii U. This is also the style of game that attracts more of the casual gamers as well. With games like Marvel vs Capcom and Mortal Kombat getting a significant skill gap rather quickly, this could be the game that people will enjoy playing without getting frustrated or caught in a substantially large combo.

What do you think about the new Sony themed fighting game? Let us know in the comments below.

http://www.devicemag.com/2011/11/01/...s-and-others/?

Not a bad idea, but Sony doesn't seem to have too many mascots left. M$ doesn't really have any either. They sold most of them or dropped them. We could see old super starts like Parappa, but yeah. Unless Sony can get the right to use their IPS they sold (Crash, Spyro), I can't see the cast being too big. The current supported games (not Multiplat) I can think of are:

God of War
    Twisted Metal
    Sly Cooper
    Ratchet and Clank
    Little Big Planet
    Jak & Daxter
    Uncharted
    Tomb Raider(?)

Thanks
    EP Points

Do you have to make a thread for every tidbit of info you find?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemkoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Do you have to make a thread for every tidbit of info you find?
    No, but I assumed people would be interested in a Sony clone of Smash Brothers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lizard81288 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hmm...typical Sony strategy copy off Nintendo

Sorry, I'd actually love this game if they put Jak and Daxter and/or Sly Cooper in it. I just am slightly disappointed with their marketing tactics its like they've given up about trying to be discreet about copying Nintendo....trying to be neutral here >.<
    Last edited by Zierraroze; 3rd-November-2011 at 03:34.
    I think therefore I exist...but if i don't think much does that mean sometimes I don't exist? O.o

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I doubt it would be very hard for Sony to get licensing for random games.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Eh, I'm not really sure what I should feel about this. I feel like only Super Smash Bros. can do Super Smash Bros. correctly.

That being said, I've never really considered Smash an actual fighting game, but I guess it's too early to judge this just yet.
    Last edited by TheRealSpiders; 3rd-November-2011 at 03:46.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    Eh, I'm not really sure what I should feel about this. I feel like only Super Smash Bros. can do Super Smash Bros. correctly.

That being said, I've never really considered Smash an actual fighting game, but I guess it's too early to judge this just yet.
    I think a better quote is a typical fighting game, it most certainly is a fighting game, what else could it be really (action maybe).

It's just a shame this game most likely be a PS3 and/or Vita exclusive and I'll never get to play it, the cast will be interesting. I'm guessing it wont just be first party Sony titles but mostly Sony consoles exclusives, like the people from this Sony commercial (ignore the fact Lightning is on the Xbox 360 to).

edit

Just realized there a few cross platform game characters in there, Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII, Isaac (Dead Space), Little Sister (Bioshock), Ezio (Assassin's Creed) and perhaps some I didn't notice. Still probably a good example given it IS a Sony commercial, which means they may already have the rights to use all the characters in it, if that's the case then the first hurdle for them is out of the way.
    Last edited by Searyan; 3rd-November-2011 at 04:34.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Wow.

This is the worst idea I've ever heard of. Game Informer used to make up idiotic crap like this as parody...and now it seems to be real.

I just...I don't know how this is supposed to work. I mean...Nathan Drake and Kratos? I could see this working as a MvC ripoff, but not Smash Bros.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lizard81288 View Post
    Not a bad idea, but Sony doesn't seem to have too many mascots left. M$ doesn't really have any either. They sold most of them or dropped them. We could see old super starts like Parappa, but yeah. Unless Sony can get the right to use their IPS they sold (Crash, Spyro), I can't see the cast being too big. The current supported games (not Multiplat) I can think of are:

God of War
    Twisted Metal
    Sly Cooper
    Ratchet and Clank
    Little Big Planet
    Jak & Daxter
    Uncharted
    Tomb Raider(?)
    That's not correct. Sony never owned Crash or Spyro (neither Naughty Dog nor Insomniac). Don't say they sold them cos they didn't.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yeah they just published them right?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Searyan View Post
    I think a better quote is a typical fighting game, it most certainly is a fighting game, what else could it be really (action maybe).

It's just a shame this game most likely be a PS3 and/or Vita exclusive and I'll never get to play it, the cast will be interesting. I'm guessing it wont just be first party Sony titles but mostly Sony consoles exclusives, like the people from this Sony commercial (ignore the fact Lightning is on the Xbox 360 to).

edit

Just realized there a few cross platform game characters in there, Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII, Isaac (Dead Space), Little Sister (Bioshock), Ezio (Assassin's Creed) and perhaps some I didn't notice. Still probably a good example given it IS a Sony commercial, which means they may already have the rights to use all the characters in it, if that's the case then the first hurdle for them is out of the way.
    What else would they put it on?

I consider a 'typical' fighter to be something like Street Fighter or King of Fighters.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

I just hope they execute it better than this brawl ripoff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lizard81288 View Post

God of War
    Twisted Metal
    Sly Cooper
    Ratchet and Clank
    Little Big Planet
    Jak & Daxter
    Uncharted
    Tomb Raider(?)
    God of War
    Twisted Metal (Insomiac)
    Sly Cooper
    Ratchet and Clank
    Little Big Planet
    Jak & Daxter (Naughty Dog)
    Uncharted
    Tomb Raider (Edios / Square Enix)

Thats off the top of my head mind you. saying that Sony Don't normally make games just publish them to my memory... Still maybe with there publishing rights maybe they have winged it enough

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    Twisted Metal (Insomiac)
    Insomniac has nothing to do with Twisted Metal. Just sayin'.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Searyan View Post
    Typical is definitely a better word.

But yeah, I'm inclined to agree with Darkseid, I think it would work better as a more Vs-esque game, but as a more platformer based fighting game such as Smash, it just doesn't seem right.

I think the success of this game is going to depend largely on the choice of fighting mechanics they are going to use. Whether they use conventional fighting game controls or they go with smash types controls.