Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Capcom brags about over-pricing Resident Evil: Revelations

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    I remember N64 games going for even 80 bucks, and I don't think that was the highest price.
    When Phantasy Star IV for the Genesis originally came out it was priced at about $100.

Thanks
    EP Points

So you see, don't complain about a game being 10 bucks more than other games on the system.

Thanks
    EP Points

Complaining is human nature

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    And can be repetitive, boring and pointless too.

I agree with what retrofiber said in his first post. It's ridiculous how some people pretend to make us think Capcom is the devil personified.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smittybeerman View Post
    I remember 8bit nintendo games going for 40-50 bucks in the '80s.
    I remember Ultima Exodus (NES) costing $55. I think that was the most I spent on a NES game.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I remember when every game for the then current gen systems costed $250 to $500 (roughly 62,5 to 125 U$D) EACH.

Back then it was...

Oh wait. That gen was this one, with the PS3 and 360, yep.
    That's how it's now here, and how it has been for the last 10 years, only getting worse with time.
    And if our currency gets devaluated again, it wouldn't surprise me to find games at >$500 (125 dollars) a piece.

BAWWWWWWWWWWWW IT COSTS 10 DOLLARS MORE MOMMY WON'T BUY IT FOR ME BAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!
    Babies...

Regardless, it's an excellent reason not to give Capcom any money. I fully support that.
    Capcom doesn't want it anyway
    Seriously now, if they brag about pricing a game higher just because, it means they really don't need your savings.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks

Come one guys, you know the deal. Games have always been a racket because of proprietary bulls**t and hype. It's the same reason it costs so much in foreign countries compared to the mainland countries that have easy access to a post office. It's a proven fact Australia gets the shaft because of trade agreements that allow distributors to charge more for the same product, AKA, price-fixing.

If you ever took the time to divvy up the cost of a game divided by the number of units sold, on average you'll get around $5. After the license fee and shipping, you could get away with selling all those $60 games for $20-$30 (I'm talking about major titles here). The problem with that is I'm basing that on the kindness of their hearts to sell a game while allowing them to have a healthy profit and I'm factoring in the number of people willing to buy it already. The fact is the guys charging you to buy it don't give a f**k about you. Maybe the developers do since some want to bring joy to others, but that is why they have a sales department to be the assholes they don't want to be (and to have more time making the game). Plus not every game will be successful so you have to hedge your bets on people who are willing to pay for an overpriced item.

Then there is the double-double rule of business. If you noticed that $20-30 price I mentioned, that is what most retailers pay for the game. They double it so you get to your $40-60 price tag you see today. Blame greed and retailers for what feels like too much. Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy my $10 PC games because that is the true cost you should be paying. Sure they are a year or two older, but they're still awesome.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    So is being judgmental and greedy. So this thread is... Entirely pointless.
    but seriously are you really complaining? Why not complain about things like.
    Why Brawls still 50 bucks or why every other country thinks the USA is stupid, or hell why we visit Mexico when god knows everyone is fleeing there (That joke was poor and out of taste)
    You know what we need. One console that plays everything but that'll never happen!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Games were justified in expense back then because of the physical construction of the cart, the RAM chips, the hardware, what have you. With discs becoming more common, there was the hope that games would become less expensive due to the fact that producing a CD is about 2 cents. But they really haven't; we're just so used to paying 60 bucks for a game. And it's getting worse because atleast back then, we had complete games. Now we get broken, incomplete games that require hard drives for patches because beta testing no longer exists and we have to buy a chunk of the game via DLC.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    Games were justified in expense back then because of the physical construction of the cart, the RAM chips, the hardware, what have you. With discs becoming more common, there was the hope that games would become less expensive due to the fact that producing a CD is about 2 cents. But they really haven't; we're just so used to paying 60 bucks for a game. And it's getting worse because atleast back then, we had complete games. Now we get broken, incomplete games that require hard drives for patches because beta testing no longer exists and we have to buy a chunk of the game via DLC.
    Rancid-nostalgia strikes back, let's keep complaining!

The price of actual games is justified and has nothing to do with how much cost producing a CD, that's not a significative part of the total cost of producing a game

Thanks
    EP Points

brawl ISNT still $50, its $39 new and $29 used

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

Storage media is cheaper, but the costs of actually making a game have increased astronomically. In the past 25 years we've seen the average development team size go from maybe half a dozen people to over a hundred in some circumstances. All those people need paying, and releasing games on platforms with as small a user base as the 3DS means companies are having to look at how they can not only make sure everyone involved gets their cut but also make a profit and fund the creation of future titles. If Capcom utilised a full team and genuinely developed Revelations like a console title I can see why they've increased the price. I don't like it, and I agree it's expensive, but the fact of the matter is they probably won't be the last company to try this.

The thing is, with Capcom the only series I really care about is Rockman. But since Inafune left, Capcom seems bound and determined to piss off the fanbase and kill off anything related to it in production. They also seem to hate PC gamers and think us all filthy criminals, so they drag their feet and simply refuse to release much. So that's why Capcom, to me, hates me, my money and what I love.

Maybe if I actually cared about their fighting games or Resident Evil, I would feel differently. But I don't.
    To be fair you won't find many Japanese video game companies who bother to release ANY of their titles on PC. Capcom are among the best of the lot when it comes to non console platforms, sadly. PC gaming simply isn't a priority in Japan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    To be fair you won't find many Japanese video game companies who bother to release ANY of their titles on PC. Capcom are among the best of the lot when it comes to non console platforms, sadly. PC gaming simply isn't a priority in Japan.
    Capcom have been rather good on the pc as of late I Will say, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter 4 all work on PC Like a dream rather well optimised
    Dark Void runs well too I will say as well as Bionic Commando
    Dead Rising 2 had some issues but it turned out mostly to be problems with ATi and Crossfire

So In reality hats off to Capcom they generally have been doing it right on PC.

Me im not one of the Sheep that have jumped on the whole Capcom sucks bandwaggon over 2 pulled games although to be fair I dont care that much about Mega Man, Sorry I Grew up with Sega Deal With it But I took the time to look up Mega Man releases and across a lot of platforms he has had over 100 releases not including cameo's. Fans racing to there torches and pitchforks also forgot that the original creator of Mega Man is no longer at Capcom and unlike every other Mega Man game would not oversee any more of them.

Sure I Didn't like they Dropped Umbrella and Turned Resident evil from a Survival Horror to an Action Game but that didn't mean to say I was going to boycott the whole company over it, if people who gets upset about this stuff stops and thinks about it with some logic they maybe wouldn't rage so much.

To me some of this may be a good move so that Capcom can work on there other more forgotten IP's too

Yes This Game is going to cost $10 more than the Normal US 3DS Price Point and to be honest I Dont see it as a huge issue. You No Like, You No Buy you know, Not like anyone is holding a gun to your head telling you to buy this product just as much as when Black Ops came around at a higher price point. Its worth remembering also the 3DS is not doing well at all so the userbase is much smaller the price increase may be there to help balance the lower user amount of the handheld.

Just my 2 Cents

Thanks
    EP Points

So let me get things straight. I'm not a Capcom hater, by any means. Sure, I'm not pleased with ML3 being canned, but I still thoroughly enjoy most of the games they've released in recent memory. As with RE:R, it's not so much the $10 as the principle of them wanting to release it at a higher price. I agree that games have become a lot more expensive to make, but Capcom's not the only one spending ridiculous amounts of money money to make games, and somehow, all of these other companies aren't charging $50 for their handheld games.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm going to buy it when it's cheaper, if it's good. If it'll suck, then I won't buy it at all. I care about my savings.
    I've been disappointed with RE5, so I hope Revelation will live up to its name. Besides, the Resident Evil saga is entering Zombie territory again with Operation Raccoon City. (Finally a next-gen Raccoon City, not counting Darkside Chronicles.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    Dead Rising 2 had some issues but it turned out mostly to be problems with ATi and Crossfire
    I'm playing Off The Record and so far, it's a damn good port. I think it's easily the best version. My only complaint with DR2 for 360 was the framerate issue, which has been fixed with Frank West's adventure.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube