Thread: Purchasing an already established website?

Thanks

Default Purchasing an already established website?

( I feel that this falls under a 'general topic', but it will no doubt be moved to another locale. )

I know nothing about this, but have looked into domain names for various things. Here is the deal...

My buddy has a Halloween/vintage horror-themed website that he no longer has the time or the $$$ for, and wishes to sell it. The site gets 'moderate' traffic, mostly fans of this and that, he isnt a retailer.
    Another lady I know has a well established action figure-oriented site. It gets quite a lot of traffic, and has forums as well, fairly large ones.

Question(s) is, how does this all work, and what sort of $$$ am I looking at here, realistically? I know that there are 'server fees', and lord knows what else...
    Is it like a 'merger' in Corporate terms, where the new management steps in, or? Do the MODs remain from the previous owner, or are you required to have your own staff at the ready?

I just dont want to see either site 'die away' or become a loss....there are many fans that visit both sites, that would suck for them.

I have the available income, and have been on medical disability for some time, so 'free time' isnt a real issue. I just hate the idea of having to be the 'boss' of a large 'situation' like that. I'd more than likely be a HEAVY delegator, being essentially not the 'boss', but the guy behind the scenes that foots the bill.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    EP Points

It will probably take some time to get it set up the way you want it to be, but it's surely doable.

Thanks

True. I hope, seeing as how I'm an easy-going guy, that most, if not all, of the MODs will hang around for me. To be very honest, I might pop-in on either site only once or twice per week, to make sure that things are running smoothly and no douchebags are shitting up the place.
    The way I see it, the MODs and ADMINs that already exist on those sites have done their thing, well, for so many years, why should I come along and piss in the pool, eh?

The main goal, if I pursue these, would be basically a "changing of the guard". I'm not trying to come in and give the whole "During this transition we hope...blah blah blah.." like a friggin Bill Lumbergh or some stiff-assed schmuck.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't know that much about setting up a website; I had thought about doing an art-oriented one, but that will have to wait since I'm in school and need to gain more art skills anyway.

Thanks

you could always doa silent partner type deal where you don't have much pull or after you merge both have the mods stayon just try and help people match likes and common intrests between the two haveing two full staff's working together you could probably make it better if both staffs worked on a bit of both. pretty much since both sites are up you don't have to worry about too much as long as you trust the mods and ask if there willing to stay you may not need a new staff

Thanks

Are you going to make EP bigggger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Blog View Post
    Are you going to make EP bigggger
    YES!! You uncovered the SECRET! I am currently in negotiations for ownership of this very site!!

A few video game-related sites have caught my eye while messing around with Google, but I dont think that any of the more interesting ones have a 'buy' option, just yet...

Fatty, Yes, exactly. "Silent" wouldnt be the word for it, heh, more like "check-in-once-per-week"-partner. Neither parties are looking for ANYthing more to do with their respective sites, so 'partnering' with them is void, though yes, I'm hoping that several of the MODs remain on...