Thread: Phantasy Star II (and the series in general)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Phantasy Star II (and the series in general)

img-1.png
    I recently bought Phantasy Star II for Genesis and find the music great and the setting refreshing for this kind of RPG but the difficulty pretty unyielding right off the bat. Perhaps it's because I haven't played an RPG like it in a while. Does anyone else agree? Also, aside from that, what are your thoughts in general on the game and the series. Which are the best to play?

Thanks
    EP Points

'Tis a good game, but not the best in the series. The best goes to 4, which I luckily own a complete copy of.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Phantasy Star 2 is hard by today's standards, but it's NOTHING compared to the first game on the Master System, where you have to grind for an hour to move about 5 feet in game distance.

Phantasy Star 4 is the best of the series, balancing out difficulty and greatly ramping up the plot. But I have a soft spot for 3, which had the most interesting story IN THEORY due to the generation system. Of course, they ended up making the generations bleed together at the end and made them all feel pretty much the same, only with some slight character swapping.

And two of the endings basically destroy complaints about the game not having much, if anything to do with the rest of the series.

Thanks

One of my favourite RPG series' of all time. I enjoyed PS1 and in terms of gameplay PS2 was pretty similar; you grind like hell to get strong and spend your meseta wisely on a single piece of equipment for one character then repeat until you have all of your characters well equipped. It gives a real feeling of accomplishment when you can finally afford a new weapon and I loved it. I loved the anime characters and the awesome music as well.

Phantasy Star 3 was absolutely horrible imo. Thankfully it doesn't tie into the series fully, only in an obscure way which I'm not going to tell you as it would spoil PS2.

PS4 was totally amazing. It's a lot easier than the others but still stays just difficult enough to be rewarding. The post-apocalyptic storyline is great as well, and although the first few hours consists of rescuing a chick from an evil wizards castle there's a nice twist on it and it gets far more original after that. The characters are amazing also and the combo attacks and macro system make the turn based battles fun.

I've never played the generations remakes, only the original Megadrive versions. Shame they ruined it with crappy online games.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Calling the way PS3 ties into the series obscure is like saying that the connection between Final Fantasy 4 and the After Years is obscure.

They have DIRECT, BLATANT TIES.

Thanks
    EP Points

I consider Phantasy Star II the most boring, frustrating, and SLOW Phantasy Star out of the whole series. Yes, the original is dated all right, but at least you do feel like you're moving at a pace. Not so with Phantasy Star II. Oh, and the penultimate boss is very unfair to put it midly. If luck is not on your side, you're screwed hard. Also, he is harder than the final boss.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

People say that all the time, but I honestly didn't find Dark Force to be hard. All he ever did was try to possess my characters, leaving him open to just kick the living crap out of him. Meanwhile, the TRUE FINAL BOSS put up much more of a fight, to the point where characters actually DIED.

Thanks

It can be implied they all died, but it isn't shown.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hmm interesting. It seems PS4 gets a lot of love. I'm going to have to play it eventually. And dammit I keep dying in PS2!!

Thanks

Enjoyed the first two, but never really got into PSIII... I think it was the horrible sound quality...

Quote Originally Posted by SpuzzHardwick View Post
    Hmm interesting. It seems PS4 gets a lot of love. I'm going to have to play it eventually. And dammit I keep dying in PS2!!
    You'll love Alys! Such a cliche, but... ^.^

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I googled "Alys Phantasy Star" and this came up...

alys___motavia_field_by_slimdefinition-d3it0xg.jpg

...and now I'm scarred for life.

Also, Mr. Nemo...thanks for the spoiler. I got in trouble for that when I joined. Just a heads up.

Thanks

A closed fist and a menacing expression were in order...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No disrespect for cosplayers or anything...but that image looks like she just put herself onto a postcard for New Mexico.

"Greetings From New Mexico! The Cosplaying and Meth Dealing here is great!"

Thanks

I prefer the Phantasy Star series over the Final Fantasy series during the the SNES/Genesis era. I liked the effort put into the artwork and the anime-style cutscenes. Of course, I might of sung a different tune if I had to buy them at retail price when they came out. They were really expensive.

Thanks

Also, Mr. Nemo...thanks for the spoiler. I got in trouble for that when I joined. Just a heads up.
    Like I said though, it is implied via dialog, but no one really knows. They could have survived and done something heroic to end the struggle. I knew about the ending beforehand, and it was still great. I mean, it wasn't lame like FF X. Now that would be a spoiler people shouldn't mention.