Thread: Dolphin Performance

Thanks

Default Dolphin Performance

Sup guys, back from the dead (to those who might remember me). How's dolphin perform on your rigs? I get some pretty fluid play with most games, some not so much, but most all of them produce some pretty badly aliased looking edges. Even with anti-aliasing, it's pretty cringe worthy. Am I the only one?

Thanks

ive been trying to play the re1 remake on gamecube but i always get an error that doesnt go away and exits me out of it and the error doesnt make sense i cant remember what it said though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by resident evil2 nemesis View Post
    ive been trying to play the re1 remake on gamecube but i always get an error that doesnt go away and exits me out of it and the error doesnt make sense i cant remember what it said though
    Write it down and google it.

I was able to play through the entirety of the RE1 remake fairly smoothly on my computer (Did a playthrough as Chris. I assume Jill's game works fine, too). I remember crashing maybe once or twice, and whenever I hit a certain angle in the entry hall (One that had like, a candelabra right up next to the camera) the framerate would suddenly drop to like 5. Other than that, it was perfect.

I also tried Harvest Moon: Magical Melody, but it was a little ugly. It looked pretty close to the screenshots I've seen, though, so it might just be the game.
    CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL I'M SO WAAAAACCKYYYYYYY

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey View Post
    Write it down and google it.

I was able to play through the entirety of the RE1 remake fairly smoothly on my computer (Did a playthrough as Chris. I assume Jill's game works fine, too). I remember crashing maybe once or twice, and whenever I hit a certain angle in the entry hall (One that had like, a candelabra right up next to the camera) the framerate would suddenly drop to like 5. Other than that, it was perfect.

I also tried Harvest Moon: Magical Melody, but it was a little ugly. It looked pretty close to the screenshots I've seen, though, so it might just be the game.
    yeah problem with the error they are huge windowed errors and not to mention i tried it with another game (army men air attack elite missions) and that one didnt run very fast in face none of the games ran smoothly on my pc

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by resident evil2 nemesis View Post
    yeah problem with the error they are huge windowed errors and not to mention i tried it with another game (army men air attack elite missions) and that one didnt run very fast in face none of the games ran smoothly on my pc
    Sounds graphical so I'd start with switching backends. OpenGL is the best in my opinion; DirectX is not a favorite of mine.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by svorax View Post
    I get some pretty fluid play with most games, some not so much, but most all of them produce some pretty badly aliased looking edges. Even with anti-aliasing, it's pretty cringe worthy. Am I the only one?
    Sounds like you're playing on native resolution or something. Go to Graphics/Enhancements/Internal Resolution: if you're on a new(er) build, you should be able to change it there. Games look roughly like this on my end, the edges look fine to me. And I don't even use anti-aliasing.

As for performance, it depends on many things. The game itself, the build I'm using or even the settings. Games like REmake run full speed for me, while I sometimes get slowdowns with some of the more demanding Wii titles.
    Last edited by Gare; 22nd-October-2011 at 15:21.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Edgeworth View Post
    Sounds like you're playing on native resolution or something. Go to Graphics/Enhancements/Internal Resolution: if you're on a new(er) build, you should be able to change it there. Games look roughly like this on my end, the edges look fine to me. And I don't even use anti-aliasing.

As for performance, it depends on many things. The game itself, the build I'm using or even the settings. Games like REmake run full speed for me, while I sometimes get slowdowns with some of the more demanding Wii titles.
    WOW, that was so obvious. 2x and 3x look way better. What hardware are you running? Is that screen from a generic or more of a powerhouse?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by svorax View Post
    WOW, that was so obvious. 2x and 3x look way better. What hardware are you running? Is that screen from a generic or more of a powerhouse?
    I'm on an Athlon II X3 435 @ 2.9 GHz and an old 8800GT. It's by no means an extremely powerful PC. That screenshot is from Xenoblade, and it actually runs quite well (full speed most of the time, except when there's a lot going on in a battle) on my rig, but only with the correct settings and only on newer builds. On older versions of Dolphin, I couldn't run it as well as I can now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Edgeworth View Post
    I'm on an Athlon II X3 435 @ 2.9 GHz and an old 8800GT. It's by no means an extremely powerful PC. That screenshot is from Xenoblade, and it actually runs quite well (full speed most of the time, except when there's a lot going on in a battle) on my rig, but only with the correct settings and only on newer builds. On older versions of Dolphin, I couldn't run it as well as I can now.
    Wow, on a stock clocked triple core? I'm consistently shocked how fast the team working on Dolphin improves it's resource hogging and runs through bugs. It's phenomenal how much it's improved recently. I just bought an i7 920 and overclocked it up to 4.00, but I'm too broke to get a new GFX card :p. I currently have an 8600GT. I've never played Xenoblade, but judging by the pic I'm thinking a sort of real time Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts style? With the extra oomph from my new CPU, Mario Galaxy 2 plays real fluidly but Metroid Prime is still aggravatingly too low on frame rate.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, Dolphin has actually come really far these past few years. Sometimes all you have to do to improve framerate is wait for a newer, more optimized build. As for Xenoblade, you're kinda-sorta right. It's nothing like KH, but it does play a bit like FF12, except in a more open world.