Thread: Trouble playing particular game

Thanks

Default Trouble playing particular game

Hello,
    I'm having trouble playing a particular game (Def Jam Fight For NY) using PCSX2. I know the computer isn't necessarily up to par, however I have had some luck playing R-Type Final, and FF XII. Whenever I start up the game, everything goes well at first (initial character creation, save/load of game settings, and even level/arena selection. Until it gets to the loading screen right before the match/level begins, then it just hangs up. Looking at the command console running in the back ground, looking at the last few command lines, this is what I read:

Channel 2 DMA is stopped and reach END tag.
    VIF1: IDLE
    VIF: LAST VIF code was 50000005
    GIF: Intermittent mode
    GIF: temporary stop
    GIF: IDLE STATE
    GIF: transferring from EE to GS
    GIF: transferring from VU address 0x0 REG 0x0 Loopcount 0

Any ideas what is wrong? I'm at a loss as to what is happening. I've checked the game itself, and its listed as fully compatible/playable so it's throwing me for a loop.

Thanks
    EP Points

Which version of PCSX2? plugins settings?

This game should run without issues on the latest version, try enabling the Automatic Game Fixes, and disable Speedhacks if you are using any.

Thanks

graphics - gsdx (mscv 15.00, sse2) 0.1.14
    sound - zerospu2 r512-dev 0.4.6
    cdvdrom - linuz iso cdvd 0.8.0
    bios europe v.01.60 (04/10/2001) console

------

Been thinking,

Outside of the bios, which other settings (Config -> Configure) should I mess with in the hopes of getting this game to work? I also am getting nothing but a black screen and no sound out of these games: Black, Gungrave Overdose, Red Faction. Time Splitters Future Perfect crashes on me once the level is just about to load as well.
    Last edited by meganova; 20th-October-2011 at 14:15. Reason: double posts merge

Thanks
    EP Points

Those games are playable on PCSX2, with Automatic Game Fixes enabled and rest of the settings are in default.

Again, which version of PCSX2?

Thanks

Using 0.9.6 I checked both boxes able to check in Config -> Game Fixes (the FPU Compare Hack, and the VU Add / Sub Hack). I'm still getting the same thing. I've undone any of the speed hacks I've tried fiddeling with as well. Any attempt to change the graphics plugins leads to an instant crash. I can't figure out why certain games work and some don't though. I don't want to lead you into a weak answer but how much does the hardware have to be up to par (for instance my PC only has Pixel shader 2.0, not sure if that actually could mean the difference between a working game and the "black window of silent death.") if that actually has any weight to it.

This is the last pertinant logs written in the command prompt when trying to play roms that only give me the black window of silent death:

LoadElfFile: cdrom0:\SLUS_213. 76;1
    loadELfFile: 3371868
    loadELfFile: cdrom0: \SLUS_213. 76;1; CRC = 5C891FF1

Again, I'm very new to PS2 emulation so I'm just shooting in the dark as to what (if anything) might help ascertain the nature of my problems. I've tried various clones of the same roms as well (tried 2-4 different uploaders/rom files/websites) for the following games that only give me the silent black window of death: Black, Gungrave Overload, Redfaction, Goldeneye Rogue Agent. FFXII & R-Types Final work perfectly (strangely enough as FFXII is supposed to be a quirky game that requires more effort to play then most other roms from what I've read), Def Jam Fight For NY still locks up right as a level/match is about to begin.
    Last edited by SSG_K; 20th-October-2011 at 16:39. Reason: mispelled words

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SSG_K View Post
    Using 0.9.6 [...]
    There. Update to 0.9.8(full installer), and see how it goes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to meganova For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Dude! Thank you so much for that, I honestly never thought it would even matter but at least half the roms I've tried already (of the group that gave me the black window of silent death) have been working perfectly. Thanks again dude I really appreciate it.

----

Kind of dumb (guessing it was removed) but my old version of .9.6 had more folders. Specifically memcards, inis, sstates, logs, snap, and dumps. While I'm guessing all but memcards is necessary. Should I just drag n' drop the memcards folder from my old version to the newest version?
    Last edited by meganova; 21st-October-2011 at 23:50. Reason: double posts merge

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes, but remember, savestates files from previous version won't work on the latest version of the emulator.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to meganova For This Useful Post: