Thread: Video games that were a huge Letdown

Thanks

This may be a shock, but Gears of War.

It just wasn't spectacular to me.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Having to play the entire game with the stylus did not appeal to me at all. Couldn't get into it.
    all DS games that exclusively use the stylus are big letdowns to me, I guess it's just I'm an old fashioned gamer with deep roots.

I will always prefer the feel of a control of some sort in my hands compared to a tiny pen/stylus.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Auron Braska View Post
    all DS games that exclusively use the stylus are big letdowns to me, I guess it's just I'm an old fashioned gamer with deep roots.

I will always prefer the feel of a control of some sort in my hands compared to a tiny pen/stylus.
    I just find it frustrating when my hand covers half the screen because I'm trying to aim with a goddamn pen, and I can't see something behind me because I'm tapping on the other side of the screen.

Also, I hold pens weird. Which makes using a stylus uncomfortable after ten minutes.

Thanks
    EP Points

all tactics games, basicly if i want to gain levels i have to fight the same freaking way each time on a certain level which gives me junk experiance. for jrpg's, the last remnant could have been better (they used to powerful of an engine in that game which caused it to lagg badly at some points), infinite undiscovery (it was smooth but played like ffx12 without the gambit system and you need sterio or surround to fully enjoy it) and those are all i can think of right now.

Thanks

I'm surprised no one's said this one yet, but... Fable. Lionhead Studio's pivotal title; promised years before the release that it was everything a gamer could ask for and then some. Promised it would be completely customizable, with a seemingly endless gamut of experiences both in and out of battle to enjoy too. Of course, we all know how that went. A fairly linear RPG with low end graphics for its own time and not even a fraction of the customizations promised.

But that's not to say Fable was a bad game. I personally loved that game and still go back and beat my way through it once again every so blue moon when I feel like I want to reminisce. I er... I wish I could say just as well for Fable's sequel titles however...

Whereas they became much more customizable, they depreciated in the story. The radical changes to the game mechanics every title really didn't help either, and as always, were again, another let down out from the mouth of Peter Molyneux. Still though, greatness isn't achieved through perfection.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ZENX49 View Post
    I'm surprised no one's said this one yet, but... Fable. Lionhead Studio's pivotal title; promised years before the release that it was everything a gamer could ask for and then some. Promised it would be completely customizable, with a seemingly endless gamut of experiences both in and out of battle to enjoy too. Of course, we all know how that went. A fairly linear RPG with low end graphics for its own time and not even a fraction of the customizations promised.

But that's not to say Fable was a bad game. I personally loved that game and still go back and beat my way through it once again every so blue moon when I feel like I want to reminisce. I er... I wish I could say just as well for Fable's sequel titles however...

Whereas they became much more customizable, they depreciated in the story. The radical changes to the game mechanics every title really didn't help either, and as always, were again, another let down out from the mouth of Peter Molyneux. Still though, greatness isn't achieved through perfection.
    Fable itself wasn't mentioned, but Fable 2 was. Same thing, in my opinion.

Thanks
    EP Points

Gotta agree with Fable there. I stopped taking Molyneux seriously somewhere around that time. It was still a fun game, mind. But I just don't believe a word of what Peter says anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Fair enough, if that's what you want, let's see how many favourite threads can we get, if it gets ridiculous again all will be closed and you'll be punished
    I'm Miles fucking Edgeworth. You can't punish me.

Not until Halloween's over, anyway!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Shocked no one has mentioned Duke Nukem Forever yet, although no matter how good it could have been it would never have lived up to the hype, Me I Didnt mind it but im glad i paid half price.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare.. I Dont get the hype single player to me was stale and boring after the boat mission and I didn't feel I wanted to play more, Multiplayer wise it seemed to be a bunch of 7 year. Now dont get me wrong to some people that game is great and im happy for em to me its bland and boring. its also the root cause of the downward spiral of the fps since by unwritten law since then most fps games have been of only a few shades of dull colour only carrying 2 or 3 weapons and you have to hide all the time while the ketchup clears of the screen and your balls grow back. dont get me wrong i really really tried to love the game, Ive tried modern warfare 2 as well and felt just the same.

Crysis. I Don't get the hype on this one well this goes for Far Cry 1 as well...aside from being a over the top benchmark I dont find that much in the way of game. it feels to me most got it to grow there E-penis about how many frames per second they get on high. I got the maximum edition and tried it a few times, it looks great and the nanosuit is interesting but aside from that the game is kinda bland and really starts to feel like far cry 1 which i have similar feelings for.

Minecraft I Just dont get the hype on this one, its 3D lego of sorts sure because they saw Terraria and there lil rpg-ish stuff (also i dont get that game too lol) and semi ripped it off although Terraria did that with building but thats all a whole nother debate, its got a little more than dig this place that "oh look i made a 50 foot tall golden penis!" I Dont mind or care about the graphics but to me the gameplay makes me want to kill myself. still if you get it great me I just dont lol

Super Mario Sunshine All I need to say about this one is subliminal messaging for anti graffiti Which leads me too....
    Jet Set Radio Subliminal Messaging for graffiti

Now none of my opinions above are in anyway trolling, an attack on the devs or the games themselves or the players of said games there just my thoughts and experiences with the games, People that know me well enough know these are my true real opinions Just remember "Each to there own"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbeast View Post
    This may be a shock, but Gears of War.

It just wasn't spectacular to me.
    It isn't a shock to me.
    I have the first GoW but could never be bothered finishing it

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Fable itself wasn't mentioned, but Fable 2 was. Same thing, in my opinion.
    The series is overhyped, but the games themselves are still enjoyable imo (but I've always got them cheap or free).

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigan Aensland View Post
    Shocked no one has mentioned Duke Nukem Forever yet, although no matter how good it could have been it would never have lived up to the hype, Me I Didnt mind it but im glad i paid half price.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare..
    Duke Nukem Forever was doomed to be a let down.
    CoD went shit with MW and Black Ops imo........but I guess I just liked the series when it was WW2 themed
    Probably the same story for MoH I guess.

I'll now mention something that many people like........Dead Space.
    Nice shooter, but it's annoying having a fair bit of your vision blocked

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    It isn't a shock to me.
    I have the first GoW but could never be bothered finishing it

The series is overhyped, but the games themselves are still enjoyable imo (but I've always got them cheap or free).

Duke Nukem Forever was doomed to be a let down.
    CoD went shit with MW and Black Ops imo........but I guess I just liked the series when it was WW2 themed
    Probably the same story for MoH I guess.

I'll now mention something that many people like........Dead Space.
    Nice shooter, but it's annoying having a fair bit of your vision blocked
    This.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

i would saw the two saw games i mean they are not bad but they could have worked harder on it but thats just my opinion

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigan Aensland View Post

Call of Duty Modern Warfare.. I Dont get the hype single player to me was stale and boring after the boat mission and I didn't feel I wanted to play more, Multiplayer wise it seemed to be a bunch of 7 year. Now dont get me wrong to some people that game is great and im happy for em to me its bland and boring. its also the root cause of the downward spiral of the fps since by unwritten law since then most fps games have been of only a few shades of dull colour only carrying 2 or 3 weapons and you have to hide all the time while the ketchup clears of the screen and your balls grow back. dont get me wrong i really really tried to love the game, Ive tried modern warfare 2 as well and felt just the same.

Crysis. I Don't get the hype on this one well this goes for Far Cry 1 as well...aside from being a over the top benchmark I dont find that much in the way of game. it feels to me most got it to grow there E-penis about how many frames per second they get on high. I got the maximum edition and tried it a few times, it looks great and the nanosuit is interesting but aside from that the game is kinda bland and really starts to feel like far cry 1 which i have similar feelings for.

Minecraft I Just dont get the hype on this one, its 3D lego of sorts sure because they saw Terraria and there lil rpg-ish stuff (also i dont get that game too lol) and semi ripped it off although Terraria did that with building but thats all a whole nother debate, its got a little more than dig this place that "oh look i made a 50 foot tall golden penis!" I Dont mind or care about the graphics but to me the gameplay makes me want to kill myself. still if you get it great me I just dont lol

Super Mario Sunshine All I need to say about this one is subliminal messaging for anti graffiti Which leads me too....
    Jet Set Radio Subliminal Messaging for graffiti

Now none of my opinions above are in anyway trolling, an attack on the devs or the games themselves or the players of said games there just my thoughts and experiences with the games, People that know me well enough know these are my true real opinions Just remember "Each to there own"
    So you Don't like Jet Set Radio?
    The most dissappointing one for me was Battle Rage: MEch conflict.
    I got it as a gift, and me, never hearing about the game, played it.
    I played for less the 5 minutes and ever opened its case again.
    Everything about it is horrible, it even lags in the menu!
    So glad I sold it with 2 other games for Metroid Prime 3.

Thanks
    EP Points

For me?

Dead Space 2 - to many 'organic weapons'; organic mines, organic turrets, homing spores + FEAR style hallucinations + boring as hell crawling in ventilations shafts.
    Front Mission: Evolved - boring shooter...
    Bioshock 2 - too much shooting, levels are to big and confusing, etc. Bigger&more is not always better.
    Xenosaga Episode 2 - no equipent in RPG game, all characters are basically the same, short, boooooooooring E.S. fights, Global Samaritan quest are just too annoying.
    Last edited by ponury_indor; 15th-October-2011 at 16:50.

Thanks

Battlefield 3: I guess that it's not just me that expected a lot more out of it. Not that i hate it, but it could be a lot better.

Silent Hill 4: It focused more on the story, and the horror was left aside.

Medal of Honor: The whole game was a letdown.

Co I like CoD, A LOT. But I got to admit, series sucked after Black Ops. MW2 was at least enjoyable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    I've gotten flack for this before, but I still say Dragon Quest 9 for the DS. The series has always been rooted in tradition and likes to take elements from past games, but 9 literally felt like it was stitched together from previous games and had offered nothing new at all*.

I don't know, maybe I'm just crazy. Everybody else seems to love the game...

* Yes, technically the system to change the way your characters look was new. But you see, that has nothing to do with the actual gameplay and plot. It's all aesthetic and therefore doesn't add anything new to the game.

Idk have you played any other games in the series? There's quite a bit of copypasta in most of their games.