Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Video games that were a huge Letdown

Thanks

Default Video games that were a huge Letdown

Recently, I started playing Lunar: Dragon Song on the DS. I had high expectations. The original Lunar is one of my favorite RPG's ever. Dragon Song turned out to be a steaming load of bunk. I haven't been this disappointed by a game in a long time. Has anyone else played a game that turned out to be a big letdown?

Thanks
    EP Points

Actually, I was disappointed by the same game, small world. That and Too Human. I have no idea why I had high hopes for Too Human, but I. Needless to say, that didn't go over too well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by BucDouble93 View Post
    Recently, I started playing Lunar: Dragon Song on the DS. I had high expectations. The original Lunar is one of my favorite RPG's ever. Dragon Song turned out to be a steaming load of bunk. I haven't been this disappointed by a game in a long time. Has anyone else played a game that turned out to be a big letdown?
    If you want to talk about Lunar Dragon Song it's fine, now if this is going to be yet another overrated games thread I'm afraid it will be closed, we've had a bunch of those and they never end well. So, if you want this to remain open we'll change the thread title, if that's ok with you.

Thanks
    EP Points

You should try keeping one of these threads open for a change and see where it goes. I know very well the reason these threads are being nuked on sight, but I say we should ease up a bit for now. If it gets out of hand again, just proceed with the nuking.

Anyway, I'd go with The Last Story on Wii. Quite a letdown. I was hyped for it and it turned out to be pretty meh. I think the trailers made that game look cooler than it actually was.

See? This can be done in a civil way.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Edgeworth View Post
    You should try keeping one of these threads open for a change and see where it goes. I know very well the reason these threads are being nuked on sight, but I say we should ease up a bit for now. If it gets out of hand again, just proceed with the nuking.

Anyway, I'd go with The Last Story on Wii. Quite a letdown. I was hyped for it and it turned out to be pretty meh. I think the trailers made that game look cooler than it actually was.

That's sort of disappointing, I wanted to play Last Story, but never got around to it for some reason. Anything that was specifically bad about it, or was it just mediocre?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've gotten flack for this before, but I still say Dragon Quest 9 for the DS. The series has always been rooted in tradition and likes to take elements from past games, but 9 literally felt like it was stitched together from previous games and had offered nothing new at all*.

I don't know, maybe I'm just crazy. Everybody else seems to love the game...

* Yes, technically the system to change the way your characters look was new. But you see, that has nothing to do with the actual gameplay and plot. It's all aesthetic and therefore doesn't add anything new to the game.

Thanks
    EP Points

Warriors Orochi 2 on the 360. I had the first one for the psp and had a lot of fun with it. It was plagued by unforgivable slowdowns when certain amounts of enemies were on screen (and let's face it this is supposed to be a big aspect to the game) Load times were crap. The sound was meh, voice acting ridiculous to dull to annoying and back again. The graphics were average if not below in some places, definitely not worthy of current gen, hell it would be average at this point in time for the PS2. The controls were shoddy, it felt like I had to fight with the game to go beyond the cardinal directions at times. The strafe was almost useless. It was still a bitch to mount a horse. Glitches (big ones like falling forever and getting stuck in walls, but only encountered these a couple of times) The stories garbage. Now I do understand that this was a port from the PS2 but they could have at least spruced it up or at least attempt a fix on some glaring problems.

I was not impressed. 3/10

Oh and I did eventually beat all the different clans and a few of the dream mode battles. Thankfully it was cheap.

Thanks
    EP Points

Came in here to post exactly the same title, actually. TLS anti-hype squad, assemble! It's not the worst game I've played, nor the most disappointing, but it's the one that comes to mind most immediately because I bought it for full price, because I played it relatively recently, and because it danced close to greatness but ended up sinking into the pits of mediocrity.

Thanks

Not sure how anyone could dislike Dragon Quest 9 ive clocked in over 1300 hours on it and gotten pretty much everything.. until i sold it for a quick buck.

but uh, for a game that was a letdown would have to be Fable 2 or Rachet and Clank size matters. i loved the first fable and im buying it off ebay next time i head to the bank so naturally i was expecting good things for fable 2 but nope..i hated every second of it.
    as for rachet and clank size matter's i grew up playing tony hawk and rachet and clank and jak and daxter and sly cooper and all those other good games so when i heard they were making another i was excited only to waste 40$ on it...( it wasn't uploaded anywhere yet and i really wanted to play it ) and the reason why i have such a huge amount of hours on Dragon quest is cuz i used to play it at night, i have a life mind you �_�
    Persona is so beast...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    That's sort of disappointing, I wanted to play Last Story, but never got around to it for some reason. Anything that was specifically bad about it, or was it just mediocre?
    I'd say it was just mediocre. I discussed the major issues in detail over here. Look through it if you're curious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bus From Speed View Post
    TLS anti-hype squad, assemble!
    Reporting for duty, ma'am.

Thanks

I didn't intend for this to be a thread about overrated games. I wanted to talk about games that people were really excited for, and upon playing them, were disappointed by them. I just used Lunar: Dragon Song as an example.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Fair enough, if that's what you want, let's see how many favourite threads can we get, if it gets ridiculous again all will be closed and you'll be punished

And my contribution to the topic, there's probably no major problem with those games but with people who gets too hyped, they need to learn how to control their expectations...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Fair enough, if that's what you want, let's see how many favourite threads can we get, if it gets ridiculous again all will be closed and you'll be punished

And my contribution to the topic, there's probably no major problem with those games but with people who gets too hyped, they need to learn how to control their expectations...

You know that's like an open invitation for me don't you

"what is your favorite brand of shoe" etc.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 15th-October-2011 at 00:43.

Thanks
    EP Points

I remember when I was really into the Jak and Daxter games I heard about the new game J&D The Lost Frontier. It was a huge let down to me though the game is not that bad. I get that it was trying to give a nod to the first Jak and Daxter, but it felt inferior to it and the other two before it. Gunplay was downgraded, platforming was downgraded. To me everything was a step back.

Three more days until Party time!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Having to play the entire game with the stylus did not appeal to me at all. Couldn't get into it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drageuth For This Useful Post: