Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Video games that were a huge Letdown

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I think that Kirby Mass Attack was a letdown...Yet we all knew it would be...

also, Cabela's big game hunter 2012 was a HUGE letdown. =/ Not what i expected at all...

Thanks

White Knight Chronicles, Lost Odyssey, and well, pretty much any JRPG within the past 6 years that hasn't starred Mario.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Someone mentioned FFVIII, I second it somewhat. Love the battle system, hate the story. That was my intro to modern FF games, and wow, it did not meet what I was expecting.

Oh, and Tales of Symphona 2. All the elements for a great game are there...except OH DEAR GOD THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING BUGGY. The voice acting is poorly synched (despite being pretty good), people talk over each other, ect. This is pathetic, this isn't coming from a no name company, it's fucking Namco. Back up your series with quality presentation. At least Abyss was better.

Oh, and lastly, the second half of Tales of Legendia.Oh dear god, that was so preachy and stupid. The first half was stupid, but in a fun way with a giant asshole who beats women as a villain. The second half just thinks it's sooooo insightful when it's just generic and ungodly annoying with how serious it treats itself.

Thanks
    EP Points

Final Fantasy 13, Dead Island, DNF, every Fable game after 1, and New Vegas.

Now of course I already knew DNF was going to suck but my brother rented it anyway. It was nice for a few achievement points, nothing else.

I may easily get an argument going but FF13 sucks. I usually don't mind bubbly Jpop games, but to get from the start to finish I just have to walk down a line which doesn't give me any freedoms for 20 hours. And a problem is that ever since 8 we have overly stupid ditsy characters. There are only 2 ff main character types: an emo git, or an annoying hyperistic spaz. (Okay, not some of the real old ones. You had to put emotion into them and that's what I like about them)

Dead Island is a rough around the edges game that I appreciate for it's fairly great graphics and a huge world, but they fed me frustration with one hand and cake with the other. Dead Island is what it's name implies. Because the island is the zombie's island. (And you'll end up dying a lot if you don't have xbox live -.-)

Fable 2 can be quite memorable in my opinion but It's like 50% of the game time is spent DIGGING. God DAMN! If I wanted to dig so much I'd buy minecraft. As usual peter molyneux overhypes the game and the finished product is still fairly good. Nothing near as good as 1 but still a lovable product.

Why do game devs support the idea of taking away a lot of gameplay mechanics and slimming it down to braindead noobs? I can play this game with 5 of my fingers gone and still not get knocked out. Why did I buy this game? I am a disgrace to the human race. (Fable 3)

I started the fallout series on #2. I enjoyed fallout 3 and I like fallout new vegas for fixing some things but I'd only rate NV a 6.5/10. It's just not that good. Even with hardcore I never felt scared, isolated, or cautious. With fallout 3 I played start to finish on hard difficulty and regularly slept and ate. It created a very compelling atmosphere which truly made me feel like I was in a radioactive wasteland.
    Last edited by eldigato; 29th-October-2011 at 03:30.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Dark Void for PS3. It looked like The Rocketeer, it was cheap, and I thought I remembered it getting great reviews so I excitedly purchased it. Well...now I know three things.

1) The Rocketeer=good
    2)Dark Void=not good
    3) My memory=wrong

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If I may be so bold, I could say the last half of Final Fantasy 6 was a let down. I know, heresy; but I've been playing the game for well over 15 years, and the World of Ruin is where I just lose interest anymore. The World of Balance had plot, it has a direction and motivation, albeit generic. But once you hit the World of Ruin, that all goes out the window as you're left with one objective; KILL THAT DAMN CLOWN.

The game is so open ended that you can quite literally skip every side quest that makes up the whole second half and beat the game with only 3 characters (Celes, Edgar and Setzer, the only ones you NEED to get). Of course it would take a lot of time and effort to grind them up to sufficient levels to pull such a feat off, but it can be done. Aside from making sure you don't die with your three teams of one character, there's little reward in getting your team back. Yeah, you get some new Espers and some character development, but there's no plot. There's no real compelling point to seek them out beyond, as I said, not dying. And for some characters it's not even really WORTH the effort to get them back.

In the end, it's all a bunch of side quests that they glued together instead of trying to make an actual, interesting plot that involves regrouping after the world dun blowed up real good. And that's a huge let down when the first half was plot driven to the point where they took away your airship and then abandoned you on a distant island with only two character to MAKE DAMN WELL SURE that it was followed properly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aeolus Aeneas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I felt the same about the world of ruin, but it didn't bug me so much because the character development was great and the side quests were pretty fun.

Thanks

Well this will probably meet with some hate, but Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. I heard so many people raving about that game, but then when I got it... it felt like an mmo minus any online interaction, and to me hanging online with friends is the only thing that keeps mmos temporarily entertaining.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dedcall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    Someone mentioned FFVIII, I second it somewhat. Love the battle system, hate the story. That was my intro to modern FF games, and wow, it did not meet what I was expecting.

Oh, and Tales of Symphona 2. All the elements for a great game are there...except OH DEAR GOD THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING BUGGY. The voice acting is poorly synched (despite being pretty good), people talk over each other, ect. This is pathetic, this isn't coming from a no name company, it's fucking Namco. Back up your series with quality presentation. At least Abyss was better.
    Oh, and lastly, the second half of Tales of Legendia.Oh dear god, that was so preachy and stupid. The first half was stupid, but in a fun way with a giant asshole who beats women as a villain. The second half just thinks it's sooooo insightful when it's just generic and ungodly annoying with how serious it treats itself.
    My only gripe with this game is that Emil is such a total pussy for 3/4 of the game.

Thanks

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by sleep was disappointing for me. It was fun for a while but I finished Terra's story and never touched another. I started to do Ven's but ended up stopping after that first cut scene. Never played it again.

Silent Hill 2 and 4. I expected a lot out of these two but found myself getting really bored really fast. I know other people love these games but for me I'm just not sure.

Just about every FPS I've ever played. I've never had fun playing FPS games. Its no secret. Back in the day, Duke Nukem and Doom were fun but then stuff like halo and call of duty came out and the laws of what I thought were reality broke. Standing still does not fix fatal wounds -.-
    I had fun with left 4 dead and Fallout 3 and that's about it

Thanks

unfortunately id have to say ffvii was a let down for me but probably cus i grew up with ff8 and 9

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by dana1791 View Post
    unfortunately id have to say ffvii was a let down for me but probably cus i grew up with ff8 and 9
    Lol and here we go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    I've gotten flack for this before, but I still say Dragon Quest 9 for the DS. The series has always been rooted in tradition and likes to take elements from past games, but 9 literally felt like it was stitched together from previous games and had offered nothing new at all*.

I don't know, maybe I'm just crazy. Everybody else seems to love the game...

* Yes, technically the system to change the way your characters look was new. But you see, that has nothing to do with the actual gameplay and plot. It's all aesthetic and therefore doesn't add anything new to the game.
    Yes! I agree. Although I'm still having fun with it at the moment. The story has holes everywhere and what I mean by holes is, it's barely stitched together (you said something similar). I liked how you could see the enemies though, I've become sick of random battles. I'm looking forward to the online part of it (waiting for a dongle in the mail so I can do NDS online stuff... hopefully it works and/or is worth it).

Final Fantasy X was a huge let down for me. I bought a PS2 along with that one game. I started playing it and the voices put me off. I left it for years and only got around to playing it 2 years ago. I gave it a good decent go. The story was rubbish and I found it very hard to get into. I wasn't into the visuals much either. I think I like the distortion of the previous Final Fantasy games, how the characters look less than human (leaves more for my imagination to fill in the gaps). Anyway, I disliked the game and haven't finished it. Too much drama, too quick.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 2nd-November-2011 at 10:42. Reason: Please, use the EDIT button instead of double posting.

Thanks

Devil May Cry 2

Thanks

Ok, well now that I've actually put some time into RE4 (I know, 6 years later) I can say with zero bias that its turning out to be a disappointment. Not as a game, as I do find it a bit addictive, but as an RE title…I just don’t feel like I’m playing a Resident Evil game. Puzzles are nil, and what’s with enemies running at you and then suddenly pacing themselves rather than pouncing on you? I had trouble passing the first village area, but since everything seems too easy.