Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some cool import games with English translations?

Thanks

Default What are some cool import games with English translations?

I've been playing Bahamut Lagoon, an SNES RPG that was only released in Japan, on my SNES emulator. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any other good Japan or Europe-only ROMS that have translated into English.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A Europe only ROM would be in English already, silly.

And, http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...Suggest+a+game

Thanks
    EP Points

^This^
    Also, first to SMT games for SNES, get them from the main site.

Thanks
    EP Points

In game or translation patches?

Supreme Warrior Guest

you want a list of great games with english Translations?

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/

one of my fav translation groups is Aeon Genesis, http://agtp.romhack.net/

and as for a cool game I can think off the top of my head, this should suffice,

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1467/

Brave battle saga, its a taiwanese RPG that is pretty cool despite not being of japanese origin

Thanks

Oh, yeah... Kinda forgot about that... XP
    And thanks for the link, by the way!

Uh, both, I guess?
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 14th-October-2011 at 19:01. Reason: Please, don't double post, use the EDIT button.

Thanks
    EP Points

There is also MoeMon (a rom hack)

and there are a ton of patches on GBAtemp, like the Super Robot Wars games.

Thanks

There's too much, so I'm going to mention what I think stands out.

First though, to get this out of the way, the major RPG franchise Translations:
    NES:
    Final Fantasy II - also ported on the GBA with 1, PS1 with 1 as well, I believe, on the PSP, and who knows where else it's been ported in English by now?

Final Fantasy III - ported to the DS in English, in 3D

Ys & Ys II - these action RPG's are ported all over the place as well. In particular I think both modern handhelds have ports(I know the PSP has both games on 1 disc in English anyway).

SNES:
    Final Fantasy V - also in English on the PS1(with 6 on the same disc), GBA, and I don't know where else

Dragon Quest V - DS

Dragon Quest VI - DS, and apparently 10% more complete at that

Ys IV - probably the only one mentioned that doesn't have an official English port somewhere. Plus it's the other side of a coin, as there's a completely different game called Ys IV on the Turbo CD/PC Engine CD that also has a fan translation.

Now, to what really sticks out as great translated games:
    NES:
    Akumajou Densetsu 3 - Castlevania 3, but superior in many ways

Cosmo Police Galivan - even though it's by stage, it's essentially Castlevania Symphony of the Night as a NES game.

Go Go! Nekketsu Hockey Club(Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey Bu: Subette Koronde Dai Rantou) & Nekketsu Street Basket - Go For It(Ganbare) Dunk Heroes - I'm not into sports, but these titles see you wailing on the opposing team just as much as you're trying to score points.

Silva Saga - A damn good Dragon Quest/Warrior clone, even if you're not into DQ/W's style.

Technos Samurai: Downtown Special(Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou!) - a samurai era sequel to River City Ransom

Genesis:
    Bare Knuckle III - a better Streets of Rage III

Monster World IV - another quasi-metroidvania, it's done in stages as well, but you're ability to proceed is dependent on the growth of your pet.

SNES:
    Alcahest - unique combination of arcade and adventure/RPG

Feda: The Emblem of Justice - a Shining Force style SRPG with a morality system.

King of Demons(Majuu Ou) - A really dark action platformer

Mega Man & Bass(Rockman & Forte) - maybe not worth a mention as it's already in English for the GBA, but for fans of the series...

Seiken Densetsu 3 - action RPG in the Seiken Densetsu/(___) of Mana series. The only one I know of that gives you some freedom of choice in your characters stat growth.

Star Ocean - now has a PSP port, action RPG with random battles, the largest SNES game as far as I can tell.

Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium - obviously for wrestling fans, not so impressive by modern standars, but this was an SNES game that allowed you to create 80 wrestlers, had over 100 built in, had something like over 500 moves to choose from in it's C-A-W, and just overall was an impressive feat for it's day.

Tales of Phantasia - also on the GBA with an extra playable character, similar, in a lot of ways, to Star Ocean, but also the beginning of the whole Tales of (____) series

Tenchi Muyo - SRPG based off the anime series, that sees the character who gets the required number of kill shots increase in level. Also stage choices that see new recruits to the team as you make the right stage choices.

Treasure Hunter G - RPG with a unique mix of strategy and real time battle system.

Game Boy:
    For the Frog the Bell Tolls(Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru) - short RPG, with side scrolling action, in which the main character transforms between 3 forms. It's said to be the engine used for the side scrolling sections in the Game Boy Zelda games.

Grandia: Parallel Trippers - a recent translation, this one sees you use cards to learn new spells/attack skills, you interact with the world in more of an action adventure(Zelda and it's ilk) kind of way, and you get to use characters from the original Grandia on the PS1.

Gen the Carpenter(Daiku no Gen-san: Kachikachi no Tonkachi ga Kachi) - for those that like the Hammerin' Harry/Daiku no Gen-san series, this one has more puzzle elements than usual.

TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine:
    Photograph Boy(Gekisha Boy) - Honestly, this is one of the most fun games that ever got a translation. As a photographer, your goal is to take as many odd pictures as possible. Your boss wants you to take a specific picture, which isn't always necessary, but does go a long way in reaching your real goal, scoring the required points needed to move on to the next stage. There are also flashing red obstacles/enemies that try to get in your way, that you can either shoot a picture of to "kill," or try to avoid/jump over. using the film on them might be the better overall choice though, because you'll lose 5 pieces of film if you're hit. Overall, just a really fun game.

Tower of Druaga - not a personal favorite of mine, but I thought I'd mention it because this game kind of explains a certain optional dungeon in Tales of Phantasia, also by Namco. You climb the floors by using the hint that the princess gives you before each level, to figure out what you need to do to get to the exit.

That's about the absolute best of rom transations. There are tons of others, you'll just have to try and see what you like for yourself at romhacking.net.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Midnightrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

i know metal slug 6 was only in japan but is there a translation patch for the game on an emulator

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Fire Emblem VI for the GBA, especially if you've played FEVII which is a prequel to the aforementioned game. Oh, and Der Langrisser for the SNES. The dialogue may be utterly disappointing for some pathes, but fucking hell is it awesome.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

SaGa 2 Hihō Densetsu: Goddess of Destiny on the DS (actually a remake of Final Fantasy Legend II). Good stuff. Well, at least I enjoyed it.

Front Mission 5: Scars of the War on the PS2.

Tales of Innocence on DS.

And many more already mentioned above.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by resident evil2 nemesis View Post
    i know metal slug 6 was only in japan but is there a translation patch for the game on an emulator
    There was Metal Slug 6 in Metal Slug Anthology for the PS2
    I saw. I came. She slapped me.

Thanks

Just to get this out there, anything non-RPG/adventure doesn't necessarily need a translation. I used to play a later variation of the wrestling game I brought up in the previous post, and that had tons of menus, more create modes, etc. Granted there was something of a translation document at GameFAQs, but really it was just memorizing the menus. A lot of Japanese games won't even have that many menu items, and there are times when, even if they do, they're already in English.

As long as you're not playing something RPG/adventure-ish, you should be able to proceed in just about any Japanese game.

Thanks

You'll find some good ones in the Famicom Disk System section. I'm playing Lutter (Simple game, a mix of Rpg elements and Lode Runner), Seiken - Psycho Calibre (Zelda 1-like game, strange and interesting), and Ai Senshi Nicol (not translated, doesn't need to be, 'iz like an overhead shooter.)
    Rabid Media Online!
    Check out original artwork and games by ME!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kumagko View Post
    There was Metal Slug 6 in Metal Slug Anthology for the PS2
    i know but im trying to find the standalone one the one with the combat school on it