Thread: Intel confidential Processor

Thanks

Question Intel confidential Processor

Ive come accross a intel confidential processor and upon googling have discovered that other people also have them and i was wondering how common they are?

the one ive got is a 3.16GHz Intel Xeon

Thanks
    EP Points

Confidential? They're just processors intended for servers...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Is it the 3.16GHz Intel Xeon X5460?

Server processor that's been around for nearly 4 years or something.
    Quad core, 1333 MHz bus and 2 x 6MB L2 Cache.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Confidential? They're just processors intended for servers...
    It has intel confidential writen on top of it, normal ones dont, from what i found out other people also have intel processors with that writen on top of them that are not xeons. Apparently processors with that writen on top are engineering samples or beta versions and arent surpose to be avaliable to the public.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by joe blogs View Post
    It has intel confidential writen on top of it, normal ones dont, from what i found out other people also have intel processors with that writen on top of them that are not xeons. Apparently processors with that writen on top are engineering samples or beta versions and arent surpose to be avaliable to the public.
    But you already said yours is a xeon

Ive come accross a intel confidential processor and upon googling have discovered that other people also have them and i was wondering how common they are?

the one ive got is a 3.16GHz Intel Xeon

From what I can work out, processors marked "confidential" aren't covered by a warranty (I think).
    Last edited by deadlegion; 13th-October-2011 at 06:23.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

still its a bit of a novelty, apparently from what ive read intel some times offer a award for the return of these, some also have a unlocked mulitiplier �_� do you reckon it would be worth me trying to find a mother board for it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

still its a bit of a novelty, apparently from what ive read intel some times offer a award for the return of these, some also have a unlocked mulitiplier �_� do you reckon it would be worth me trying to find a mother board for it?
    Those CPU's are intended for reviewers and engineers, personally I would not use it, unlike older Intels back in the Pentium 4 days newer Engi Samples are sometimes rather crap and have shit disabled or not built to last as long as a retail one.

As for trying to find a motherboard for it, well its your call but I doubt it would be worth it

It's not where you are, but where you've been that matters
    Thanks

Maybe the whole 'confidential' term is just to identify it and set it apart, make people want to buy it. EVGA does something like this with some of their mobo's and gpu's calling their special editions' "classified".