Thread: Hey I'm new and need some help/advice

Thanks

Default Hey I'm new and need some help/advice

Ok so I downloaded Final Fantasy Tactics (Original English Dubbed Version) to emulate on my PC. Now I got all the programs installed and everything has been properly addressed. This is how far I have gotten;

Downloaded Daemon Tools
    Downloaded ePSXe
    Downloaded Final Fantasy Tactics
    Downloaded ECM Tools

1. Changed the Final Fantasy Tactics.bin.ecm to Final Fantasy Tactics.bin using ECM Tools
    2. Installed the Plugins and Bios systems for ePSXe.
    3. Went through the config setup and completed it.
    4. Took the .ccd/.cue image and mounted it using Daemon Tools to Virtual Drive G:\ (However nothing is in the drive when I open it)
    5. Tried to run the game using ePSXe by going to File, RunCDROM and selecting the G:\ drive, yet nothing comes up and all I get is a black screen with my controller in the top right corner.
    6. I have downloaded PakkISO, however I cannot use any of the files because they just open and disappear on me. (WTF am I supposed to do with this?)

The game doesn't have any APE files nor am I burning it to a disc. I strictly want to play this on my computer.

OK so i've never done this before. IS the game SUPPOSED to be in a .BIN file? Also referencing to the guide it said that I had to "extract and compile" everything...in which that made me think that I did something wrong. When I open the G:\ drive there is nothing inside but the title says Final Fantasy Tactics. I have gone over the guide multiple times and have gone through each step numerous times, yet I still cannot play the game. Do I have to convert the .BIN file to an .ISO image to play the game? Do I have to have something IN that Virtual Drive to be able to play the game?

Can someone help me by explaining what am I doing wrong? If there is something that I have missed please let me know.

EDIT: I got it to work by choosing runISO and selecting the .bin file by going to the FFT folder and selecting the .BIN file.

Can someone still please let me know how to run it in CDROM mode? As I stated before, the Virtual Drive DOES NOT have the .bin file or ANYTHING in it.
    Last edited by meganova; 3rd-October-2011 at 16:39. Reason: merge double posts

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    to get D-Tools working with ePSXe you need to install the SPTD drivers that come with D-Tools/Advanced Emulation enabled
    all I could find man.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

all of the above sounds right, from what i've seen not all of the games are in .ecm format so thats no problem, and yeah they usually come in .iso .bin format, just run the .bin and things should run like normal

on the topic of file types (should you have questions about other types), if it comes with a .ecm file then use ecm tools to unecm it, for some games like breath of fire III that come with 3 files (a .ccd, .sub, and disc image) run the disc image file, for iso, i don't exactly remember as i haven't used that type much lately but should be able to simply load the .iso file to play that type, i think... yeah, that works for .iso files (i do that for ps2 games)

Thanks
    EP Points

Choose to "View Hidden Files" on the Folder Options, and see whether if there any files on that drive.

Also, try set your Cdrom Plugin as ePSXe CDR WNT/W2k Core, configure and select the right drive letter for the mounted image file.
    Then run the game again with Run CDROM.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

SPDT is the key to using Daemon Tools nowerdays

as it happens FFT will run fine from RunISO but not all games do, so still best to get Daemon Tools working

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Why don't you use the Emulators "Run ISO" Option at the file menu?
    Your file Should be in a .ISO, .BIN, .IMG, .CCD, .MDS File format.
    Cue works but need's to be edited in a text editor with the correct information, But not necessary most of the time.
    In this case it isn't necessary. Just Download the iso from here:http://www.emuparadise.me/cgi-bin/download1.cgi?psx-fft extract archive, open epsxe, go to file, run iso, and select the iso file.
    Any other problems might be your video or CDROM plugins. Adjust accordingly!

DAMEN TOOLS is NOT REQUIRED to run epsxe at all!
    Last edited by Fantasy Lord; 3rd-October-2011 at 18:40.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Lord View Post
    DAMEN TOOLS is NOT REQUIRED to run epsxe at all!
    It is if you are running a multi disc game with cdda tracks or any multi disc game in ePSXe 1.7.0 that does not have an end of disc save... e.g. Metal Gear Solid

There are other compat reasons aswell to use D-Tools though they are reasonably uncommon also some of the FMV freeze up ect can be fixed just by using a mounted CD image instead of running it directly through ePSXe and other minor hickups

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elidibs View Post
    4. Took the .ccd/.cue image and mounted it using Daemon Tools to Virtual Drive G:\ (However nothing is in the drive when I open it)
    This is probably your problem. In Daemon Tools, go to Add File, then at the bottom of the Open window you should see a pulldown that says [All Images (*.mdx;*.mdx;*.b5t)]. Go to the bottom of that where it says All Files (*.*). Now you should be able to find your .BIN in the main window. See if mounting the .bin works.

Some games need to be mounted from the .ccd/.cue files. Some games are better ran from the .bin/.img/.iso file.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    It is if you are running a multi disc game with cdda tracks or any multi disc game in ePSXe 1.7.0 that does not have an end of disc save... e.g. Metal Gear Solid

There are other compat reasons aswell to use D-Tools though they are reasonably uncommon also some of the FMV freeze up ect can be fixed just by using a mounted CD image instead of running it directly through ePSXe and other minor hickups

I never had any problems playing any games and multi disc games, and I've completed Metal Gear Solid Without "Daemon Tools" using just the emulator's iso load command!
    Besides, I never played a "multi disc" game where it didn't ask me to save after finishing one. Even though, the emulator allows players to swap disc at any time! When your asked to change disc's, press esc (escape) on the keyboard, click file, move the cursor to "change disc" and select the source. If you have a actual copy (Disc used on real console) eject the disc and swap it for the next one, then click "CDROM" If you have a digital copy (iso, bin, img, etc.) click "ISO" and select the next disc to be loaded.
    That's all! This has never failed ME before.
    Last edited by Fantasy Lord; 15th-October-2011 at 01:22.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Lord View Post
    I . Even though, the emulator allows players to swap disc at any time! When your asked to change disc's, press esc (escape) on the keyboard, click file, move the cursor to "change disc" and select the source. If you have a actual copy (Disc used on real console) eject the disc and swap it for the next one, then click "CDROM" If you have a digital copy (iso, bin, img, etc.) click "ISO" and select the next disc to be loaded.
    That's all! This has always failed before.
    Many of our members including myself have tried this method and had it not work so CONGRATS you have won the million dollar prize of an epsxe 1.7.0 with a non broken swap disc feature.

also fixed your above post to reflect the majority of users...not hating on you man I'm actually glad swap disc works for someone cause it doesn't for the majority of users.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.