Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Classic Gaming Obsession, Nostalgia, or niche interest? Has this happened to you?

Thanks

I personally love playing old games. Something about playing an old game that no one you know has played in years is very gratifying. It makes it more personal

Thanks

Old games while the graphics are ancient, it's easy to shrug that off since the game isn't about the looks (which people have forgotten about). The one thing I've discovered in old games is that they're far more fun and interesting than the stuff they seem to chuck out every few months.

I mean yeah, it looks awesome, but if you can beat it in one or two days or even a few hours, it lacks alot. Old games take weeks or even months to beat since the gameplay and plot is better than the newer ones. I like playing both modern games and old games but in the end... the older games are what always have me coming back.

You would assume that games would get better over the years, not worse... but if that was the case, I suppose those of us who enjoy the old games wouldn't be enjoying the old games.

Thanks

I wouldn't say it was a thing of better/worse so much as a certain style to retro/modern. Side scrolling has a style to it, that is a lot different to running around in a 360 degree 3D world.

Noticed "realism" being brought up. I just read an article yesterday that brought that up. If gaming ever had any true realism, it would be like: your character would wake up, you'd have them walk to the bathroom to relieve their waste, shave, shower, get dressed, go downstairs, eat breakfast, drive to mundane job, do mundane job for 8 hours, come back home, do whatever little recreation is left and go back to sleep to start Tuesday off the same way. If people really wanted realism, do you think that game would be played a whole hell of a lot?

Thanks
    EP Points

lol at the post above. it reminds me of the sims.

Back on topic, another thing I really love about retro consoles is that they used carts and not cd's. games either had no loading time or had little loading time when on a cartridge and unless you took a hammer or something to it, cartridges would last way longer than a cd which can get scratches or cracks. cd's are way more fragile than carts and sometimes it takes a good while to load. Plus cars were easier to insert into a console. the nintendo ds and 3ds are making good use of it and loading .ISO's off a memstick of a psp works way better than an actual umd. Dissidia Duodecim takes a long time to load off a umd, but off of a memory stick, there's no loading time. Solid state memory for games was better in my opinion.
    As every thread of gold is valuable, so is every moment of time.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kamianbu View Post
    Old games while the graphics are ancient, it's easy to shrug that off since the game isn't about the looks (which people have forgotten about). The one thing I've discovered in old games is that they're far more fun and interesting than the stuff they seem to chuck out every few months.

I mean yeah, it looks awesome, but if you can beat it in one or two days or even a few hours, it lacks alot. Old games take weeks or even months to beat since the gameplay and plot is better than the newer ones. I like playing both modern games and old games but in the end... the older games are what always have me coming back.
    this is exactly why i tend to keep going back to games from N64 or older, so far i've only purchased 2-4 games this year the rest are just what i download and play across various emulators. another thing about older games is sometimes it can be harder to get things like guides or other helpful stuff, sometimes MUCH harder than newer games (going back to digging through sega full romset )

just remembered something, i wonder how good a game they could make with snes/genesis graphics on something like xbox360/wii/ps3, it may not have the best graphics but i imagine they could make some massive games that way (especially if they make the cutscenes like the old equivilants seen in games like phantasy star IV, that'd add to the space they could use for other things)
    Last edited by treos; 3rd-October-2011 at 16:24.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm currently playing "Realms of the Haunting" an old MS-Dos game (got it on GoG.com pre configured for modern pc's) and been really enjoying it

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    just remembered something, i wonder how good a game they could make with snes/genesis graphics on something like xbox360/wii/ps3, it may not have the best graphics but i imagine they could make some massive games that way (especially if they make the cutscenes like the old equivilants seen in games like phantasy star IV, that'd add to the space they could use for other things)
    You have no idea how much I want a 100+ hour Super Metroid game. Super Metroid ~1.6 MB. PS2 zipped ISO ~3 GB. seems like 2000 times as much data to work with. Think of Final Fantasy 6, with 2000 times more play time!

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Like Zal, I like both old and new games. Never really understood the whole "all new games suck, retro was so much better" mentality. In my eyes, there were good games back then and there are good games now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZuNinja View Post
    lol at the post above. it reminds me of the sims.
    I actually was going to make a crack about The Sims, but at least it only simulates the hours. It doesn't actually make you do whatever the job is for 8 hours straight. You just have the family members go out and do whatever they do. Still, it is one of the highest selling PC games in recent times. Not sure what that says for gamers as a whole. The thought of it alone puts me to sleep...

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    I'm currently playing "Realms of the Haunting" an old MS-Dos game (got it on GoG.com pre configured for modern pc's) and been really enjoying it
    You know, the funny thing is I just read Abandonia's 2nd magazine, and they took a look at that game, and the history of horror gaming in general.

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    You have no idea how much I want a 100+ hour Super Metroid game. Super Metroid ~1.6 MB. PS2 zipped ISO ~3 GB. seems like 2000 times as much data to work with. Think of Final Fantasy 6, with 2000 times more play time!
    It comes down to what they do with the sound. you'd have that if they stuck to 16-bit chiptune sounds, but if they use modern techniques, sound can take up much more space than you realize. Just as an example of what I mean, let's take Street Fighter III: 3rd Impact. The arcade rom is maybe ~60 megs, with an ~70 meg chd file, so about 130 megs overall. on the Dreamcast it takes up a lot of, if not the whole, 1 gigabyte disc(at least 750 megabytes). The video is exactly the same, but now on the Dreamcast it has CD/Disc quality audio. It would come down to whether they were willing to work with outdated compression techniques to make a game like you're wishing for(which they never would, but still).

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Like Zal, I like both old and new games. Never really understood the whole "all new games suck, retro was so much better" mentality. In my eyes, there were good games back then and there are good games now.
    That's why I say it the way that I do. I just prefer the retro style, I don't think either way is superior, I just know which one I like better.

Thanks

Personally, I enjoy retro games as much as the next person (I was born into the NES era, citing that the Fat Gameboy was my best friend, lol); however, I think I play for nostalgia sake more than anything else. Retro games remind me of a time when gaming was fresh and new. Who can remember the awesomeness of Street Fighter 2? The difficulty of Contra? Gaining new weapons for Megaman in every series? Its games like this that reminds me why I liked to game. My greatest achievement is being able to fit my whole gaming childhood into my PSPGo. Now if only I could get the MAMEs to work on it.

X

Thanks

I also play the old games often, mostly the SNES & PSX RPGs. Probably 'cause it's bringing back some childhood memories. (and because they rock!)

While playing with simple graphics I'm forced to use my imagination to "see" the games surroundings. Something like "How could this 20-bits-Tree look in 3d?". Consequently the game is played in my "mind-made world". For me that's a big advantage of retro games.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adramelech52 View Post
    I also play the old games often, mostly the SNES & PSX RPGs. Probably 'cause it's bringing back some childhood memories. (and because they rock!)

While playing with simple graphics I'm forced to use my imagination to "see" the games surroundings. Something like "How could this 20-bits-Tree look in 3d?". Consequently the game is played in my "mind-made world". For me that's a big advantage of retro games.
    110% agree...lets not forget about some of the great genesis rpgs like shining force and phantasy star aswell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by White Zombie View Post
    110% agree...lets not forget about some of the great genesis rpgs like shining force and phantasy star aswell
    I'm playing shining force right now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Much to my shame, I've never been a fan of turn-based RPGs. They are good games, but never been my cup of tea, not even now.
    I grew up in the DOS/PC era and didn't play consoles. My first console is the Dreamcast which I've got in 2001, but I've been playing PS1 games on Connectix Virtual Game Station and then epsxe. I play retro for nostalgia and also because they have that certain magic, I also play games that I never played before and end up enjoying them.
    I have a small CRT TV for my retro kicks and a shelf full of consoles and a bunch of games.
    Mine's not an obsession, but it's for nostalgia and for a different experiance, which I love.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Englebert3rd View Post
    Much to my shame, I've never been a fan of turn-based RPGs. They are good games, but never been my cup of tea, not even now.
    Nothing to be ashamed of, you like what you like, that's it. I've outgrown the genre myself. what I like in gaming these days does not revolve around storytelling. A huge part of why I prefer the 2D era.

That said, you mentioned having a Dreamcast, I will say give Grandia 2 a go. For a turn based game, the battle system sometimes feels action-ish.

Plus, overall fans of the genre and classic gaming have it the best, since what do you think is more likely to get a fan translation at romhacking.net?