Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Classic Gaming Obsession, Nostalgia, or niche interest? Has this happened to you?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by unnoticedninja View Post
    I like new games and old games, its just that it takes a lot more research to find the best games for current gen since they haven't had 15-20+ years for people to play and review the best games. Indie games are some of the most amazing games I've ever played, but you really have to look them up and decide for yourself whether or not a certain type of game appeals to you.

Good point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DARKLINKY View Post
    If you dont own 360 or ps3 why do you own borderlands? lol
    PC, Steam. I bought Borderlands for Steam due to a friend wanting to play it with me. It didn't do much for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by White Zombie View Post
    who cares what others thinki. im a classic gamer too and the l;ast system i owned was a dreamcast...older games are better cuz its not all about online and trophies. im with ya on this one. yer fine you have your own prefrences and if people cant respect that then screwem
    *thumbs up* Dreamcast was my last system too lol. I only regret not getting it while it still had online services. But yeah, I agree. Classic gaming is the stuff.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 1st-October-2011 at 00:18. Reason: Use the EDIT button!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by White Zombie View Post
    who cares what others thinki. im a classic gamer too and the l;ast system i owned was a dreamcast...older games are better cuz its not all about online and trophies. im with ya on this one. yer fine you have your own prefrences and if people cant respect that then screwem
    I can dig this. Big time. I also think DLC is a problem. LOL @ Gears 3 shitstorm

Thanks

I somewhat concur with the original post. It's just that I think I might be kind of outgrowing it all. Have a hard time remembering the last time I actually wanted to play something(outside of some freeware PC puzzle games or something). If I force myself though, I do stick with it. When I do feel like it though, not even the 5th generation(N64, PS1, Saturn) for me(or even the previous disc generation like Sega and Turbo CD). Couldn't care less for 3D. That's not nostalgia speaking for me, because I don't care for RPG's/adventures anymore either, so there goes some of the titles I grew up with, like Zelda, Castlevania 2, Metroid, etc. If it were a thing of nostalgia, I'd never be able to game without those.

In my case, I just like the 2D style better, and the fact that, if you can beat 'em, you can beat like 8 games in the time it takes you to get through 1 nowadays(also my issues with RPG's and whatnot).

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It has definitely occured to me how much I would love to play the Binding of Isaac with that gray rectangle in my hand.

But let me turn you on to some newer gaming enjoyment. I am a complete freaking nerd when it comes to anything that let's you customize your gear, especially like Star Wars KotoR 2 where you can attach any upgrade module to any weapon. I ended up with a lightsaber that does 6 types of damage so nobody could resist my attack.

I like new games that re-examine old themes. Metroid: Zero Mission on the Game Boy Advance starts you out in the classic metroid map with updated graphics and the next thing you know, you're turning into a morph-ball and shine charging through the next 2 screens. The Binding of Isaac I mentioned above takes classic Legend of Zelda dungeons, complete with shops, puzzles, and bosses, and turns it into a randomized, religious-themed kill-fest.

And I definitely enjoy newer shooters. Mainly because once you learn where enemies appear, in Turok for instance, you always know where they are going to appear. Suddenly there is no challenge. I got through the water caverns in Goldeneye on 00 Agent without taking any damage after I knew how to hide behind railings and shoot the guards without alerting a guard 1 metre away from them. Now in Left 4 Dead, placement is random for the most part. The maps are the same, but where the Witch appears is different each time you play through.

Just a couple ideas to pique your interest in newer games.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightrider View Post
    I somewhat concur with the original post. It's just that I think I might be kind of outgrowing it all. Have a hard time remembering the last time I actually wanted to play something(outside of some freeware PC puzzle games or something). If I force myself though, I do stick with it. When I do feel like it though, not even the 5th generation(N64, PS1, Saturn) for me(or even the previous disc generation like Sega and Turbo CD). Couldn't care less for 3D. That's not nostalgia speaking for me, because I don't care for RPG's/adventures anymore either, so there goes some of the titles I grew up with, like Zelda, Castlevania 2, Metroid, etc. If it were a thing of nostalgia, I'd never be able to game without those.

In my case, I just like the 2D style better, and the fact that, if you can beat 'em, you can beat like 8 games in the time it takes you to get through 1 nowadays(also my issues with RPG's and whatnot).
    Same here about feeling like I've outgrown most gaming. I get excited about setting up my gaming rigs in different ways, (projector in the basement and finally getting a flat screen for the living room,) but then I don't really feel like playing anything. I guilt trip myself about it sometimes, which is ridiculous, but it's just not the same as it was when I was a kid.

I think it has to do with how much external control you have to deal with when you're young; I mean, not only the physical constraints but also your sense of right and wrong is much simpler. Video games were like this perfect escape from all that. Now after turning my mind inside out with drugs and alcohol and seeing how vague and ambiguous reality can be; not to mention that nobody's telling me what to do or when to go to bed, it's not like making Mario run around on a TV screen gives the same kind of thrill it once did when all of my choices were forced on me.

Thanks
    EP Points

i sum it up in one reason: people like my step brother who thinks games should be realistic and uncreative because that has no place in society. yeah, being uncreative is what got us this far. i hate how this gen is mostly graphics, hell i didnt enjoy a few rpgs because they were to short with alot of filler and didnt even tell a story just gave you a point to point with a few cutscenes. i find myself playing star ocean 2 more than 4, even though its the psp remake its still the original. plus i hate how they remake the shit out of old games, especially for playstation 1 games. honestly i play my ps1 games on my psp more than my ps2 or the 360. and the hours i have logged on ffx, persona 3 fes, persona 4 alone equal more than 200 hours of gameplay logged on them, while star ocean 4 on the 360 just has 60 and at the end of the game and that is the longest i have played a game on this gen which is sad. now for handhelds, i play them, the ds systems are just rehashing what is already out so i just will stick with the psp even though thats also rehashing. i really hate how they rehash the shit games while the gems are not remade.

edit: oh yeah i am the guy that hates every single ipod and ipad out there and will never own one! btw someone send me a pm on how angry birds is the best downloaded game?
    Last edited by garrendesares; 2nd-October-2011 at 03:24.

Thanks

Actually, I've been more into gaming recently than I used to. All these new games that have been released kind of revived my gaming interest. My NES collection is probably the largest that I own, but I don't really play them anymore. Although, I guess the main reason for that is my NES died on me after using rubbing alcohol to clean it out (my sister and I were around 8 years old and had little knowledge of video games and technology back then, and my parents, at least my dad anyway, didn't read instructions most of the time). Still, I don't think I would pick up most of those games and play them these days. Newer games have gotten better at grabbing my attention and holding on to it, and that's why I prefer to play those more often. I'll go back and play some old games every now and then, but the ones I still play are ones that I really like.

Thanks

I just feel that this generation is too focused on trying to push the technology further. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but most game's seem to ignore core components like gameplay and story. Final Fantasy XIII is a perfect example of this. The game looks amazing, but has a lackluster story and the gameplay is terrible(Not to mention many other problems). Compared to something like Persona 4 where the graphics aren't so great, but the game is extremely fun to play. I just wish more games would focus less on technical feats and more on innovative gameplay.
    Living life without doing what you want, now that's just a recipe for misery

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Same here about feeling like I've outgrown most gaming. I get excited about setting up my gaming rigs in different ways, (projector in the basement and finally getting a flat screen for the living room,) but then I don't really feel like playing anything. I guilt trip myself about it sometimes, which is ridiculous, but it's just not the same as it was when I was a kid.

I think it has to do with how much external control you have to deal with when you're young; I mean, not only the physical constraints but also your sense of right and wrong is much simpler. Video games were like this perfect escape from all that. Now after turning my mind inside out with drugs and alcohol and seeing how vague and ambiguous reality can be; not to mention that nobody's telling me what to do or when to go to bed, it's not like making Mario run around on a TV screen gives the same kind of thrill it once did when all of my choices were forced on me.
    I'm 50-50 with you.
    I always stood away from drugs and alcohol but it's true that while I enjoy gaming I just don't get that kick.

The kick does come in when I see an old game/console that I missed out on in good state.
    As a kid I missed out on 95% of what videogames were, tabletop and portable so now that I'm older I got myself an N64, PS2... maybe a Dreamcast will be next!

There are still some things... such as Rock Band and Mushihime-sama that keep me entertained for quite a while, though.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by IPITYTHEFOOLZ View Post
    I just feel that this generation is too focused on trying to push the technology further. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but most game's seem to ignore core components like gameplay and story. Final Fantasy XIII is a perfect example of this. The game looks amazing, but has a lackluster story and the gameplay is terrible(Not to mention many other problems). Compared to something like Persona 4 where the graphics aren't so great, but the game is extremely fun to play. I just wish more games would focus less on technical feats and more on innovative gameplay.
    i wonder what kikyo would look like with 360 graphics. or how about rise?

Thanks

I prefer the older systems for several reason. To me, games on the older consoles couldn't allow major bugs to in the game because you couldn't fix them after production. Yes there are those infamous games like E.T. on the Atari 2600, but in general, games had less bugs in them. For every game I bought for the PS3, I couldn't even play them until a patch was released to fix the problem. After buying 3 games and hearing about all these new games basically being open betas you pay for, I have decided to not bother with this current gen.

Next is the graphics. During the SNES/Genesis era, there came a point where the graphics were in the "good enough" category (at least to me). With everyone using the simpler graphic methods, you had to create a better game instead of relying on making it look prettier than the competition. With the modern games, it takes a lot more work to make it up to standard graphics. With all that effort, you'll run into more problems that will actually take you out of the game than immerse you. Yes, the game looks realistic, so realistic, that that guy just stood there taking the hits instead of running to cover or crouching to avoid your shots. Now you just saw something that was unrealistic, taking you out of the game. I'm all saying is, realistic graphics can cripple a game more often than help it.

I currently have a PS2 and I'm sticking with it. The graphics are beyond good enough for me and a lot of my collection is still worth going back to every now and then. I also still enjoy the story of the older games like Phantasy Star 4. I rarely play them anymore because I beat them to death, but I still enjoy the story they gave, which is much better than having the memory of hating a game for being so bad.

Thanks

I think there are many great games being made right now, good graphics or not, but until maybe another 2-5 generations of consoles when graphics reaches its "peak" (so good that people don't feel like making better graphics because it already looks better/equal to real life), until companies stop trying to out-tech each other and start working on making all of their games with great gameplay and storyline, although with so many games out from the beginning of gaming, originality takes a lot more work these days since a lot of great ideas have already been made into games.

Thanks

The years that I've been gaming have been long, well 26 to be more accurate, I've enjoyed more of the past than anything. Ever since I was young I started with the classic Atari 2600 but the NES has been one to stick, well anything Nintendo before the N64 to be in fact. The replay I get out of playing the old platformers and rpgs has been immense over the years, nothing to what I get out of the newer systems. I will say though, Nintendo has churned some classic franchises out and kept a nice solid pace on them as well as keeping them to evolve in gameplay and not as much graphically as their competitors have done. I still enjoy picking up on some Super Mario Bros. 1, Kirby's Adventure, and Secret of Evermore time to time. These games still generate the way I wanted a game to be just as when they were originally released. I have a love for the classics and still will pick up a newer title from time to time though. It's the whole brilliance as said by Mr. Nemo to play a game without glitching and patches and to have a much more richer experience. Going on about the newer generation of titles does thrill me at times but with age, I want more gameplay and especially mobility. Mobility comes into the factor with the wonderful world of ROMS so I can always play my classic titles on the go and have the ability to save when I need to on the fly. It's this that newer games cannot bring out so much and one of the many reasons why classic gaming sticks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post

I like new games that re-examine old themes. Metroid: Zero Mission on the Game Boy Advance starts you out in the classic metroid map with updated graphics and the next thing you know, you're turning into a morph-ball and shine charging through the next 2 screens.
    my absolute favorite game ever...score!