Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Classic Gaming Obsession, Nostalgia, or niche interest? Has this happened to you?

Thanks

i consider myself a classic gamer the most current console i own is a ps2 with my passion being collecting nintendo stuff that being nes,snes,n64,gamboy,gameboy color etc etc etc from time to time i'll try to get into a current gen game but i always find myself not being able to get it in to said current gen i always assumed it's because they're past my time as being a child of the nintendo generation (8 bit will never die lol)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I like classic games as long as they aren't NES games.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

And what's wrong with the NES?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'd just be "trolling" if I posted my thoughts about it so I'll pass.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Now I'm even more curious.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    Now I'm even more curious.
    Would it be safe to assume that it's anything of the 8-bit era (Master System, Atari 7800) and before?
    Or maybe -tvtropes- it's popular so it sucks?
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks

I don't know why he DOESN'T like NES, but it's his right. I, however, love the NES and can't count the NES games I've played in the last month or so on both hands. . It had some awesome games. Most recent: Snake, Rattle, N' Roll.

There's some great posts up in here too. Glad to see I'm not such an oddball after all.
    Last edited by Lumian; 30th-September-2011 at 02:48.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SpiralPegasus View Post
    Would it be safe to assume that it's anything of the 8-bit era (Master System, Atari 7800) and before?
    Or maybe -tvtropes- it's popular so it sucks?
    Nah, it's because 98% of the games are unplayable imo. I can understand why people enjoy it but it's not my thing. I'll leave it at that.

Edit: For what it's worth I used to have a NES and tons of carts for it. I got out of that some years ago though, long before I came here. I saw the light and cashed out.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 30th-September-2011 at 02:59.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

And here I am, wanting to get my hands on an NES... but everybody I've seen is asking upwards of 90 bucks for one.

I'm not THAT into having the hardware.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah you can get one for less than that, unless you are wanting a top loader.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lumian View Post
    (I have played Modern Shooters btw, I OWN Borderlands. It just doesn't do much for me...).
    If you dont own 360 or ps3 why do you own borderlands? lol

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I was considering a top loader NES2 because of better reliability. But I've seen videos of the video quality when compared to the original mighty brick from a lack of RF shielding, so screw that.

Besides, it's not that hard to change the pins and/or disable the NES10 chip.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I sell them for $25 + ship when I have the original model w/ all hook-ups and a controller. I usually come across around 10 a summer that I get for next to nothing. <3 garage sales.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lumian View Post
    Okay, I consider myself a hardcore classic gamer. So hardcore in fact that I have not owned a modern system in years, and the few times I played one was because someone else wanted me to. I didn't enjoy it much. I admit to even being a bit elitist about it... I'll thumb my nose at most mdoern games on the basis that 'they aren't the same quality'. I usually find I am right. I have met a few modern games that are great, but they seem to me the exception not the norm. The very latest systems I have played with any consistency are XBOX, PS2, and Dreamcast and I don't play those much at all. My main systems are NES, SNES, N64, PSX, Genesis, Master System, and old arcade games (Pacman baby!). Also old windows dos games. Admittedly, I don't touch Atari or similar systems much so maybe I am not /too/ hardcore.
    theres nothing wrong at all i prefer older games as well as they give me more of a fun experince and isnt all abnout online and trophies last mordern system i had was dreamcast and ive recently bought a ps3 so my freinds would shut up....i play old stuff all day contaly and repeadly...who cares what others think they dont controll u...long live classic gaming im with ya

Anyway, I seem to be either an extreme minority or just very weird. I have a lot of gamer friends (some who grew up in the era of Zelda I, and Mario Bros. atleast) and they cannot understand why I prefer old games to new ones even if they used to play the games themselves. What's up with that? My friend is all 'You should buy a PS3 and plays Gears of War!' and I'm all 'Nah, I'm playing Turok. Go away.'. (I have played Modern Shooters btw, I OWN Borderlands. It just doesn't do much for me...).

So, do you have this problem? What do you think of it honestly? I am pretty sre its not just nostalgia for me because if it were it'd have worn off by now.
    who cares what others thinki. im a classic gamer too and the l;ast system i owned was a dreamcast...older games are better cuz its not all about online and trophies. im with ya on this one. yer fine you have your own prefrences and if people cant respect that then screwem

Thanks

I like new games and old games, its just that it takes a lot more research to find the best games for current gen since they haven't had 15-20+ years for people to play and review the best games. Indie games are some of the most amazing games I've ever played, but you really have to look them up and decide for yourself whether or not a certain type of game appeals to you.