Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Ashamed of being a gamer?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Fire View Post
    Never was ashamed of it, but I don't talk about it in certain company. If not because they just aren't interested, but because... well... I don't really see much point in talking about games unless we are on the same level. You know, other game fans. Not those with a media boosted (commercial/news) or casual interest. Speaking of which:

I was at the bar the other day and there were lots of strangers - including women, of course - and somehow games came up.

They were talking about Battlefield 3, and Modern Warfare, and asked me if I was into it. It makes me sick the amount of attention those games get because I've been playing games since Pong and they are certainly not the pinnacle of gaming that everyone seems to think they are. Just a rehashed idea with the latest gloss.

And so, I began to slam these games as baby stuff, and then I was asked what kind of games I like - then it hit me - I just made a joke and was basically like "touché". After playing tens of thousands of games, all I that came to mind was one thing - The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

I am ashamed to admit in public that I like RPGs. RPGs gamers are generally are seen as sweaty geeky losers with poor hygiene and pizza-face complexions... aren't they? Well, that's not the coolest thing to talk about in a bar: +5 Dagger with Chain Mail.

I guess we have to admit that games like MW and B3 bring in new gamers that wouldn't normally be interested in gaming. I guess it's cooler to shoot people. But I love Grand Theft Auto and all types of games, so I guess "it's cool" to mention that.

Next time.
    THis guy pretty much summed it up for me. Video games are not much for great conversation especially with "casual" players. I know a lot of people that play MW2, MW3, Battlefield, etc. But I can tell that they only play it maybe 3 times out of the week. Anyone who is an avid gamer can figure out when your peers/friends are BS'ing you into thinking that they are top notch players and they only play it 3 times out of the week for about 4 hours at the most. Especially being in the military, EVERYONE thinks they're awesome at these type of military tactical games. But if you go on XBL there are gonna be some kids who can quick scope your head off instantly.

I like all kinds of games and I disagree with the overrated quote "Don't you think you're too old to be playing video games?" We watch television and movies for entertainment right? Well, that's the same exact reason why anyone picks up a controller to play a video game. I don't speak much about my video game hobbies, I'll lose to my buddies from work in Halo or CoD just to make them think I don't play those games too much.

This is a pretty good thread though. Everyone has interesting opinions on whether you should be ashamed or not ashamed at being a gamer.

Thanks

I am 28 years old. Married, have a job, and generally do everything that is considered the "adult" thing to do, take care of my bills, clean my house, spend time with family and friends etc. I am also a gamer. I've always been a gamer. I live in northern utah. Here, being a gamer is neutral ground. There is not a lot to do for half the year unless you love freezing cold and can ski or snowboard etc. The cost of going out to eat or to the theatre is very high. So, staying at home and spending time with family, even playing games together-is consdiered perfectly normal as long as you still take care of business and are not the stereotypical "lives in parents basement, no job, rarely bathes, pasty creep" As long as you ull your weight-no one could care less if you game. Its actually encouraged in some circles here (namely for those who are unable or feel uncomfortable around large groups of people etc-diasabled, elderly, etc). So its not a bad community for gamers. It does however demand that you basically not be a total creepy leech.

Thanks

I will never be ashamed of something that is so fun. Plus in the pacific northwest it is always raining so there isn't shit else to do. I guess that's why a lot of the industry is located here... who knows? Video games FTW!!!