Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Suikoden!

Thanks

Default Let's talk about Suikoden!

This is a general discussion thread, about the Suikoden series. What you liked, what you didnt like, what you would have wanted to see, etc. I loved the way you got to see your own castle grow, by recruiting people to join your army. I liked alot of all the different personalities. It's one of my favorite rpg series of all time. I'll start this thread with giving some of my opinions on them. My favorite ones were, in this order
    (May contain some SPOILERS)

Suikoden 2: The story with Riou, Nanami, and Jowy, was one of the most touching experiences i've had. This game had many turns and twists, but the betrayal of your best childhood friend, was very devastating. I would of much rather had the Black Sword rune though This was also the first Suikoden I had ever played, renting it at Blockbuster for a week then going back and paying the full 9$ to purchase it. (Haha, what a steal! Check out the prices for this game on ebay!)

Suikoden 3: I loved the story involving Luc. Evil, but I just couldnt help feeling bad for the little fella. The war system was great, as well as the trinity system. Seeing the game from everyones perspective was really cool for me.

Suikoden 1: I thought the hero in this one (Tir) was pretty cool, as well as his True rune. It was pretty bad-ass. The story was good also, but for me wasnt as touching as the two listed above. The whole scenario with Tir's father was great, but for some reason i didnt feel "attatched" to any of the characters.

Suikoden 5: I liked this one, but the story to me wasnt that great. They changed alot of things (as games usually do with newer sequels) and maybe i was just stuck to the roots, but couldnt get into it as much as the others. Also, after you progress through the prologue and the hero switches clothes, he's pretty cool also. Aside from the weird silent-hero head gestures

Suikoden 4: The gameplay in this was pretty good to me, but the reason why it's last on my list is because of all the sea fighting. I can see why they thought it might have been cool to switch it up a little and bring things to the ocean, but personally i didnt really care for it. Also the hero was a fag. But his rune is pretty cool

Didn't really get into the branches of the series, such as Suikoden Tactics or Tierkreis. Heard they werent that great, so eh. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Yuber; 20th-September-2011 at 17:40.
    Chaos would suit me just fine.

Thanks
    EP Points

Tierkreis is decent not played tactics though. As far as the main series goes two in my opinion is also the best, it seems to be the game with the most thought out plot. one was o.k. but a little ho-hum to me got bored half way through still completed it though.
    suikoden 5 was good as well IMHO not great I can't put my finger on it but it seems that it's lacking something somewhere that the great ones had.

suikoden 4 was another one that bored me so much so that I never finished it.

never played 3 but have heard good things.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knightshade View Post
    suikoden 5 was good as well IMHO not great I can't put my finger on it but it seems that it's lacking something somewhere that the great ones had.

suikoden 4 was another one that bored me so much so that I never finished it.

never played 3 but have heard good things.
    Yeah 5 deffinetly had something missing. 4 i finished just for the sake of finishing it. And you HAVE to play 3 some time, it's simply amazing. What was Tierkreis like? I'm assuming you can recruit people as well?
    Last edited by Yuber; 20th-September-2011 at 20:50.

Thanks

So 2 and 3 are worth playing? I have only played the first one and sort of stopped half way through since it was kind of dull.
    Living life without doing what you want, now that's just a recipe for misery

Thanks

Post Suikoden <3

Wow, a topic about my favorite game ever.

Well what to say, I've written about this game in every possible forum I ever visited and have been apart of. There's no person that knows me as a gamer that doesn't know that it is the game I enjoyed and love the most.

First lets talk about the parts. As most people agree, Suiko 2 tends to be the best part out there, but it would not be complete without first one existing. For the ones that only played Suiko I, it's a game now 15 years old that was just a start to great series that prolongoed for more than half-dozen sequels.

I personally beated every Suiko game on the consoles out there, and I played Tierkreis but never finished it. As Suikoden II being my favorite one, I beated more than 20-30 times over last 10 years and it was the first game I ever played in my life, when I was just 9 or 10. Suikoden I, and III, I finished couple times, and all the other parts, including yucky Suiko IV, I finished at least 2 times, once regular first pass, and second one with focus on getting all 108 characters. IMO, that's the winning concept of this game, you get 108 people, mostly playable characters, that are supporting your cause whereas you get a castle/HQ where you settle to fight your war, and as you progress it upgrades/improves. Truly Epic.

Game is progressing through every part itself, some are sequels/prequels (I & II), III is bit after II, not related completely, IV is before all of them, and V is after IV. Tactics is related to IV, and Tierkreis has a world of its own. Heroes are silent, and that could be changed, but they are closely related to the plot so you feel the game deeply.

So that I don't brag too long, music is another aspect of the game that I enjoy ALLOT!; allot means that I own every OST CD out there, and some limited editions, and I have uploaded 5 -6 CD OST - so far - with best Suikoden Music.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL15D2BF2A0C9D112C

Suikoden II OST~ available @ Kynamitem0's channel

That being my channel. Besides that, I've made several tribute videos and what not, everything uploaded to the channel too. Check it out if you're the fan.

Most of them have thousands of views, and here's the most successful one. Please enjoy.

Spoiler warning:

P.s. my sig is selfmade too, and Yuber is my favorite character hence the username which is variation of Real Life nickname I have, Yubaa, variation of Yuber. The avatar is Flame Champion from Suiko 3.

Thanks for being a fan, sorry for the long reading.

Regards,

Yubs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IPITYTHEFOOLZ View Post
    So 2 and 3 are worth playing? I have only played the first one and sort of stopped half way through since it was kind of dull.
    Hell yeah! I can admit that if your new to the series, the first suikoden could be quite bleek. But Suikoden 2 was great in every aspect, as well as number 3, so you should deffinetly give them a go! Maybe after playing, your view on the first one might be a little different :

Yubson;

Same here in most cases, i beat them regularly first then after replayed to gather all 108 stars. I have beaten Suiko 2 atleast 7 times, as well as 3. Aside from the 108 stars, in 2 & 3 i really felt i had a 'relationship' (might be weird) with the characters. That is one of the key reasons why i loved those games so much. In number 2 i really felt a bond with Jowy, and in number 3 i really felt compassion for Luc. Also yeah Yuber is my fave too! As well as Pesmerga. And cool i'll check out your vids when im home, typing this on my iphone right now :s
    Last edited by Yuber; 21st-September-2011 at 16:22. Reason: please, don't double post, use the EDIT button.

Thanks
    EP Points

I played 4 a longgg time ago. Got to like the very end, and stopped playing. I enjoyed how many characters you can get, but I didn't much enjoy the game towards the last couple hours. I've heard the first couple games were legendary, but never really got around to playing them. Lost interest in the others after 4 tbh.

Thanks
    EP Points

don't let the forth ruin the experience man I recommend you at least try 2 if you don't try any other. two will blow your mind you really do get an attachment to the key characters of the game

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by megamanax View Post
    I played 4 a longgg time ago. Got to like the very end, and stopped playing. I enjoyed how many characters you can get, but I didn't much enjoy the game towards the last couple hours. I've heard the first couple games were legendary, but never really got around to playing them. Lost interest in the others after 4 tbh.
    Deffinetly try 2. If you have a love for RPG's, i gaurentee you will be most intrigued, to say the least.

Thanks

i never played this series before but im playing some ps1 rpg's so im going to give it a try, should i start with the first or second, or do they lead off from each other?
    LINK REMOVED - WAREZ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyp555 View Post
    i never played this series before but im playing some ps1 rpg's so im going to give it a try, should i start with the first or second, or do they lead off from each other?
    My recommendation would be that you play I than II, because you'll pass first part in no time - then you can dive into II which is much longer and comprehensive. And stories do connect.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's an interesting looking game. I tried it once long ago just for kicks but got sidetracked with another game and never made it all that far. I'm gonna have to try these out some time, there's always been a nice fan base for it so I guess it's worth it. Just a matter of finding the time with an already huge backlog of games I need to play!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyp555 View Post
    Yeah you should try Suikoden I first, as Yubson said they do connect. But I found the story in number II to be the inspiration that sparked my interest for this great series!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Yuber For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by captain handy View Post
    It's an interesting looking game. I tried it once long ago just for kicks but got sidetracked with another game and never made it all that far. I'm gonna have to try these out some time, there's always been a nice fan base for it so I guess it's worth it. Just a matter of finding the time with an already huge backlog of games I need to play!
    Yeah if you like RPG's then give it a shot, pay attention to the story and it will blow your mind

Yubson:
    What's your take on Luc from III? Evil or just...misguided?
    Last edited by Yuber; 21st-September-2011 at 16:22.

Thanks
    EP Points

I really have to play 3 I always liked Luc in the first two kind of liked his smart attitude, it'll be interesting to see how they developed him into an evil/misguided character

oh and yeah you can recruit characters in Tierkreis as well. your main character is not so much a silent protagonist any more.
    they done away with runes in this version you get your powers from books and only certain characters get them.
    you can connect to a friends world via wifi.
    the biggest draw back for me is the way you get around on the world map, instead of open world it's point and click style similar to final fantasy tactics and such.
    but all in all I'd say it was worth a play through or two.