Thread: Running emulators on PS3, please help a n00b?

Thanks

Default Running emulators on PS3, please help a n00b?

My laptop finally bit the dust, so now my huge collection of emulators and roms are unplayable. So I would like to get them running on my PS3 instead. I've looked around the site (admittedly not too hard sorry) and have googled this stuff extensively but I'm having trouble finding answers that fit my specific needs. I apologize in advance for having so many n00b questions here, and I thank everyone in advance for whatever help I can get.

I have a 160 GB PS3 slim. Purchased new in April 2011. Firmware is v.3.66. Yea, I did a few software updates before I knew that it would make emulation more difficult in the future. My bad...Ideally, I would like to be able to run NES, SNES, and PSX emulators on the machine. However, I will be satisfied with getting any emulators to run on it at all. So what can I do and how do I do it?

I'm assuming that I'll have to jailbreak the system or something, but would love a solution that doesn't involve that. However, I'm open to doing that if I have to. But I do have a few questions about it. Does jailbreaking the system void the warranty or anything? Is it reversable? Would it keep me from selling the system to gamestop in the future? I've also heard conflicting reports that say that jailbreaking your PS3 can keep you from playing games online or logging into the PSN, and that Sony can even disable your system if it's done. Is any of this true?

Thanks in advance, I will reward any helpful advice with cookies and/or naked movies.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfire187 View Post
    My laptop finally bit the dust, so now my huge collection of emulators and roms are unplayable. So I would like to get them running on my PS3 instead. I've looked around the site (admittedly not too hard sorry) and have googled this stuff extensively but I'm having trouble finding answers that fit my specific needs. I apologize in advance for having so many n00b questions here, and I thank everyone in advance for whatever help I can get.

I have a 160 GB PS3 slim. Purchased new in April 2011. Firmware is v.3.66. Yea, I did a few software updates before I knew that it would make emulation more difficult in the future. My bad...Ideally, I would like to be able to run NES, SNES, and PSX emulators on the machine. However, I will be satisfied with getting any emulators to run on it at all. So what can I do and how do I do it?

I'm assuming that I'll have to jailbreak the system or something, but would love a solution that doesn't involve that. However, I'm open to doing that if I have to. But I do have a few questions about it. Does jailbreaking the system void the warranty or anything? Is it reversable? Would it keep me from selling the system to gamestop in the future? I've also heard conflicting reports that say that jailbreaking your PS3 can keep you from playing games online or logging into the PSN, and that Sony can even disable your system if it's done. Is any of this true?

Thanks in advance, I will reward any helpful advice with cookies and/or naked movies.
    You can't on your PS3. CFW/Jailbreak requires 3.55 firmware or lower and the only downgrade method requires opening the system.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What about that USB dongle thing? I thought that was a hardware way to bypass all of this, much like the jigkick battery on the PSP?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by !nstaGib View Post
    What about that USB dongle thing? I thought that was a hardware way to bypass all of this, much like the jigkick battery on the PSP?
    That will only work if your PS3 is one 3.41 firmware or below. He's pretty much S.O.L. since he's on 3.66. Allthough there's a device called the E3 Flasher, that is coming out soon, that will also allow you to downgrade your firmware. You will still need to open it up, and some soldering is involved.

If you just want a decent platform to play emulators on I would suggest just getting an original XBOX. EVERY XBOX is moddable, and the process doesn't require soldering. Plus there are more emulators ported for the XBOX, and they're updated much more frequently.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    That will only work if your PS3 is one 3.41 firmware or below. He's pretty much S.O.L. since he's on 3.66. Allthough there's a device called the E3 Flasher, that is coming out soon, that will also allow you to downgrade your firmware. You will still need to open it up, and some soldering is involved.

If you just want a decent platform to play emulators on I would suggest just getting an original XBOX. EVERY XBOX is moddable, and the process doesn't require soldering. Plus there are more emulators ported for the XBOX, and they're updated much more frequently.
    It's supposed to be solderless for slims. Progskeet can downgrade, it requires a crazy amount of soldering, and it's definitely not for beginners.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    It's supposed to be solderless for slims. Progskeet can downgrade, it requires a crazy amount of soldering, and it's definitely not for beginners.
    From the site's FAQ.

The limited version need solder some points on NOR FLASH SLIM CONSOLE, no need any wire.
    The flex PCB will still need to be soldered onto points on the mainboard according the the manual. It's just somewhat easier since you don't have to use wires.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

From the site's FAQ.

The flex PCB will still need to be soldered onto points on the mainboard according the the manual. It's just somewhat easier since you don't have to use wires.
    Oh, still easier than Progskeet.

Thanks

Yeah hard luck, I know. I was hoping to make mine modable as well just to get the same news the OP got. I am still sure that higher firmware versions will be modable eventually. Best I could suggest is don't update your firmware any further, and when a higher version gets hacked/cracked, anything below will be modable. I almost never play on PSN anyway, so its not a big loss for me, and I don't buy DLC either.

Remember, the hackers always win in the end. Be patient and it will happen.

Speaking of DLC is there any way to get that on a modded system?
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 17th-September-2011 at 22:03.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonedge View Post
    Yeah hard luck, I know. I was hoping to make mine modable as well just to get the same news the OP got. I am still sure that higher firmware versions will be modable eventually. Best I could suggest is don't update your firmware any further, and when a higher version gets hacked/cracked, anything below will be modable. I almost never play on PSN anyway, so its not a big loss for me, and I don't buy DLC either.

No, I don't know why.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonedge View Post

I think I heard something about possibly being able to install DLC on Rebug CFW. Although I haven't tried it yet, seeing as how I'm still on 3.41 OFW and using a dongle.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I think I heard something about possibly being able to install DLC on Rebug CFW. Although I haven't tried it yet, seeing as how I'm still on 3.41 OFW and using a dongle.
    As am I. I plan on switching over to JFW when it's out (assuming there is no chance of bricking), they've been working on CFW worth using.

Thanks

Getting an Xbox isn't a bad idea at all. I could probably find one for cheap and I wouldn't have to sacrifice my PSN stuff. Thanks guys.