Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why are they putting RPG elements in more and more games these days?

Thanks

Default Why are they putting RPG elements in more and more games these days?

They are putting things like shops, equipment and drops, quests in too many games that were traditionally action or FPSs. They are throwing a bunch of extra stuff in these games without really adding any quality content to support it. Are they just feeding the grinder/trophy whore mentality? I am all for a good RPG but when I play an action game or FPS, I don't want it to feel like I'm playing an RPG or grinding in any way. A perfect example would be what they did to the megaman series. Most of the old school games were not filled with a bunch of repetitive grinding. I typically don't grind very much in games, so I just rush through them, and they are very, very short games if you don't factor in the grinding it takes to fully complete it. And people who actually do a full completion are so fed up with it when they are done that they have no intention of ever replaying it, so they also have no replay value. And many of these new age RPGs are starting to feel like single player MMORPGs in their actual game play. Xenoblade Chronicles for example, sure its an RPG but I got so bored with all of the quests they were throwing at me which were just like MMORPG quests, go get X item from X enemy, or go kill X number of X enemy, etc. And they overcomplicated it by making different people only appear at certain times of day, etc, so you could easily miss one even if you had the intention of doing a full completion. Grind anyone? Stuff like this really adds nothing extra to a game, its just pointless, repetitive grinding. Without all this it would be a 25-30 hour game.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 12th-September-2011 at 13:18.

Thanks

A better example would be Dead Island or even Metroidvania (Castlevania: SOTN, DOS, etc...) it seems kinda pointless to me as well. What happened to the old school rpgs like Final Fantasy, Chrono trigger or even the Elder Scrolls series? it seems to me they add it in for grinding acheivements like you said but to try and get more out of gameplay. I dislike it as well cause it dont belong in a lot of games but there it is.
    The bird of hermes is my name. Eating my wings to make me tame.

Thanks

You seriously don't remember the grindfest in FF1?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brokensaint82 View Post
    A better example would be Dead Island or even Metroidvania (Castlevania: SOTN, DOS, etc...) it seems kinda pointless to me as well. What happened to the old school rpgs like Final Fantasy, Chrono trigger or even the Elder Scrolls series? it seems to me they add it in for grinding acheivements like you said but to try and get more out of gameplay. I dislike it as well cause it dont belong in a lot of games but there it is.
    I greatly dislike the trophies in games, which were originally an MMORPG aspect they happened to just throw into every single game. And they don't even give you the option of disabling trophies in these games. Every time I get a trophy for doing something pointless, it just interrupts my game by showing up on the screen. A trophy achievement is just a waste of space for the 2 seconds its on my screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mario View Post
    You seriously don't remember the grindfest in FF1?
    Sarcasm? You mean the one or 2 quests they actually had in the game? The entire game was dungeon hopping, which isn't really grinding IMO. Kill everything you fight, and you should get plenty of XP and money to buy what you need. And you don't even need to buy stuff for your Black Belt/Masters, and they pawn everything. The original FF1 was a tough game, you could get unlucky and get ambushed and many enemies had stat effects/instant death attacks and could wipe your group no matter what level they are. Earth cave, ambushed by 9 cockatrice, Stone, Stone, Stone, Stone, GGS.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 12th-September-2011 at 13:34.

Thanks

Meh, I dont really mind acheivements and such they dont bother me when i'm playing a game and blip *you have unlocked an acheivement* that pops up my exact reaction is....ok cool *keeps playing game* its a small distraction. I know the purpose they have, so people can feel like they have accomplished something but really it does nothing.

Thanks

I liked Castlevania SOTN, and they give you the best weapon for free with no grinding, the Alucard shield + shield rod. I personally thought the game was too easy. Most of the enemy drops were useless anyway. Now if they had a bunch of NPCs around giving you pointless quests, kill X number of X enemy, and put trophies in, the game would have been retarded.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 12th-September-2011 at 13:45.

Thanks

Oh dont get me wrong I liked it to, so much that I got it on XBL, though the Sega Saturn version was far superior IMO

Thanks

Oh dont get me wrong I liked it to, so much that I got it on XBL, though the Sega Saturn version was far superior IMO
    The PS1 version ran better, and the Saturn version only had an extra secret room or 2, and nothing really useful in them.

You could spend 2-3 hrs grinding those ghosts for a Crissaegrim sword, but with an emulator and save states you could get one in 5 minutes. Save right before the kill swing, and you can get 1 kill per second, 5 x 60 = 300, its about a 1 in 300 drop. I abuse the hell out of save states to get stuff to drop in these games in a small fraction of the time it would normally take.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 12th-September-2011 at 13:56.

Thanks

A game i'm torn on as far as RPG elements is Mass Effect. In the first one they were used in a pretty decent way i thought but then totally rehashed and taken away in 2. It confuses me why they did that.

Thanks

A game i'm torn on as far as RPG elements is Mass Effect. In the first one they were used in a pretty decent way i thought but then totally rehashed and taken away in 2. It confuses me why they did that.
    I liked the first Mass Effect better than 2. Also liked Dragon Age better than Dragon Age 2. They completely screwed the modders in Dragon Age 2, as far as I know they still haven't released a tool set. Games like TES Oblivion, the modding community really improved the game. This is one of the reasons PC versions are always superior to console releases. Bethesda I am sure would release a tool set for Skyrim, because they have acknowledged that modded content has contributed greatly to the sales of both Morrowind and Oblivion, and it costs them nothing extra. You figured Bioware would be using the same logic, but instead they see modders competing with their DLC sales.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 12th-September-2011 at 14:07.

Thanks

I havent gotten around to Dragon Age 1 or 2 yet...........I'm slow i know its on my gamefly que though

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well It all started with the music industry mixing rap and rock

It just naturally spread to gaming thats all

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    Well It all started with the music industry mixing rap and rock

It just naturally spread to gaming thats all
    I lol'd. I would definitely agree with the premise of this thread. I'm not a fan of RPG elements randomly appearing in games.

Thanks
    EP Points

I havent gotten around to Dragon Age 1 or 2 yet...........I'm slow i know its on my gamefly que though
    lol I know what you mean neither have I. I'm just planning on purchasing a copy though I don't use Gamefly.
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks

I would buy one as well but until I try it out idk I dont just buy games based on reveiews i try a demo or if my friend has it I'll try it at his place. I dont trust reviews of games for the most part cuz they are opinion peices and not really statements of facts.