Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Mega Man X Thread

Thanks
    EP Points

Eh, I thought the process of getting Hadouken was a lot easier. Maybe it's because I played X so much more than X2 since I owned it earlier. Btw, best stage ever is Frost Walrus in X4 since it shows all the previous ice-themed bosses frozen in the background.

Thanks

I owned X before X2 as well, got both of them directly after the release, but in X2 I found the Shoryuken on my own, in X, I had to look up the way how to get the Hadouken...
    Yeah, the frozen bosses are cool

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbad View Post
    Megaman 2 still the best of all megaman games.
    Quote Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey View Post
    2 is just a worse version of 3.

I think, anyway.
    I agree with both of these statements.

Not really. MM2 was a great game, and while there is a huge argument about which one was the best of the original series, my vote usually goes to MM3. That's not a bash against MM2, since I still love that game so much, but I prefer MM3.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiralPegasus View Post
    2 is overrated as all hell and one of the least deserving "BEST MEGAMAN" title EVER.
    Take off your nostalgia goggles.
    MM2 was miserable. All it had was a heaven-sent ear-honey soundtrack.
    Gameplay wise 3, 6 and 8 were better.
    Level design? All after were better.
    Art wise all games after were better.
    How was MM2 miserable? You haven't really described why...

Honestly, it was a very innovative game. It had enough difficulty to make it a challenge, but not so much that it was impossible for a casual gamer (curse you, Battletoads ). It had distinctive and individual levels, and some cool bosses (okay, not all of them were cool. Bubble Man, seriously?). And honestly, I thought it was the best done Wily's Fortress out of the entire original series. Hands down. The battle with the dragon? So much fun. An actual puzzle to solve? It was the only Mega Man game on the NES to do so.

Sure, you couldn't slide or charge your Buster. But that's not really that big of a deal.

And how was 6 better than 2? I felt like the game took a massive drop in quality from the previous title (MM5). Most of the levels looked bland and boring; the boss fights were way too easy (well, the entire game in general were way too easy), and I felt like the use of Rush as an "adapter" was just... unimaginative. Also, they were really starting to stretch the Robot Masters by that point. I can at least agree with MM3 and MM8 being notable entries in the series, as they both took things in a slightly different direction and "improved" on the initial concept of the game. I felt like MM6 was a huge leap backwards, in all honesty.

Anyways. On topic, while I enjoy the X series a lot, I find that I don't go back and play them as often as I do the original series. My absolute favourite was the first game, MMX... I didn't really enjoy MMX2 that much, and MMX3 felt like it was trying to add too much stuff into too small of a game. If they had started to expand beyond the "8 Bosses" rule that they're trying to stick to, and made a few more levels or made the levels generally larger and longer, I think it would have flowed a bit better. I enjoyed using the Ride Armour, but their sections were so short. MMX5 and MMX6, I don't talk about (seriously. Naming the Mavericks in the US after Guns 'n' Roses band members? C'mon....), and while I actually did have a bit of fun with MMX6, I just can't go back and play it. It just doesn't feel right, and felt too disjointed from the rest of the series. I've never played MMX7 and 8, and I intend to keep it that way.

Although I have to admit, playing as Zero in MMX4 was a lot of fun. I wish they had managed to keep the pace of that game across the remainder of the X series, since I thought X4 was one of the most exciting X games to play. It moved fast, it responded beautifully to controls (Zero would actually do what I told him to do!!), and it was all around just a fantastic game to play. After playing X4, I felt like X5 and X6 were too slow and clunky.

Anyways. That's my two cents. Take it for what it's worth (nothing).

Thanks

X6 feels incredibly disjointed because the series was slated to end after X5. The revival/retcon process was rather rushed as well.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well I was close to beating Megaman X2 today, but while trying to close another window I accidentally close my ZSNES window and now I have to start over again. T_T

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

X6 had about a year of development and didn't involve Inafune in any way; I don't think anybody told him about X6 until it was deep into the process. The thing is, they say Inafune had to change the Zero series to take X6 into account; why? Seriously, he should have just said "Not canon!" and been done with it. But it seems he might consider all the games canon, in which case... really? Quint is canon? REALLY NOW?!

But anyway, X6 is just a piece of garbage. The music is epic as all Hell, which is its only saving grace; the armors are basically just modifications of the X5 armors which, if I recall correctly, weren't even added until a beta about 3 months before release. The game was a horrible mess of bad stage design and obscene amounts of spikes; the only challenge the game gave was spikes. Lots of spikes. Dear God, anybody who played Gate's Lab can attest to the SPIKES. And the Nightmare System... the thing that can kill save games. Yeah, you thought Metal Shark Player's stage was bad? Try playing that after beating Blizzard Wolfang; ice covers everything making already tight fits even tighter and now you slip.

Hell, just try playing the game without Zero at all; you'll come to miss his double jump so much. Which I've done. Twice. Because X Collection demanded it.

X7 was bad mostly because of load times. Thousands of them. Horrible voice acting didn't help, especially when you got it after every stage in story segments. Sometimes involving X whining because the people who wrote X7 decided to make X into an uber peace loving, whiny little jerk. Axl isn't really needed because he's just a light version of X who, upon getting him, is basically the Axl replacer. Even with powering up, Axl is no match for X; the armor he gets more than makes up for any faults.

Which reminds me, the X7 armor sucks. Gliding is inferior to the air dash, the armor is basically X2's armor piece, the buster is X1's and the helmet is, as always, worthless. For all the crap I give it, atleast X6 tried to bring back the VERTICAL air dash, something I've wanted back since X3.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Fischer View Post
    About the armor, I just hated this thing of getting all the parts before using the complete armor on X5 and X6. It was much better when you only needed the leg part to simply air dash. Is X7 the same?
    No, no it's not. It's a billion times worse.
    You have to unlock X. I'm not kidding. X is an unlockable character.
    You just have to find a capsule part to use it. However it's not that much of a difference.
    The air dash blows. The rest of the parts are your typical "charge weapons" "reduce damage", etc.

X doesn't add much to the game to be honest. Fans hate Axl, but he's the best character in the game.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Almighty MegaMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SpiralPegasus View Post
    No, no it's not. It's a billion times worse.
    You have to unlock X. I'm not kidding. X is an unlockable character.
    You just have to find a capsule part to use it. However it's not that much of a difference.
    The air dash blows. The rest of the parts are your typical "charge weapons" "reduce damage", etc.

X doesn't add much to the game to be honest. Fans hate Axl, but he's the best character in the game.
    Seems I'll have to live with it, since the game is like that. I've been searching, and it looks like to unlock X I need to save 64 reploids, or defeat all 8 mavericks? Thats not fun at all! Axl may be better than Zero (his saber may do more damage, but when I get near an enemy, I take damage by the simplest arm movement it makes, and sometimes I just get thrown backwards), but Axl's bullets are too weak. I'm not liking this game, and one of the reasons is that it doesn't respond well to my jumps.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well, after beating the game you can use that to do a new game plus, which allows you to play through the game again with X unlocked from the start, and it resets all the Reploids, while letting your characters keep the upgrades they've gotten. So you can keep going and max out everybody, and never have to unlock X ever again.

... Not that you'd want to play X7 again...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    Well, after beating the game you can use that to do a new game plus, which allows you to play through the game again with X unlocked from the start, and it resets all the Reploids, while letting your characters keep the upgrades they've gotten. So you can keep going and max out everybody, and never have to unlock X ever again.

... Not that you'd want to play X7 again...
    At least it's a good thing about this game. Let's see until where I can get.

Thanks

Everything up to X4 was really good, but after that it sorta got bland for me. X2 was my favorite one.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'll put some of my input.
    X1: Awesome start for the series, I loved the darker plotline and Zero's death scene. Music was great - even the non-fan-favorite themes kick ass.

X2: Very nice expansion of the first game, better levels, music still rocks. The side quest for Zero is neat, too, even though the side battles are a bit annoying.

X3: This one SUCKS. It's not worthy of "SUCKS", but it's mediocre. It lacks emotion, level design is boring, art is uninspired, the music is awful (minus gravity beetle). The Ride Armors were nice, and I liked how the bosses later on change depending on how did you beat Bit and Byte.

X4: Oh bloody hell, I love this one. I don't know exactly why - maybe it's the weapons, maybe it's the levels, maybe it's the kickass armor. No, wait, it's because of Zero, but the rest adds a lot, too.

X5: I like how the plotline twists depending on what you do. It's got nice music, very good level design, and letting you switch between X and Zero was really nice.
    However the time limit was annoying. And Dynamo. Oh man, FUCK DYNAMO.
    Although I kinda like X6, it might've been better if the series ended here. Would have been a glorious end.

X6: Pros: Absolute best soundtrack on the X series, bar none. Maybe even in all of Mega Man. The art deserves a lot of praise. Myself, I like the bosses here (particularly Heatnix).
    Cons: Level design at it's absolute WORST. Pits, pits, pits!!
    WHO THE FUCK CODED SENTSUIZAN TO SEND ME DOWNWARDS WHEN I PRESS UP!?! WHOEVER YOU ARE, OUT THERE, FUCK YOU!!

X7: This one isn't as bad as most people make it out to be. Unlocking X sucks but Axl plays quite well. The soundtrack is the worst on the whole series, the model characters do look grainy (even with component cables....), but it still manages to be worthy of the Mega Man title.

What sucks most about X7 is that at first you have to play through the levels many times to get upgrades (because of how underpowered are the player characters).

X8 is waiting until I finish X7.

Maverick Hunter X was an A-grade remake. The only thing that it would have needed would've been Zero as a playable character and
    Spoiler warning:
    Vile's gameplay to feature more than ONE song.

I can't even recall the GBC games.

That's all there is... no?
    Last edited by The Almighty MegaMan; 11th-September-2011 at 17:46.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks
    EP Points

If Capcom makes a X9, I hope they release it to PC as well, but as of now they are canceling many games of the series (Legends 3 and Universe), we cannot hope too much for a new X. But they are rebooting DMC, they could reboot Megaman too.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just beat Megaman X3, so easy. Lol.

Now to beat X and X2.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GameHelpOnline View Post
    Just beat Megaman X3, so easy. Lol.

Now to beat X and X2.
    X3 was way easier than the end of X2 in my opinion, but once again, I played X2 the least of the first 3 even though it was my favorite. I finally got a cart of X2 from my roommate at college this last year though.