Thread: A helping hand, please - What ARE these games?

OldTimerDS Guest

Default A helping hand, please - What ARE these games?

I am interested in any and all games in the 'Metroidvania' category. I recently grabbed one called 'Monster Tale', and I was enjoying it quite a bit. (I'm stuck at a boss...dammit...) Tell me, what OTHER games fit this free-roaming, SNES Metroid sort of set-up?
    Also, I very much enjoy the Resident Evil games. I know of 'Deadly Silence', but are there any others? I was going to also ask on my wife's behalf, but she pretty much devours ANYthing. (Pokemon, Kingdom Heart, Layton, Picross, platformers, Golden Sun, etc.etc...) I would very much love to hear about any DS games that are in the vein of THESE:

Resident Evil
    Silent Hill
    Punch-Out!
    Metroid
    Castlevania
    Creepy stuff
    Maniac Mansion
    Streets of Rage
    3D platformers (Love this one called 'Sphinx' for PS2....its one of her favorites of all time....)
    Zelda

.....And any of YOUR recommendations as well, please!

OH, also, if someone with the know-how and a great deal of PATIENCE could message me at some point in regards to the AceKard and soforth, I'd be SUPREMELY grateful! (I have FAR too many questions about the DS emulation process, I'd end up making FAR too many posts.....I'm looking for someone that can walk me through the various steps from locating the games, to transmitting them to the card, arranging things, what is the better set-up for what I'm into, tips and advice, etc etc..)

Thanks a million times over in advance, I am indebted to the emulation gods!

Cheers

Thanks
    EP Points

The only DS Metroidvanias I can think of right now are the three Castlevania games - Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia.

There's Okamiden as well, which I've never played, but it's the DS spinoff/sequel (not sure which ) of Okami on the PS2, which was basically a Zelda type of game. I'm guessing the DS version is the same.

OldTimerDS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    The only DS Metroidvanias I can think of right now are the three Castlevania games - Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia.

There's Okamiden as well, which I've never played, but it's the DS spinoff/sequel (not sure which ) of Okami on the PS2, which was basically a Zelda type of game. I'm guessing the DS version is the same.
    ^ Yup, I have those Castlevania games. I am working my way towards the Ecclesia one....I heard it was the most difficult. I think that she may have grabbed that 'Okamiden', is that the little wolf game where you draw at the screen? It looks good to me.

I know and understand that I can enjoy most of my NES/SNES/Genesis favorites on my DS, but what of OTHER games? How do I find out about the 'capacity' of a given game? (for lack of a better term there..) I mean, I obviously know that Atari 2600 Defender takes up less 'space' than, say, Onimusha for PS2, but beyond that, I'm friggin CLUEless. For example, can N64 games be played via an AceKard? ...Atari Lynx games? ....PS1 games? ....Sega Master System games? (See what I'm trying to say, or?)

(By the by, for some odd reason, my eyes keep focusing on that anime girl you have pictured there.....maybe its her huge. pert breasts popping OUT at me...huh...)

Cheers

Thanks

Technically the PSP is a better hand held for emulating other systems than the DS is. There are a ton of emulation options for the PSP but you have to get a version of it that you can install the custom firmware to run the emulators. I think that possibly any PSP firmware can be cracked now, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Best way to explain firmware is to compare it to an operating system for a PC, like Windows or Linux.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 22nd-September-2011 at 22:02.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimerDS View Post
    ^ Yup, I have those Castlevania games. I am working my way towards the Ecclesia one....I heard it was the most difficult. I think that she may have grabbed that 'Okamiden', is that the little wolf game where you draw at the screen? It looks good to me.

I know and understand that I can enjoy most of my NES/SNES/Genesis favorites on my DS, but what of OTHER games? How do I find out about the 'capacity' of a given game? (for lack of a better term there..) I mean, I obviously know that Atari 2600 Defender takes up less 'space' than, say, Onimusha for PS2, but beyond that, I'm friggin CLUEless. For example, can N64 games be played via an AceKard? ...Atari Lynx games? ....PS1 games? ....Sega Master System games? (See what I'm trying to say, or?)
    Yeah, that's the wolf game. It's indeed pretty good from what I heard.

Actually, I've only really played DS games on my DS. I haven't dabbled in anything else, but as it's been mentioned above, your options are somewhat limited compared to a PSP. But I'm fairly certain you can't run PS1 or N64 games on it, the the most obvious reason being that the DS's hardware isn't strong enough to run them. If you want to play those, you're better off just running them on your PC; there are emulators for both N64 and PS1.

(By the by, for some odd reason, my eyes keep focusing on that anime girl you have pictured there.....maybe its her huge. pert breasts popping OUT at me...huh...)

Cheers
    Oh, I'm sure you'll get used to it, like everyone else here. Having avatars like that is kind of my thing.

OldTimerDS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Yeah, that's the wolf game. It's indeed pretty good from what I heard.

Actually, I've only really played DS games on my DS. I haven't dabbled in anything else, but as it's been mentioned above, your options are somewhat limited compared to a PSP. But I'm fairly certain you can't run PS1 or N64 games on it, the the most obvious reason being that the DS's hardware isn't strong enough to run them. If you want to play those, you're better off just running them on your PC; there are emulators for both N64 and PS1.

Oh, I'm sure you'll get used to it, like everyone else here. Having avatars like that is kind of my thing.
    In regards to your picture, oh, I'm already 'used' to it.....hmmmm...reminds me of this one weekend when I was about 17....we all decided to get a $25 hotel room and a bunch of..... Errrrr.....so then......where was I...

Ah yes, the PSP. We both strongly favor Nintendo's handhelds, but I have three of the 'fat' PSPs sitting in a dresser drawer. These are SEXY systems for sure, but they sit there because, well, our DSs have the AceKards. The ones that we have were never touched or messed with by kids, nope, they were adult owned and rarely touched at all; they look like they slipped right outta their boxes, actually. I have heard tales of "hacking" these beautiful fatties, but I have NO earthly clue as to HOW.
    (note: I bought Castlevania: Rondo of Blood for PSP because within the game you can unlock Symphony of the Night, one of my "ohhhhhhh lorddddd....better than a b*&@$ob" games, but sadly, I havent had the skill lately to be ABLE to unlock it. If I could play SOTN on a HANDHELD, oh cripes, I'd probably drop dead and fly through the ceiling with joy.)

Is this the right place to inquire as to 'hacking' one or more of these porcine lovelies?

Thanks a million, cheers!

Thanks

In regards to your picture, oh, I'm already 'used' to it.....hmmmm...reminds me of this one weekend when I was about 17....we all decided to get a $25 hotel room and a bunch of..... Errrrr.....so then......where was I...

Ah yes, the PSP. We both strongly favor Nintendo's handhelds, but I have three of the 'fat' PSPs sitting in a dresser drawer. These are SEXY systems for sure, but they sit there because, well, our DSs have the AceKards. The ones that we have were never touched or messed with by kids, nope, they were adult owned and rarely touched at all; they look like they slipped right outta their boxes, actually. I have heard tales of "hacking" these beautiful fatties, but I have NO earthly clue as to HOW.
    (note: I bought Castlevania: Rondo of Blood for PSP because within the game you can unlock Symphony of the Night, one of my "ohhhhhhh lorddddd....better than a b*&@$ob" games, but sadly, I havent had the skill lately to be ABLE to unlock it. If I could play SOTN on a HANDHELD, oh cripes, I'd probably drop dead and fly through the ceiling with joy.)

Is this the right place to inquire as to 'hacking' one or more of these porcine lovelies?

Thanks a million, cheers!
    SOTN can be played on a modded PSP. They can emulate PS1 games. I don't have a PSP, but someone who does I'm sure could tell you what you need to do to mod it. I don't think it requires buying anything.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'd say the Sony systems subforum would probably be the best place for asking about PSP custom firmwares and such. I'm fairly certain people would answer your questions all the same if you just asked them here in this thread, but you'll probably get more attention/replies in the proper section. You'll notice there's also a bunch of sticky threads there at the top that just might answer your questions about the PSP, so be sure to check them out first.

OldTimerDS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonedge View Post
    SOTN can be played on a modded PSP. They can emulate PS1 games. I don't have a PSP, but someone who does I'm sure could tell you what you need to do to mod it. I don't think it requires buying anything.
    Seriously? No way, you are pulling my pud.... I'm sure there MUST be some sort of component or device to buy....

Cheers

Thanks

the only metroid vania type of game that comes to mind right now is cave story, not sure if it was ever released on the ds though. (theres a psp homebrew and 3ds game as far as i know though).

Thanks

PC is great for emulation compared to the PSP\DS. I have the Xperia play by Sony Ericsson the best portable device for emulation. I am revisiting FF9 at the moment and after a bit of tweaking it runs well. Also I started playing majora's mask the other week. All seem to work well and you have the built in pad as well as the phone stuff.

There may be a DC emulator but rumours are suggesting it might be a push for the current Xperia models snap dragon processor.

Certainly a good option if you want mobile emulators though and doesn't require much work whereas the PSP needs custom firmware.